What's a good Gold Detector to start out with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm new to this but look for the coloured stuff and around old house spots on farms ! In the wimmera mainly !
Thanks

Hi Go4gold86 a friend has a eureka gold he purchased as a newbie after a short time he realised the mistake he had made, not to say they will not find gold its just very limited .Just have a look at what detectors are finding gold some are better than others but at the budget end of the market there are some that will do the job regards john :)

Go4gold86, Sounds like you want a Relic, gold detector. Go around old farms, buildings, old hotel sites looking for old coins, relics and yet have a good enough detector for small gold out in the gold fields. But, you don't want to spend a heap of dollars. Hop on over to the whites section in this forum and have a look at the Whites SPP (super pulse pro). I think this detector ticks a lot of boxes for what you want. ;)

Get yourself a whites mxt. It has a prospecting and coin
Detecting mode and good discriminator. So if you want
To hunt coins it can be setup that way and if you want
To take it prospecting you can as well. There is also many
Different coils available.

If you want a gold prospecting dedicated machine then
Buy the SPP but you will need a discriminator when
Coin hunting.

Hope this helps.

No gold in the Wimmera except canola, mustard and wheat ....St Arnaud, Stawell be the closest for gold detecting.
There is a couple of mines on the Horsham side of the Grampians but privately owned such as the one one on Polhners Road.
If you want to detect around old buildings or areas such as long forgotten pubs and race courses you need a relic hunter such as Minelab 705 and all the variants of it back to 305.
An Ace will serve you well for this purpose as well, there are many brands of relic hunters and Europe seems to have an edge on the USA when it comes to usability but for mine, personal only Minelab is best.
I aint biased but owned a few different detectors and keep going back to them. That said, and you are determined to but a gold detector on the cheap and one that is proven to find gold if you are prepared to learn and manual ground balance dont phase you, and be prepared to dig a lot...Fisher Gold Bug 2.
I have one of these as well and at 71 Hz its a great VLF.
Buy what you can afford is the mantra, swing low and slow and dig all targets
Oz

Want to find gold on a budget?

Go on ebay usa and buy a 2nd hand whites gmt or a g2
for less than $550 Delivered to your door 2nd hand.

The G2 can be used as a coin shooter and is very fast
With dual processors and can separate goodies among
Iron.

Though i still think the whites mxt might be better due
To the discrimination abilities.

Remember if you buy 2nd hand you won't lose when
Selling.

I have used both suggested inc an AT Gold and Tesoro
Vaquero and a few others and it would be a choice
Between the G2 or mxt.

G2 if your spending 80% of your time gold detecting.
Mxt if your spending 80% of your time detecting coins
And relics.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys ! But I am biased and I want a new one and only want a minelab sorry to disappoint other brands ! After reading a lot of forums about the eureka gold it seems to me as there a underrated machine and people don't understand them.

ozzie said:
No gold in the Wimmera except canola, mustard and wheat ....St Arnaud, Stawell be the closest for gold detecting.
There is a couple of mines on the Horsham side of the Grampians but privately owned such as the one one on Polhners Road.
Oz
Like the one on my uncle's old farm ;)

It definitely sounds like you need a treasure detector unless your planning on making the trip to the golden triangle.
I like my 705, it hasn't found any gold yet except at the beach, but it's not bad for coins either.

Go4Gold86 said:
What's the best detector to start out with a low budget ? Eureka Gold?
Thanks guys ! But I am biased and I want a new one and only want a minelab sorry to disappoint other brands ! After reading a lot of forums about the eureka gold it seems to me as there a underrated machine and people don't understand them.

You asked the question and some experienced people gave you their opinions, but it seems like your set on this machine.
Go for it.

If you like to stick with a Minelab that's fine they make very good detectors, i own two of them myself. Then its between the x-terra 705 and Eureka gold. If your Detecting is more Relic, coin over Gold detecting then Go with the x-terra 705, but if you are going to do more gold detecting then relic, coin hunting then the Eureka Gold. :)

To add my my thoughts the 705 dual pack was a really good detector and will get you into the hobby better than the eureka. It has cheaper coil options and very easy to setup and go. I also had no issue selling it after I decided I wanted to get something different and more suited to the type of detecting. To add the other detectors people have suggested are worth researching but keep in mind that minelab are australian and most of the detecting shops stock them so more face to face advise and help is available if needed instead of YouTube and Internet alone

I have a Minelab CTX 3030 and x-terra 705 i use it for coins and relics. I have tried the x-terra in the gold fields it ran Ok, but i never did give it much time out there. At the time my mate was swinging a GPX5000 and i had a go of his PI machine. After hearing that run in the gold fields i was sold on a PI machine from that time on. So the x-terra got used for coins etc. and i bought a Garrett Infinium, then a Gp extreme, then a GPX 5000 and now a Whites SPP.

After using Pulse Induction in the gold fields its hard to ever go back to VLF detectors. The VLF Detectors make so much noise on Hot rocks etc. Pulse Induction machines were very expensive and this why people bought a VLF for their first detector. But, now you can Buy a pulse Induction machine for the same price as a VLF, so why do it the hard way with a VLF when you can do it a lot easier with a PI.

That's the way i look at it anyway, Go4gold86. :)

I agree with Sa_bogan comments on the x-terra 705. It is very good little detector and very easy to operate. I still own it and i wont sell my x-terra 705 anytime soon. It has found two much coins and jewellery to do that. :)

I'd say try to hire a Eureka Gold and take it out for a day. You really need to experience the ground noises for your self. Then after that if you think that is someone you want to stick at, get a Eureka gold. Otherwise the x-Terra 705's full range discrimination and target ID will really come in handy around old house sites etc.
Just my 2 cents

Nenad

I recently bought the 705 it's easy to use and probably work great once you get to know it, haven't been in the goldfields with it yet but tested it on a 0.25g piece of gold I had and it picks it up pretty good and 3.5g of fine gold in a vile buried in my back yard for testing. Was easy to find :)
Pretty happy with it so far
Cheers

Go4Gold86 said:
What's the best detector to start out with a low budget ? Eureka Gold?

Hi Go4gold86,

The problem is the eureka high battery consumption. staff uses it here in Brazil but has to load every single day, and if you use alkaline batteries ai have to spend much money because it consumes one charge of eight batteries quickly.
I opted for a Xterra 705 gold pack, very economical uses only 4 batteries and gives good result both nuggets as relics.
See the link of my nuggets with the Xterra 705 gold 18.75khz
I hope I have helped!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8393

Latest posts