How legal is this in Aus?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DropBear

Tim
Reaction score
So... I have been looking at upgrade options for my current HB'er...

How legal is this in Aus:

It has a trommel... So i am a bit unsure.

Details on the site i'm looking at:
Feed with a shovel , not a spoon , hopper 11 1/2''x 11 1/2'' x6'' , over all machine length 26 1/2'', ......5''- 16 gauge -12'' barrel classing to 1/4'' , collection box 16'' x 6 3/4'' x 3''(under the barrel ), features multi adjust angle trommel base , motor drive adjust tension spring , 12 RPM barrel speed , 12 volt gear driven , 12 RPM, the bottom box is 36'' x 7'' x 3'' , a light weight leg attachment fixture with four corner adjustments , features gold hog matting in this order , UR ,SCRUBBER, RAZOR , DOWN DRAFT AND BEDROCK , water supply is 12 volt 1100 GPH , 3 ft of 1 1/8'' Flex hose , features a unique spray bar that runs inside of the barrel to spray the material while it tumbles as well as supplies water the hopper , a very cool unit . total weight is 30 lbs . complete unit ready to run (battery not included)

Hi Dropbear,
IMO it depends on the state. There isn't a nation-wide ban on trommels, as far as I'm aware.
Also would depend on what sort of licence you have.

I don't think its illegal but it could be a handful to carry to spots with difficult access (where the gold is).

Not legal in NSW if going to the letter of the law as the trommel part is powered. Stupid rule - if it's fed by shovel it should be ok in Victoria. No good in Qld.

mbasko said:
Not legal in NSW if going to the letter of the law as the trommel part is powered. Stupid rule - if it's fed by shovel it should be ok in Victoria. No good in Qld.

Can you find that document? I would like to check it.

Which one? There are 3 seperate pieces of state legislation/rules there?
NSW MINING REGULATION 2010 said:
MINING REGULATION 2010
12 Fossicking

(2) A person must not carry out work that includes any of the following activities for the purpose of fossicking:

(c) the use ofpower-operated equipmentfor the purpose of surface disturbance, excavation or processing on any land,
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/mr2010172/

Victorian State Government - Earth Resources said:
Frequently Asked Questions About Miners Rights

32. Can the holder of a Miners Right use motorised equipment to process gravel for minerals that has been excavated using hand held equipment and loaded into the processing equipment by hand?

Yes, however, significant land disturbance using these methods will not be permitted.
http://www.energyandresources.vic.g..._DESIGN_NAME=mobile&SQ_ACTION=set_design_name

Queensland Government said:
Fossicking Rules & Responsibilities

Permitted activities and materials

Permitted tools and extent of diggings

Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used.No machinery is permitted.
https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/rules/

Latest posts