Would like advice on which detector.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XLOOX, I agree with you but you forgot one thing, Coiltek has 3 different sizes of aftermarket coils available for the Minelab SDC2300 which makes it even better::
https://coiltek.com.au/coils/gold-extreme-series/
yeah i have the 14x9 and the 10x5.

I got the 14x9 first and it is deeper without losing sensitivity vs the ML8 but makes the detector unbalanced and I fatigue quicker.

The 10x5 is awesome. it seems to go at least as deep as the ML8 and def finds smaller stuff - even so small that my mates 6000 couldnt see them :).

I can swing it all day and into tight spots and grass.

new fave coil...

yeah i have the 14x9 and the 10x5.

I got the 14x9 first and it is deeper without losing sensitivity vs the ML8 but makes the detector unbalanced and I fatigue quicker.

The 10x5 is awesome. it seems to go at least as deep as the ML8 and def finds smaller stuff - even so small that my mates 6000 couldnt see them :).

I can swing it all day and into tight spots and grass.

new fave coil...
XLOOX, wow thank you that is an excellent report. Just what I was looking for. I do not have a SDC2300 but I do own a GPX6000 (with a NF 12x7 Xceed) so that is interesting to know for shallow exposed bedrock hunting that the SDC2300 with a Coiltek 10x5 coil would be the best option better than the GPX6000, if the SDC2300 picks up smaller gold that the GPX6000 could not see 😃.

Also maybe get a ‘bungee cord’ to reduce the heavy weight of the Coiltek 14x9 coil on the SDC2300.?

Google it he gives a day free for travel based in marmion Perth I’d put a link but not sure if it’s allowed

XLOOX, wow thank you that is an excellent report. Just what I was looking for. I do not have a SDC2300 but I do own a GPX6000 (with a NF 12x7 Xceed) so that is interesting to know for shallow exposed bedrock hunting that the SDC2300 with a Coiltek 10x5 coil would be the best option better than the GPX6000, if the SDC2300 picks up smaller gold that the GPX6000 could not see 😃.

Also maybe get a ‘bungee cord’ to reduce the heavy weight of the Coiltek 14x9 coil on the SDC2300.?
i have bungee and used the 14x9 for 18m straight . its not terrible just not a balanced setup like with the std coil or 10x5

Also caution with the 6000 comparison. Yes on bed rock SDC + 10x5 will give the 6000 with 11 a good run for its money but go to a little deeper area or add a 10x5 to the 6000 and it is back to being king of the crumbs.

Last edited:
I bought a sdc for my daughter and the odd nighttime swing around camp.
Ive got the 14 and the 11in they love hot rocks and make an already awkward machine even more awkward, differently a bungy with the 14x9, but the biggest problem is not being able the fold it up with the coilteks.
I’ve come to the realisation to keep it simple and master one coil and maybe my problem is thinking I’m missing gold, I would have found with the original coil, If you the got time have a play around with settings before you dig, obviously there’s not much you can do with the sdc apart from sensitivity threshold and pitch.
Only my opinion and don’t doubt after market coils are capable.

OzChris, I wouldn't buy a VLF machine these days for gold detecting. They will find gold but a PI machine is superior. There will always be gold out there that any detector will find simply because it is just under the surface and people have walked away from it thinking it is rubbish. In highly mineralized ground the VLF detector will drive you nuts.

I detected back in the 80's with a Goldseekers 9000 then the Minelab Goldseekers 15000 from 1983 to 1990. I didn't detect again until 2014 when I bought the then 20 year old SD2000. I bought it because I wasn't sure how long I would be detecting for so didn't want to outlay a lot of money. For the first 12 months I used it exclusively then the GPX5000 for the next 7 months then the GPZ7000 which I have been using since.

If you are restricted by the $1500.00 maximum then you won't be able to get a SDC2300 or even anything more than a GPX4000 if you are really lucky.
I suggest you get on Gumtree or something similar and look for metal detectors in the $1500 maximum cost and see what comes up. You might get lucky and get a GPX4000 (the first of the digital detectors). You never know when a real bargain pops up. With your $1500.00 maximum limit, that is why I suggested the SD2000. It's a PI detector, only has 2 channels so is simple to use, can use all the coils up to the GPX5000 and is cheap.
The big disadvantage with all secondhand detectors is that they are old and Minelab WILL NOT repair any of them. I think the last detector they will now service/repair might be the GPX4500. Minelab will not repair any of the other superseded detectors so if you buy one and it develops a fault then you will need to find someone who can and will repair it.
If you do buy secondhand make sure you get to test it OUT IN THE BUSH. It is almost impossible to test if a detector works within the suburban area due to all of the electrical interference.

The GM1000 comes with a very tiny 100mm coil but I believe you can also purchase a larger coil. (I may be wrong). It is highly sensitive to tiny bits of gold but doesn't go too deep.
The advantage of the GM1000 is that it will be a new machine and have full warranty. It might be your best choice if your parents just enjoy being out in the bush enjoying life. That might be the best gift to them.

Regards Axtyr.

Latest posts