What's a good Gold Detector to start out with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't want to knock any info above but you do say "mainly for nuggets as im not yet into coins etc"
If your mainly after nuggets I think you'll be disappointed with the Go-find series or an Aldi detector.
Not sure what your budget is but as a starting point you'll probably need:
$500>$800
Used Detectors
Minelab Xterra 70 or 705 (VLF - Gold & coins)
Whites GMT (VLF - Gold)
Fisher Gold Bug 2 if lucky (VLF - Gold)
Whites MXT or MXT pro maybe (VLF - Gold & coins)
Minelab SD2000 or possibly SD2100 (Pulse Induction - Gold)

$800>$1600
New or used Xterra 705 (VLF - Gold & coins)
New or used Whites GMT (VLF - Gold)
New or used Fisher Gold Bug 2 (VLF - Gold)
New or used Whites MXT All Pro (VLF - Gold & coins)
New or used Whites SPP (Pulse Induction - Gold & can be modded for coins)
Used Minelab SD2100, SD2200 or maybe possible to even pick up a GP Extreme or 3000 (Pulse Induction - Gold)
Used Whites TDI Pro Oz (Pulse Induction - Gold & has some discrimination for coin use)

$1600>$3500
New or used Whites TDI Pro Oz (Pulse Induction - Gold & has some discrimination for coin use)
Used Minelab GP Extreme, GP3000, GP3500, GPX4000 & possibly GPX4500 (Pulse Induction - Gold)
Used SDC2300 (Pulse Induction - Gold)

$3500>$6500
Used GPX4500 or GPX5000 (Pulse Induction - Gold)
New SDC2300 ( Pulse Induction - Gold)

$6500>$10,700
New GPX5000 (Pulse Induction - Gold)
New or used GPZ7000 (ZVT - Gold)

As above you can pick up a reasonable coin detector for under $300 (I think the new Go-find series will have at least one under this).
For gold my opinion would be a Pulse Induction detector of some sort. The GP3500 would be a good one as old hand said. One sold one eBay for $1790 this week. I would have liked to get it for that.

Very comprehensive tks mbasko...appreciate the effort from all putting their thoughts forward as i have no knowledge in this area whatsoever and rely solely on the information and advice i receive :)

Yes as others have said,
You'd b looking at around the $1000 mark for a new VLF for a gold detector, most can do coins n relics as well.
A PI detector would push u into the $3-$4K and up price range.

You should b able to pick up a used PI detector at the $1 to $2K price.

Guess it comes down to personal preference of used v new and then how good u want it to b.

Oddly enough, I just tested in 'air' the go-find 40 we have here as a demo with a 1g gold nugget
I test detectors with n suprisingly it tested out to 5 to 6cm. n coins, well any detector can do coins a fair distance.

Not pushing it as a gold detector, just an example of how an air test is one thing but in the ground is another.
Mind u, I am yet to test its in the ground capabilities....

An Aussie made 102 serial gpx 4500 hardly used sold
On that Auction site for $3200 on the weekend and it
included never Used coils with a total of 5 coils i think
It had. I was tempted to buy it myself
And flip it.

What you Do next is sell off the coils and before you
know it The 4500 only cost you $2400 - $2500. One coil was a
11" Mono and a 15x12 hardly used. These 2 both are
Worth a total of around $350 when selling.

If You want to coin hunt or gold detect then get a vlf.
My suggestion is a mxt pro or a tesoro lobo and use
A small elliptical coil for it when nugget detecting.

If you want to look for tiny nuggets only get a whites gmt.

Or do what i am going to do. Hire one out when you need
It.

Hope it helps.

I think I'll head into coiltec I want something that has good depth as well as discrimination in highly mineralised ground..

I would love a gpx4500 but I'd need to find a couple ounces to get that lol

Next1m8 said:
I think I'll head into coiltec I want something that has good depth as well as discrimination in highly mineralised ground..

I would love a gpx4500 but I'd need to find a couple ounces to get that lol

When i feel like detecting I am gonna Hit the
highway and while on the rd give coiltek
A call and hire out whats available and visit
An area suited for that machine.

You need the right tools for the right job.

Hiring one for me is more practical.

Next1m8 said:
If I did get a 5000 what is the best settings and coil to use?

Might need to start a new thread.

If u hire from coiltek these are already setup or ask
Them to set thrm up and take it from there.

Hi

The mrs has shown an interest in having a bit of a fossick around the gold fields, previously I have had some luck in another state with a pan but never with a detector. Budget being tight I was wondering if we could get some advice on a cheap detector I can keep an eye for n ebay or the pawn shops, and also if possible a bit of guidance on testing them with a bit of specimen rock or lead. Also any tips of limitations of some of these cheaper machines would be appreciated as I dont obviously have any expertise in this area (and read conflicting info at times on the internet..)

THank you in advance

Regards

Adrian

Gday Adrian
Welcome to the site. What sort of budget do you have? and What area do you intend to go detecting? This information can help determine what type of detector would be a good option for you

Bob

Hello Bob

An ex colleague found a few specks up in the Scarp behind Perth, intent is to have a muck around some of the old diggings there and then when we have some confidence in the detector (or more importantly our use of it) back up to a couple of spots we are aware of in the Pilbara. We were hoping to keep it under 1k but its looking like even second hand that may not be practical even with some of the cheap foreign units.

Cheers

Adrian

There is plenty of information on the forum about the pro and cons of most currently available detectors. I believe that WA is fairly heavily materialized so you will need to look for a detector that can handle the ground.
Waiting a bit longer and going for a more capable machine may be the way to go. There is no point buying a machine that cant do the job. Keep an eye out on the for sale section on the forum as quite often a good bargain will come up. If you do buy a used Minelab machine make sure that you check the serial number with them to confirm that it is not a fake or stolen.

Hi Bob

Are you aware of a way to tell if a unit is functioning reasonably well? Is there specific distance from the coil I should be expecting a reaction from to check its working?

I see in your footer you have both the sdc2300 and the xterra705 - do you recommend either of these?

I also see an sd2000 and sd2100v2 in the local paper for around 1k locally - any good?

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
I also have a GPX4500. As a starting out detector the SDC2300 is the way to go. Its extremely easy to use and will find gold it it is there to be found and will handle the mineralization well.

New, it is a lot more expensive but you can get then used for around the $2200 mark if you are lucky.. The 705 would be ok to use on the beach in WA looking for coins but i dont think that it handle the hot ground in WA too well

Im currently using the SDC and the 4500 daily here in Clermont, QLD, which does have the occasional hot ground and they are both performing well.

Basically you get what you pay for when buying a detector.

The sd2000 and the sd2100v2 are still good machines but their technology is getting up towards the 20y mark now and if the machine was to play up Minelab will not fix it for you.
Mate, Dont rush in and buy a detector just so you have one . Take your time and wait a little longer if you have too save a bit more to get a better machine. Ive met people who have rushed into getting a detector just to become disillusioned with detecting because the machine they bought is not up to the job they are trying to do with it.

To tell if the machine is working correctly you have to know how to use that machine.. I know its a bit hard if you have never used one before. Get the seller to give you ad demonstration showing you that it will ground balance and will detect metal. Also if you by a Minelab, when checking the serial number also check the service history.

The gold will still be there waiting for you.

Bob

hi i am a newbee at finding gold can anyone help on buying a first detector

please

Latest posts