Finally getting it together.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aushunter

Brad Welch
Reaction score
Hey Lads,
Been busy lately, still with the reno, scored a new job in the Plastics industries and yes plastic welders are a reality.
And during my little time I have when wifey is out shopping I am slowly building my little 6" poly trammel that is run by a Toyota Windscreen Wiper Motor which drives the main Barrel via pushbike chain.
I have the Barrel pretty much finished, the motor and chain and Sprockets, now I am in the stages of getting together a simple enough frame design that works using 20mm gal hollow bar. Well I hear a lot thinkin out there why not Alloy, well I have that kicking around the house so to save cost I will use that instead.

The perforated grill came from a range hood thrown out in a bin when I was working at Masters a month or two ago.

A smaller Sprocket from the same pushbike will be attached to the Windscreen wiper motor

Looking Down the Barrel

The main Sprocket from the Pushie just fits nicely.

My original design. Not quite right.

Just another view

So I tried another way, looking good.

Starting on the Shute/grizzly

I hope the boys don't mind me pinching there scooter wheels, runs really smooth too.
I still have muck around with it yet but I will get there no doubt.
Cheers
Brad....

Looks good, not hassleling but a guard around that chain would be good, a kid in primary school once came in with 1 of his fingers in a jar of metho for show and tell, lost it buggering around with his pushbike chain.........

Really looks the goods though, keen to see it in action too. Hope it gets plenty of the good stuff.

Yeeah Heatho,
I gotta get a guard on it, thinking of a guard that incorporates both the barrel and chain in one, gotta stop the water jets from escaping the classifying area, still a long way to go on this one but getting there.
Cheers
Brad....

Well, when I am finished with it I will do a full set of Dwgs and put them on the Forum for all to use.
I gotta get out there soon Im a itchin to gittin a bit of gold..
Brad....

Well back to the old drawing board this evening.
Did a few changes for now on the design of the frame work of the poly trammel.

Typical render of the frame work.

Another view of the frame.

It will be something like this but with a waste chute and sluice.

A little more thought in this project, I rotated the 12V motor around a bit for compactness, if that is a word.
Cheers
Brad....

That'll be some handy bit of kit when it's done aushunter ,great diagrams .

looks good just wondering bout the load on the wiper motor i had i about a 6 to 1 ratio and you seem to be trying 1 to 1

my old trommel pics below
1428283319_xx-e3872bf8-1785614-1280-100.jpg
1428283408_imag0458.jpg

No engineering background at all here but the load on the motor might be about the same given the diameter of your trammel and the weight of the load compared to 8/6".

It seems to run fine loaded, but in saying that I have also rigged up the smaller bike gear which will be about 2.5:1. At the moment it runs pretty good with a load of dry rocks going thru it. But I will take this all into consideration if it starts to struggle with a full load.
The trommel is only 150mm dia so it wont take a huge amount of dirt at any one time. Also it is geared down in its own gear box arrangement.
At the moment it is about 1:1.5 and having no probs yet - touch wood.
Hey Ronk it looks like a much bigger Trommel than the one I am making, What was or is the dia on that one.

Cheers
Brad.....

Did a bit more design work on the Trommel to-nite, added the idler wheel, drive chain and some plumbing.

Soon I will start the assembly of the frame.

Cheers
Brad..

aushunter that's nice drafting skills you got there :)

Mine is bigger than yours still trying to assemble it, I plan on using wiper motor too, but without much gear reduction since the motor is already slow one.

Can I ask why you made the screening area that big ? any philosophy behind that decision ? :D

Thanks mate for sharing !

Gudday Geo,

I used to design heavy machinery, buckets, quickhitches, grapples right up to the big draglines and face shovels, so I have a bit of experience in that field.
I work in some clay type materials some times and the longer in the barrel the better the odds.
I like my rocks as clean as possible, just doing the environ a favour by washing the rocks nice and clean.
Cheers
Brad...

aushunter said:
Gudday Geo,

I used to design heavy machinery, buckets, quickhitches, grapples right up to the big draglines and face shovels, so I have a bit of experience in that field.
I work in some clay type materials some times and the longer in the barrel the better the odds.
I like my rocks as clean as possible, just doing the environ a favour by washing the rocks nice and clean.
Cheers
Brad...

Very difficult to get rocks totally clean in heavy clay even with a big trommel and high pressure water blaster, the Sapphire mine I visit regularly has a pretty big washplant and sometimes there are tailings piles on the property where there is so much clay the rocks are hardly washed at all with big clods of clay all through it, picking the right material to run through in the property owners opinion is very important also.

Yeah, I know, but the longer in there the better, might get a little bit more, I used to wash all the gravels by hand, and that was leaving them soak for a week in bio-degradable soapy water, messy but got the good stuff though.

Just a coupla models, these where done on Unigraphics, similar to Solidworks.

I've seen plenty of yellow buckets ,some orange ,Cuppla green ones ,never seen blue ones though.aushunter...... Nice work !.

They are some mean looking "blue" buckets.how many m/3 in one scoop aushunter ?

Latest posts