Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brazing uses a bronze filler rod and flux - requires a lot less heat than oxy-welding with parent metal, though using the same gear. Less heat when working with sheetmetal and an oxy' means less distortion.

Pete - I am interested to see what hinges you used for your brake press, and how you went about aligning them - this is a project I have been considering for quite some time as I have several vehicles I need to get to restoring, and replacement sections are just getting bigger the longer I leave them :/ The home-made jobs I have come across on the web so far just haven't appealed to me.

Will post some pics when I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y84aURyssMQ

Above is the vid that ive watched a few times re brake press for bending sheet metal and what ive based my build on.

Re Welding or Brazing, that's a whole topic in itself. There are rods like duraweld u only need a propane torch, bunnings had some aluminium brazing rods im experimenting with. Need flux for it to flow and stick properly. Tried it without and just like using a soldering iron it doesn't stick well without flux powder. Trick is to heat the aluminium not the rod! Only problem with the brazing is lower melting temp making it hard to go over welds without melting the inilial weld..sorry braze.

Im using my Grays purchased Oxy kit ($29). Brake press will be bolted to my Grays purchase welding table ($99) 2.2m beauty with vice on one end and grinding wheel on the other.

Loving my new toys, keeps me away from the pub some days!

Peter

1384497634_img_1199_640x480.jpg

Above is the hinge system that I welded on, notching the angle to fit the hinges properly.

1384497707_mig1.jpg

1384497807_oxy.jpg

1384497852_press1.jpg

The Brake press, two bits of angle iron hinged together and secured to the workbench. Incomplete but works. Will be welding a handle to lift the mechanism in order to bend the sheet which is placed under the third top piece of steel, which is the bend line. Im currently using a pipe wrench as the handle until I weld a proper handle. Same type of mechanism as the youtube vid above. Will bend up to about 1.6m length, the Walbanker is 1.5m so no dramas.

1384498263_workbench.jpg

My workbench!

1384498355_mig.jpg

Stick welder...got all the goodies and pretty cheap from Bunnings! Just to add guys, before wanting to make a highbanker I had none of these toys! Please don't ask me any technical questions as im only Youtube trained. Just showing what a bit of fun you can have if you do a bit of research and have a go.

My Walbanker so far

1384498619_highbaker1a.jpg

Peter

Great post, havent seen that one. I think mine is pretty similar so i'm quite chuffed. Only the hinges are done different and I'm still to build my handle. I guess the point is its quite simple to make, I used heavier guage angle and just two 1.9m pieces cost me $110 bucks. Bloody heavy you don't want it falling on your toes! Bends sheet metal like butter, well not quite but almost!

Peter

Ill be experimenting with the flux very soon! Got my Aluminium rods , you get like 2 for $10 so not cheap given they melt very quickly. Used 2 packs in 5 minutes just playing with the oxy. Its all a learning experience. Sorry Ten Ounce, the vice came with the table, its a beauty and for $99 for the table and grinder on the other end, was very happy with my Grays purchase. The hassle was getting a vehicle and mate to help me just to get it home! Now id say it will be in the family for the next 50+ years.

Peter

Well it has been a productive unscheduled day off for me, got my underwater scope finished and then made up some gear for the table saw / router table..

The big white thing is a Saw Sled, allows you to glide the wood easier over the saw blade, the second thing I made is a fence for the router, that is the wooden thing sitting over the rip fence in the back ground, I has a couple of sliding faces that can adjust to fit various router bits, while keeping as tight as possible to the bit to stop dodgy feeding...

Before and after...

1384851822_saw_table_before.jpg

1384851846_saw_table_after.jpg

Notice that I have made these mods AFTER completing my Dremel Cabinet... Live and learn..

Cheers, Tone

Thanks for the kind words. I am really a hack. Next project will be a metal folder.. I dont own a welder so I will have to think outside the box on that one..

I like the look of Twapsters one.. going to go for a bench attachment model i think..

For less than $200 you can get a goodie from Bunnings. I think the Mig was $139 for Gasless/Gas option. Im sure you can pick up on grays for half price but no nice wrapping and instruction manual! Definitely good if you have a table to bolt or clamp the press to. Nice addition to my play area.

Peter

I saw one at the local auctioneers on my way home from work.. hope it dont sell as i will call in monday and make an offer if still there..

Nice lookin. About a meter or so wide.

Cheers, Tone

Twapster said:
Ill be experimenting with the flux very soon! Got my Aluminium rods , you get like 2 for $10 so not cheap given they melt very quickly. Used 2 packs in 5 minutes just playing with the oxy. Its all a learning experience. Sorry Ten Ounce, the vice came with the table, its a beauty and for $99 for the table and grinder on the other end, was very happy with my Grays purchase. The hassle was getting a vehicle and mate to help me just to get it home! Now id say it will be in the family for the next 50+ years.

Peter

Hi Pete , I tried to do the brazing bit , but found the rods disappear & no join :D

Gave up and pop riveted it , way cheaper & quicker

Nice jobs guys. Pete youve got me thinking about that brake press. Thinking thinking thinking. Maybe not yet. Too many other jobs/projects in the pipeline atm.

Nice job Tenounce, I've got the same table saw. Actually if you were down near shoalhaven area sometime I can help you out with a couple of 12mm bolt on slides. I use them for my sliding table.

John. its easy. I'll supply the labour if u supply the ATX....lucky man. I'll bring my mate who owns the 3 ounce bar to check if the ATX really finds gold deep. Ill supply the beer and welder, you supply the ATX so we can all sit around the campfire and swap stories! Then we all travel 4wd to the deep Aussie jungle down south....and find the Kleinman nugget.......a 200k +solid sunbaker jutting out of the ground ready to be claimed. She's out there I know it!

Peter

Latest posts