Trommel - mini wash plant

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking sexy , you mentioned stiffening up the hopper.

High tech finger CAD drawing attached below , its all I could manage on my iPad.

Gussets to bridge the structural nodes on your sheet bridge beam might help but you can magic up something better.

1545899593_2b1038fd-db4f-43d4-bb7c-5e516257a277.jpg

I wouldnt worry about changing the barrel yet , just finish it and work its ass off for a bit in case you decide to change other things.

Bracing like that is a great idea as that's the exact spot it is bending. The hopper is essentially dragging that entire top piece towards it as it sags down.

You're right, I'll just use the barrel and see how it works

1545908193_trommel_lip.jpg

A lip like this, holds the material back a bit, helps to break the
material down, mount it just before the perforations, bottom
holes let the water through and small material. Maybe about
30 to 40 mm high for the lip. A couple of lifters on the sides
of the unperforated part would help also. (angle iron)
My trommel was 40 foot long, 8 foot diameter.

You do a nice build falcon Does the CAD program calculate finished weight ?? I built one years ago for processsing bouldery wash. I still have most of the bits. just needs a new roller support for the drum. I put a spray bar up the centre of the drum and used it as the axle for the drum using pressurized water from the spraybar feed to lubricate the nylon bushes for the drum spigots worked well. driven by a wiper motor that was drilled to aid in cooling. heres a pic of the main parts.

cant get the pics to work ill try again in a new post'.

jethro said:
You do a nice build falcon Does the CAD program calculate finished weight ?? I built one years ago for processsing bouldery wash. I still have most of the bits. just needs a new roller support for the drum. I put a spray bar up the centre of the drum and used it as the axle for the drum using pressurized water from the spraybar feed to lubricate the nylon bushes for the drum spigots worked well. driven by a wiper motor that was drilled to aid in cooling. heres a pic of the main parts.

cant get the pics to work ill try again in a new post'.

The program does calculate the estimated weight which will allegedly be 21kg. That's a great idea about using the spray bar as an axle. I never thought of that

Falcon I reaccon your trommel should sell well in the US if you can get an outlet for it,The market in australia is a bit limited for these type of things due to regulations and economies of scale. The boys in USA love a bit of mechanised hobby mining. Its a really nicely built and robust looking unit and doesnt weigh much either. May be worth looking at making it modular for ease of transport into hard to reach places. have you done a production cost estimate yet. :pickshovel: :goldpan:

I haven't got a cost estimate yet. I am still just pouring money into the prototype. The whole unit is bolted together so it can be packed quite small. Unfortunately postage is a killer to the US. I tried selling my shovels there with no success as postage makes a cheap shovel so overly priced.

That spray bar axle is such a good idea

Hey Jethro , had exactly that idea in mind, a 2.5 inch alum shaft as axle and spray bar drilled to lube poly "bearings" for the drum.

looking forward to the pics...

Hey eski, The spray bar was made out of stainless milk pipe ( I worked at a dairy factory ) Inch and a half OD The nylon bushes I got were S Cam bushes on truck brakes. Cheap as chips. The Barrel is a 60lt drum with the top and bottom cut out leaving a lip of about an inch either end. Pics are back up a few posts. This is falcons thread so Id better not hijack it. :(

Latest posts