What's a good Gold Detector to start out with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I both agree and disagree Paul, plenty of folks out there just nail it and it's like their brain is wired to detect - I know a few guys like this. On the other hand is the folks you describe who use it once and give up.

Walking out looking for gold with a substandard machine will leave you wanting and eventually you'll see the reasons for buying the best of the best. It finds gold...

Hi Ben

Yes I see your point - gold hunting is a different kettle of fish and if it was me I would want a 5000 but I know not everyone can afford one. I just think unless you have a goldfield next door or are keen as mustard you won't travel out to the goldfields very often.

Goldie says he lives in Wollongong so I would imagine he would pick up more gold on the beach then in the fields but that's just me. Again, depending on what size gold you are looking for - will the ATX find the .1 gram pieces? Perhaps renting one or borrowing one for a trial run will help you make your decision?

Paulmarr said:
Goldie says he lives in Wollongong so I would imagine he would pick up more gold on the beach then in the fields but that's just me. Again, depending on what size gold you are looking for - will the ATX find the .1 gram pieces? Perhaps renting one or borrowing one for a trial run will help you make your decision?

The videos on youtube suggest that it will but the machines I have experienced haven't gone close. A TDI isn't going to get 0.1g either though so no biggy.

I still have more gold that I found on the beach in a single piece than all my nuggets combined!

If you are going on the beach don't bother with basic coin machines - Multifrequency VLF rule in the discriminating world and PI for super depth. A $400 secondhand Sovereign would be hard to beat for a beach only machine.

I believe there is detectable gold on the south coast, I got no idea how far it is from Wollongong though.

Also I have recently have now obtain access to some land on some old gold mines around Nerriga near Nowra. ... The owner has given me access to the land with old gold mines are on his land... and also backs onto the shoalhaven river.... so I should be able to have more time and area to visit and cover.... now. Looking forward to some camping. Shooting. Prospecting. Etc.... The way I see it... is if I have a half descent detector even if I use it once every 2 weeks.... it's till better than getting a cheap and nasty. At lest I will have a machine that I could pass down.... or just hang on to it.... at lest I know when I do go out I have something that's going to work. ...?????

Technically its a metal detector, Minelab is a good choice, next come your price range 1000-6500.
Some of the others will get more specific and steer you good

G'day mate, welcome aboard, if you let everyone know what your budget is then it will give a bit of a better idea which units to suggest. What type of detecting are you interested in, relics/coins, Gold. Ok you said Gold, lol. Budget next. :)

Hi Fossicking Kid.
A common question you have. If you plan to spend many days a year (say 45 days a year) detecting for gold nuggets you should buy a minelab 5000 (cost $6100) or a second hand 4500 (cost about $4100). They are the best machines and if you are going to invest a lot of your time detecting you should not be using a lesser machine that will miss lots of gold. If you buy a 4500 or 5000 then you need to spend many hours becoming a student of detecting and you need to get out with an experienced detectorist early on.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far, I would start a savings plan to get a Minelab 4500 rather then buy a cheaper coin/gold gold/relic detector (which will not find much gold and will be noisy because they can't cancel out noisy ground).

Also while the earlier Minelab gold detectors such as 2200/extreme/4000 etc can find deep gold they still struggle cancelling out noisy ground such iron rich clay/charcoal/termite nest pieces and the all too common hot iron rich rocks.

The new Minelab SDC 2300 ($3990)will find you plenty of shallow gold, but if you plan to explore and look for patches of gold or travel to WA or detect areas where gold may be over 40cm deep the SDC cannot have a bigger coil fitted and is limited in the depth it can go. And because the coil is small you will not be covering much ground in a days detecting and that limits your success rate.

These are my thoughts ...other forum members will have different views.

Your going to get a variety of replies.

Prices in reference to 2nd hand Gold PI Detectors are coming down and be careful what you spend your money on
otherwise you will lose a bit of cash when it comes to resale.

The whites SPP is $1195 new. For the price and many have been sold its a bargain and its pulse induction and
easy to use. The added bonus is this machine can be operated around electric fences and can use the range of
coils available.

I own a modified 3500 which cost me $2100 with 3 coils. Just sold one coil for $235 so what my machine
owes me is about $1900.

Take a look at the video below. That nugget was found with a GP extreme only a short while back.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqGmO0xUhc0[/video]

Gold prospecting is fun and the best part is being out in the Bush.

Hope this helps.

If you want great bang for the buck, a 4500 in good condition is a great choice. Personally unless I was buying from a mate, I'd buy from a dealer as most of them will give you some warranty. If the price of the 4500 is too steep, then the GP 3500 is the next best choice. Match it up with some good headphones, and Coiltek 14" Pro Elite coil and you will get gold.

The GP extreme was a great success for me, but these days for the minimal price difference on 2nd hand units, the Medium tracking speed, quick track button, and Manual tune on the 3500 are must haves.

If you don't mind spending $4000, and just want to get colour regardless of size, the SDC 2300 already has a proven strike rate, and its only been out for a few weeks. Good thing about buying an SDC 2300 is that if you buy a second machine down the track, the SDC will still be a valuable tool in your kit bag.

I own a Whites GMT which arrived from the USA only 3 weeks ago. That cost me $550 delivered
to my door. The Grandson sold it and its in immaculate condition.

For small bits of gold this machine is impressive with what I read and the quick test I have done.

I did a look at a forum members 2300 and that's a nice machine as well and will be a high demand item on the used market due to the
price point it will sell at.

I was very lucky and I got hold of Ismael Jones last little ripper wireless battery and amplified head phones booster. All I
can say about this setup is wow its amazing very impressive and fun to use.

Ismael was the guy that modified my machine as well and added a couple of things. Machine runs smooth with mods switched
on. When I told Ismael that I could get my hands on a 3500 which included a 11" DD, 15"x12" minelab mono (which I just sold for $235)
and a 450mm DD he told me not to hesitate and grab it. The only thing with the 3500 and it is the same with another members machine
I find it needs 10 or 15 minutes of warm up time.

I have the 14" Coiltek Pro coil for it but at most times the 14" Nugget Finder stays on it especially when detecting clay like areas.

Now if your buying a 3500 and paying $2700 then your going to mod it my advice is don't waste your time. If you look hard
enough you could buy a 4500 for around $3500-$3800.

The GMT with the SPP for a price point of around $2300 is a good starter package.

It's a good idea to compile a list of what you want to do with it and where you're wanting to use it. This will help narrow down a few detectors and make the decision a little easier.

Latest posts