Which gold detector to buy?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I would quickly put the 705 out of your head if I were you and personally I would not buy a second hand unit unless it had a transferable warranty of at least 12 months. I would buy a new one from a dealer who has repair facilities and carried spare parts. And find one with a pleasant bedside manner. I think one you should put on the shopping list is the Racer 2 at just under 1K. If would be great with the 15 inch coil if you have more cash and have the time to look for larger nuggets. Why I have recommended this unit is it runs on a lower frequency and has an excellent sat system so will cope with goldfields conditions better than the high frequency VLF,s. It also has an uncomplicated easy to navigate menu system and modern design.

Rob;

Thanks for your response wish I knew half as much about detectors as I do radios!
As for buying second-hand, definitely no offence to anyone here but I am wary of doing so - mainly because right now I would not know a lemon from a humdinger, as you stated warranty is worth its weight in gold.

What about the Nokta IMPACT 3 freq Detector PRO PACK, I see that on the PhaseTech website, say compared to the Garrett AT-Max International, is it (in your opinion) better or worse? I don't know how well the AT-Max Int would perform either, I've just watched a lot of video on it, and from what I have seen it seems to perform pretty well and it was within my price bracket of $1500 or less.

Hi Cranky Emu.As it happens I bought an Impact from Gold Hunter in Ardeer Melbourne only in late June.Picked it up. They are very good people to deal with.I got a 2 year warranty and they do repairs and carry spare parts.Never heard of AT-Max but I will look it up.I saw something 2 days ago that someone recommended the Impact ,Whites MXT and Racer 2 in that order as the best VLF detectors for nugget hunting,but can,t find it now. I can vouch for the Impact as I have had 35 hours practice with it and it is pretty impressive on goldfields due to its stability in very high mineralisation in the all metal mode.I haven't been out camping/detecting for 7 weeks due to the bad weather but conditions should improve soon.You also have 8 discriminating modes to look for coins with in low to medium mineralisation.

oldtimerROB said:
Hi Cranky Emu.As it happens I bought an Impact from Gold Hunter in Ardeer Melbourne only in late June.Picked it up. They are very good people to deal with.I got a 2 year warranty and they do repairs and carry spare parts.Never heard of AT-Max but I will look it up.I saw something 2 days ago that someone recommended the Impact ,Whites MXT and Racer 2 in that order as the best VLF detectors for nugget hunting,but can,t find it now. I can vouch for the Impact as I have had 35 hours practice with it and it is pretty impressive on goldfields due to its stability in very high mineralisation in the all metal mode.I haven't been out camping/detecting for 7 weeks due to the bad weather but conditions should improve soon.You also have 8 discriminating modes to look for coins with in low to medium mineralisation.

I think this might be the link to the post you mention,

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=358045#p358045

Thanks both for the replies. I am starting to lean away from the Garrett, whilst no one has specifically commented on them, I get the impression that people don't think much of them due to lack of comments. Correct me if I am wrong. I will do some more research on the Nokta Impact. It looks like a nice unit.

I guess now the burning question is: If I went with the Nokta Impact 3, would it be a detector that would be suitable for a few years worth of gold detecting until I could afford (maybe find some nice nuggets) to upgrade to something more advanced if needed?

Apologies in advance, as I said in a previous post I don't want to end up with a lemon, and something I won't be happy with 6 or 12 months down the track. Bottom line I guess is, if it is useless for detecting gold, then I don't want it.

For $1500 Or there abouts i would be looking for a Minelab SD2200d and you may have a few hundred to grab a low end coin machine.
Why i say this is most coin machines will generally find coins at pretty similar deepths but some will have have better discrimination and target id meters the more you spend . BUT as gold is your main use not all detectors give the same deepth or performance and a Pulse Induction unit will be more suited for finding gold than vlf machine.
Therefore id be buying the best PI model from minelab that you afford and use whats left for a budget coin machine. Even a 99 buck ALdi coin unit will pay for itself .

Gaz

Cranky Emu said:
Thanks both for the replies. I am starting to lean away from the Garrett, whilst no one has specifically commented on them, I get the impression that people don't think much of them due to lack of comments. Correct me if I am wrong. I will do some more research on the Nokta Impact. It looks like a nice unit.

I guess now the burning question is: If I went with the Nokta Impact 3, would it be a detector that would be suitable for a few years worth of gold detecting until I could afford (maybe find some nice nuggets) to upgrade to something more advanced if needed?

Apologies in advance, as I said in a previous post I don't want to end up with a lemon, and something I won't be happy with 6 or 12 months down the track. Bottom line I guess is, if it is useless for detecting gold, then I don't want it.

Well you can't go wrong with the Impact or the MXT and the Racer 2, as Phasetech said in that link, Having a detector with an All Metal/threshold is the best detection system ever made, it is the same sort of thing that all the best PI machines use, So when used properly it gives you a huge advantage.

good luck,

John.

Have a look at the Gold Monster and threads related to them they suit your budget are a Minelab product and should hold value for a while in the 2nd hand market. I'm not affiliated with Minelab in any way but they are the proven market leader for Australian conditions.

RM Outback said:
Have a look at the Gold Monster and threads related to them they suit your budget are a Minelab product and should hold value for a while in the 2nd hand market. I'm not affiliated with Minelab in any way but they are the proven market leader for Australian conditions.

Trouble is the GM won't suit his needs because he also wants to coin and relic hunt and it won't have the depth and discrimination of a VLF,

As soon as I get a few projects out of the way I want to buy a GM, I think it is a great machine for shallow/Bedrock prospecting, It's great to see ML staying true to their roots.

John.

Only mentioned the GM1000 because his primary search is for gold. So for the budget suggested imo it's the pick of all makes available. And he should have a bit left over to buy some extras.

I'm not saying yours or others comments don't count. I'm sure the GM1000 doesn't cut it in the coin and relic prospecting circles.

RM Outback said:
Only mentioned the GM1000 because his primary search is for gold. So for the budget suggested imo it's the pick of all makes available. And he should have a bit left over to buy some extras.

I'm not saying yours or others comments don't count. I'm sure the GM1000 doesn't cut it in the coin and relic prospecting circles.

Yeah I know your not RM, all good mate, I miss read some of his requirements and had to go and check, I like every thing about the GM So you can count me In mate,

I won't change my VLF but I want to get the GM and a GPX-4500 hopefully by the new year but the MXT has so many uses but the thing that matters the most is that it is perfect for going from towns to mountain side because it works in 99% of places when I go to check places out and then I have a good Idea what machine to take next time so the day is not wasted.

Buying the right machine can be a curse it took me over a decade of jumping from one to the other trying to find one that could be use any where, and dealers can be some of the worse advisers in the world, buggers cost me a fortune back in the day, I would hate to add up what I have spent on this hobby since the early to mid 80s. and in the late 90s machines turned a corner and detecting started to be even more fun, Detectors haven't come too far since just more useable,

John.

GaryO said:
For $1500 Or there abouts i would be looking for a Minelab SD2200d and you may have a few hundred to grab a low end coin machine.
Why i say this is most coin machines will generally find coins at pretty similar deepths but some will have have better discrimination and target id meters the more you spend . BUT as gold is your main use not all detectors give the same deepth or performance and a Pulse Induction unit will be more suited for finding gold than vlf machine.
Therefore id be buying the best PI model from minelab that you afford and use whats left for a budget coin machine. Even a 99 buck ALdi coin unit will pay for itself .

Gaz
Nice summary. So many cross over machines these days, but reading between the lines they either do one or the other better. In all crossovers there has to be some compromise.
Entry level coin machines will still go good enough to satisfy most blokes who just swing up to once a week. Plenty of options second hand from $300-700 that will win back the purchase price with a bit of dedication. I'm thinking in rough order of price Aldi, go finds, Ace, fishers, both xterras, ATs, the list goes on.

OldGT said:
GaryO said:

Gaz
Nice summary. So many cross over machines these days, but reading between the lines they either do one or the other better. In all crossovers there has to be some compromise.
Entry level coin machines will still go good enough to satisfy most blokes who just swing up to once a week. Plenty of options second hand from $300-700 that will win back the purchase price with a bit of dedication. I'm thinking in rough order of price Aldi, go finds, Ace, fishers, both xterras, ATs, the list goes on.

Not all cross over machines suffer that problem, But you do have to weed out the ones that do, My machine does all things well from coin hunting to prospecting and I have never been skunked, The key to it is knowing the machine and having the right coils, I have 8 coils for my VLF and have a couple more on back order,

J.

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their comments and input - much appreciated. The more responses the more questions I have floating around in my head.

I probably should have been a bit more clear in my intentions, apologies if this has caused any hairpulling :)

• Main focus is gold - primary target.[/*]
  • Second - but not overly important: Coins, Relics around old sites/ghost towns etc. I am not talking of tramping along the beach early morning in soft ankle torturing sand. I like visiting actual deserted ghost towns and dwellings.[/*]
  • I want to detect (for gold) in a variety of locations: Vic, QLD (Cairns region), WA in the future and possibly NT, like many Lasseters Reef is a dream/lure :D [/*]

Since I am currently poor lol, all of my detecting will be done on Crown Land and reserves where your permitted to prospect, thus the reason for asking where to find crown maps for each state in a previous post.

I know it is a TV show and heavily edited for entertainment purposes and not under any illusion that you can find gold as easily as it would appear on the show, in a recent 'Aussie Gold Hunters' show, it showed Kellie and Henry, staked out a surrendered lease they located on TENGRAPH I believe. Anyway, according to the show it was as simple as printing out some paperwork, whacking in a few stacks and taping said paperwork to a stake. That's how the show cast it. Common sense tells me they would be forking over some cash to someone for this tenement lease, the Government I would be guessing. My question is, how much (I think it was 500m sq) would a lease like that cost? I don't have mega-cash like ones of this show, just interested in the general cost of tenements of around this size.

And finally, well sort of!
What is the PMAV all about, I came across their site during a search on Googler. Their site is a bit devoid of any real info, except that (how I read it) of attempting to have you become a member. Is there any real value in joining such an organisation? Basically I guess what I am asking is, over and above this forum, does the PMAV have more to offer a newbie? As there is a large amount of excellent information to be found here for free, and additional info (I'm guessing) for 20 bucks a year. The nearest PMAV local ranch/meeting place is quite some distance from me, attending any regular meetings would be very unlikely, I'd rather be putting that tank of fuel towards finding good sites.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On a completely different note...
I did read with interest a post here regarding 'Lasseter's Reef'.
Like most others I have my thoughts on where it may be, if it indeed exists. It is interesting, maybe even relevant, to note that the CAGE (I think) expedition boss thought of Lasseter as someone who was not familiar with the environment he was in. And the last guy with him made a comment similar to "He appears to be a person who has read about the area, no having experience in it". Having said that, if he was able to trek from Christoper Lake to the cave, which by all accounts he knew it was there, he must have had some idea and experience with the local area.

The part that troubles me in this legend is the claim of a 7 mile by 12 foot reef. I don't know a lot about detecting, but that is one hell of a chunk! To me, if there was even the remotest possibility of such a stash laying in the dirt somewhere, I would have thought the commercial mining operators would have been all over it. Has there ever been any commercial (small or large) attempts to locate it?

If it is indeed located to the West of Alice Springs, that is one huge and very inhospitable area to canvas. Looking at the likes of Google Earth you can identify possible locations. It would be one serious expedition though, and one you would (should) do in company. A lot can go wrong out there and your a long way between watering holes.

If I was going to be looking out there, and this is assuming it may actually be there, here is my thoughts: When they set off from Haasts Bluff Lasseter said it was SW, or a 225 radial roughly. That line would take you down to NNW point of Lake Amadeus. Story has it he went to Christopher Lake to get his bearings, then headed off in the direction he believed the reef lay only to become horribly disorientated and meet his demise. There is some pretty serious mountain ranges between these to points, the lake and the cave. Only a madman would tackle the ranges, the obvious method would be to go around them, as Lasseter appeared to be doing on the Southern aspect. Maybe he was heading back to Lake Amadeus after-all?

Or maybe it was not located to the West of Alice, but the East as some suggest, in the Arltunga region?

Okay my fingers are done... Over to you!

Cranky Emu said:
Firstly, thanks to everyone for their comments and input - much appreciated. The more responses the more questions I have floating around in my head.

I probably should have been a bit more clear in my intentions, apologies if this has caused any hairpulling :)

• Main focus is gold - primary target.[/*]
  • Second - but not overly important: Coins, Relics around old sites/ghost towns etc. I am not talking of tramping along the beach early morning in soft ankle torturing sand. I like visiting actual deserted ghost towns and dwellings.[/*]
  • I want to detect (for gold) in a variety of locations: Vic, QLD (Cairns region), WA in the future and possibly NT, like many Lasseters Reef is a dream/lure :D [/*]

Since I am currently poor lol, all of my detecting will be done on Crown Land and reserves where your permitted to prospect, thus the reason for asking where to find crown maps for each state in a previous post.

I know it is a TV show and heavily edited for entertainment purposes and not under any illusion that you can find gold as easily as it would appear on the show, in a recent 'Aussie Gold Hunters' show, it showed Kellie and Henry, staked out a surrendered lease they located on TENGRAPH I believe. Anyway, according to the show it was as simple as printing out some paperwork, whacking in a few stacks and taping said paperwork to a stake. That's how the show cast it. Common sense tells me they would be forking over some cash to someone for this tenement lease, the Government I would be guessing. My question is, how much (I think it was 500m sq) would a lease like that cost? I don't have mega-cash like ones of this show, just interested in the general cost of tenements of around this size.

And finally, well sort of!
What is the PMAV all about, I came across their site during a search on Googler. Their site is a bit devoid of any real info, except that (how I read it) of attempting to have you become a member. Is there any real value in joining such an organisation? Basically I guess what I am asking is, over and above this forum, does the PMAV have more to offer a newbie? As there is a large amount of excellent information to be found here for free, and additional info (I'm guessing) for 20 bucks a year. The nearest PMAV local ranch/meeting place is quite some distance from me, attending any regular meetings would be very unlikely, I'd rather be putting that tank of fuel towards finding good sites.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On a completely different note...
I did read with interest a post here regarding 'Lasseter's Reef'.
Like most others I have my thoughts on where it may be, if it indeed exists. It is interesting, maybe even relevant, to note that the CAGE (I think) expedition boss thought of Lasseter as someone who was not familiar with the environment he was in. And the last guy with him made a comment similar to "He appears to be a person who has read about the area, no having experience in it". Having said that, if he was able to trek from Christoper Lake to the cave, which by all accounts he knew it was there, he must have had some idea and experience with the local area.

The part that troubles me in this legend is the claim of a 7 mile by 12 foot reef. I don't know a lot about detecting, but that is one hell of a chunk! To me, if there was even the remotest possibility of such a stash laying in the dirt somewhere, I would have thought the commercial mining operators would have been all over it. Has there ever been any commercial (small or large) attempts to locate it?

If it is indeed located to the West of Alice Springs, that is one huge and very inhospitable area to canvas. Looking at the likes of Google Earth you can identify possible locations. It would be one serious expedition though, and one you would (should) do in company. A lot can go wrong out there and your a long way between watering holes.

If I was going to be looking out there, and this is assuming it may actually be there, here is my thoughts: When they set off from Haasts Bluff Lasseter said it was SW, or a 225 radial roughly. That line would take you down to NNW point of Lake Amadeus. Story has it he went to Christopher Lake to get his bearings, then headed off in the direction he believed the reef lay only to become horribly disorientated and meet his demise. There is some pretty serious mountain ranges between these to points, the lake and the cave. Only a madman would tackle the ranges, the obvious method would be to go around them, as Lasseter appeared to be doing on the Southern aspect. Maybe he was heading back to Lake Amadeus after-all?

Or maybe it was not located to the West of Alice, but the East as some suggest, in the Arltunga region?

Okay my fingers are done... Over to you!

Hey Cranky Emu,
I am a Newbie as well and you may have seen on my initial post, I have done a lot of research on Lasseters Reef too, and have worked back to 1897 when Lasseter apparently found the reef. The thing to remember here is there were no usable maps back then, and if a young lad had wandered around the dessert back in those days, without any reference points, no wonder he got lost.....lol.....and went back 30years later, no wonder he did not recognize any areas. I even tracked down lasseters son (Bob Lasseter), who has been looking for the reef since his father passed away. Bob was 5yo at that time. He is now very ill and over 90yo....so no more expeditions for him.
Anyhow, I could discuss this all day if you would like, but maybe a new thread might be the way to go.
Regards
Bob (Newfiebob)

Newfiebob said:
Hey Cranky Emu,
I am a Newbie as well and you may have seen on my initial post, I have done a lot of research on Lasseters Reef too, and have worked back to 1897 when Lasseter apparently found the reef. The thing to remember here is there were no usable maps back then, and if a young lad had wandered around the dessert back in those days, without any reference points, no wonder he got lost.....lol.....and went back 30years later, no wonder he did not recognize any areas. I even tracked down lasseters son (Bob Lasseter), who has been looking for the reef since his father passed away. Bob was 5yo at that time. He is now very ill and over 90yo....so no more expeditions for him.
Anyhow, I could discuss this all day if you would like, but maybe a new thread might be the way to go.
Regards
Bob (Newfiebob)

Yes I agree, it does not take long for the bush to change. Even within a few years, I myself have gone back to places I knew very well only to be scratching my head due to excessive tree/scrub growth and all your typical landmarks being swallowed up.

It would be very interesting to discuss it, sounds like you have already put a fair bit of research into it. Although, I am reasonably confident if anyone had a very good idea of where it may lay, they would not make that information common knowledge. I don't blame them either!

Although I believe to locate it, if it does exist would require a concerted team effort. Those with good geological skills, mapping skills, those who have good skills at being in remote areas for extended periods, those with good (radio) comms skills (I could cover that part!), and importantly those with good detecting skills. We need the Bush Tucker Man on the team :lol:

Hey Guys,

Now this post will get a stack of different responses :8

Best gold detector for around $1000 give or take ?

MINELAB GOLD MONSTER 1000

or

Garrett AT Gold

or

X-TERRA 705

or

Fisher Gold Bug 2 or Gold Bug Pro

Whats your pick and why ?

Cheers Mick

Tv Mick said:
Hey Guys,

Now this post will get a stack of different responses :8

Best gold detector for around $1000 give or take ?

MINELAB GOLD MONSTER 1000

or

Garrett AT Gold

or

X-TERRA 705

or

Fisher Gold Bug 2 or Gold Bug Pro

Whats your pick and why ?

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, welcome. Depends what you want to do. Detect on beach, out bush for gold or relics. What area? Some areas are highly mineralised.

Cheers

Latest posts