Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pete, pity youre not female and hot, because that kind of talk could get you anywhere (well almost).
Cant wait. Really itchin to get out and have a swing. (Metal detector that is :) )

Well tonight I made dinner for myself. Went to the nearest shopping centre and bought 3/4 kg of prawns ( all 6 of them) and made garlic and chilli prawns with vegetables.
1385118163_image.jpg

I've actually got a length of 100x100 steel lintel in the workshop but dont know how long it is. Just need some square tube for framework.

TenOunce Tone said:
Well it has been a productive unscheduled day off for me, got my underwater scope finished and then made up some gear for the table saw / router table..

The big white thing is a Saw Sled, allows you to glide the wood easier over the saw blade, the second thing I made is a fence for the router, that is the wooden thing sitting over the rip fence in the back ground, I has a couple of sliding faces that can adjust to fit various router bits, while keeping as tight as possible to the bit to stop dodgy feeding...

Before and after...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/288/1384851822_saw_table_before.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/288/1384851846_saw_table_after.jpg

Notice that I have made these mods AFTER completing my Dremel Cabinet... Live and learn..

Cheers, Tone

Hay Tone,
I have a very similar table saw, i think it a ryobi. I think I'll have to build a sled for it. What did you use for guides?

I went and bought some thin hardwood, i think it was 6 mm x 60, as the slots are 6mm deep. I know it was 900 long I then and ripped some 14mm strips from it, buy 1200 so you can easily get two strips from the one length, I think the deck is about 440 front to back, so you can use the extra length to get a nice fit.. I went about the wrong way, I should have bought thicker material like that is closer to the width of the channel, then cut 6 mm strips, I used the entire piece as some of the pieces were not exactly parallel cuts.. use a featherboard if you have one.. I am going to make one of these adjustable featherboards maybe this weekend, see attached pdf

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/288/1385162870_super-precise_table_saw_jig.pdf

My runners dont go all the way across the base so it gets a bit sticky I need to make new ones. It took me several goes to get the width correct, I may just buy some flat aluminium bar that is 12 mm and put a small screw in the side of one end so I can get a good fit or some other method of closing the gap, nylon bush or something.. .. The runners should be firm, no sideways movement but easy to slide.. there are heaps of videos on utube on different builds for these. Just search Table Saw Slide

Good luck with it

Cheers, Tone

Talking about oxy-welding aluminium with aluminium filler rod - definitely need flux, and same type of filler rod as parent metal (two main types of aluminium alloy that don't mix well, and I think may even require different fluxes).

When I had a dabble years ago, found it much simpler to just cut strips from the off-cuts of the material that I was welding to use as filler rod than try to buy the correct grade of rod at exorbitant prices...

A boilermaker mate of mine told me you can run aluminium wire in your mig with the mild steel gas mix, if you run the gas at high pressure (I think he mentioned the technical term "flat out" :D ) - I assume this is to cool the weld area as quickly as possible, to prevent a big hole just dropping out...I am yet to refill my years empty mig bottle to try it out, but have had a roll of aluminium wire sitting in the cupboard for nearly as long as the bottle has been empty :(

Marked said:
A boilermaker mate of mine told me you can run aluminium wire in your mig with the mild steel gas mix, if you run the gas at high pressure (I think he mentioned the technical term "flat out" :D ) - I assume this is to cool the weld area as quickly as possible, to prevent a big hole just dropping out...I am yet to refill my years empty mig bottle to try it out, but have had a roll of aluminium wire sitting in the cupboard for nearly as long as the bottle has been empty :(

that might cost you as much in gas as it would to just get a small bottle of pure argon and run it at the right flow rate ( about 14 - 18 litres/min for a small mig torch )

Supagas do a deal where they refund the balance of gas you dont use

but the few small welds on a HB would take all of 10 minutes for a welder using TIG

Hi BrisJoe, I think I was the gold digger sign here in Bangkok. That cake looks absolutely yummy but it will possible send my bloodsugar to fatal levels.

TenOunce Tone said:
The usual suspects.. beater.. bowls.. oven.. etc.. im half way through my slice and the food coma is about tonkick in... ;)

Tone, you are a man of many talents. My hat is off to you.

Bris. It is one Coles choc mud cake, one coles choc brownie mix. Cooked to directions. I chopped up some pistachios and put them on top of fudge then baked.
Cut the mud cake in half. Put the fudge in middle with some thick icing to glue it. Chok ganache is 400 g of dark choc melted with 1/3 cup of cream and mixed to smooth.. put the ganash in fridge to cool til almost hard then spread ovr the cake.. microplane or grate some choc on top. Whack in a birthday candle. Light,make a wish and enjoy with your family an friends..

Easy

Cheers,Tone

1386329018_20131206_212019.jpg

Router lift using an old scissor jack and some scrap wood.

Works a treat.. no more reaching under the table to set depth if cut..

Cheers Tone

WATCH THIS SPACE

If we win this weekends Ashes Test, I'm going to be making a layer cake for work, The 2 layers will be green and yellow with a chocolate icing to mask the colours inside, and serving it the day after the test and having the state manager make the first cut, because he is English MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My national manager of my department has given full support to my evil plan as after the last test we all rubbed it in badly, and this "will be the icing on the cake" :cool:

Now the question is, should I use jam, or cream for the filling between the layers?
1 of the girls at work says to use cream so we can use an analagy of...Green and Gold "CREAMED" the brits :eek: