What's a good Gold Detector to start out with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I wouldn't go near a VLF machine for gold detecting, no matter how low my budget was. I'd rather buy an old SD2000 with DD coils than use a VLF.

Having used several VLF's over the years, including the Gold Bug 2 and the Minelab X-Terra 70, I can tell you that the ground noises of a VLF will drive you bonkers ! :eek:

Cheers,
Rick

Araratgold said:
Personally, I wouldn't go near a VLF machine for gold detecting, no matter how low my budget was. I'd rather buy an old SD2000 with DD coils than use a VLF.

Having used several VLF's over the years, including the Gold Bug 2 and the Minelab X-Terra 70, I can tell you that the ground noises of a VLF will drive you bonkers ! :eek:

Cheers,
Rick

HI Araratgold,

I agree with you
Sd 2000 is a great machine, here in Brazil has many of them. But as the soil here in Brazil most often is little mineralized, the vlf detector works very well. But I think we also have the issue of each budget, but either way between a vlf or PI of course I prefer a machine pulse. :)

I seen a whites GMT for sale on gum tree for around $600 in nether by.that's in the wimmera about 20 minutes from nhill. Not a minelab but a gr8 machine

Gday all. I am looking into a detector, my first detector actually. My old man has an at gold which is a good little machine and very easy to use. But I have been thinking about the sdc2300 or an ATX. I'm leaning more towards the sdc but I haven't counted out the atx either. For my first large purchase in the prospecting game, I want to get this right as God knows when I will be able to make another purchase like this. So any help to persuade me either way is greatly appreciated.
Cheers Buck

Go sdc2300 or look for a used 4500 which you may
Find for around the same price if buying a new

Get yourself a 17x11 coil and go for it.

you won't miss much with the 2300.

Hi just chasing some information on what would be a good entry lvl detector for a beginner...and i mean beginner ive never so much as picked one up before lol. Am on a relatively small budget but in saying that it needs to be reasonably effective, if worse comes to worst and the general conscensus is im wasting my time with a cheaper detector then i guess ill just save my pennies a little longer but any help is greatly appreciated.

It would be mainly for nuggets as im not yet into coins etc but anything that would do both is great also.

Regards y4k

Needing it to be good with gold, means your budget needs to big, in comparison to a coin/relic hunter. Remember, good gold is often found at the beach!

Buy the best you can afford. Rocketaroo is a great example. He bought the $100 Aldi detector. 2 weeks later upgraded to an Ace 350 then got an x terra 705 gold pack 3 months later. It's addictive. If you are after gold then you will want to spend a few $$$.

Cheers West, will hit them up for some prices and/or wait it out until may...tks again guys

Was the aldi one any good? Lol i can imagine the whole thing can be pretty addictive i can imagine upon finding my first bit of colour i will be like a man possessed, one advantage i guess is an outage has just started at work so if im patient in a couple of months i will have a few more options pricewise, would hate to blow my budget just for the sake of owning one now only to find in a few months time i want something better and not be able to get it lol

Wow...certainly better than i was expecting, all these yrs ive been avoiding aldi, mainly because alot of the $2 dollar shops etc sell items that are most probably worth $1.50 and as soon as u use them u can see why. Has always been the stigma attached to 'cheap' i guess, but 100 might just get me through until i can afford the upgrade, Cheers

As Rocket said they are value for what they cost. The same machine sells for $200 to $300 with different badges. Seems that's what Aldi do... buy a product made by others and stick their own badges on them and sell at a reasonable price. I have one for my grandkids or anyone who wants to detect to use.

Here's a video on the Aldi from one of the forum members.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/dJX8ricN9nc[/video]

Latest posts