Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diginit said:
RM Outback said:
Diginit said:

Worked on plenty of those, good safe. They were made at the old factory in Victoria Street (hence Victoria Safe Co) Brunswick Melbourne, long gone now.

Picked it up at a garage sale. Well with a bit of help due to it's weight ;) Don't think they knew what it's worth was, but at $50 I loaded it up. :Y: Even had 2 sets of keys with it.

It actually had 3 sets of keys.. the sellers kept the third set and followed you home

Maybe so :/ But after what would have been a 2000k follow, plus then having to contend with a 70kg Rotty chewing on their ear as they used the keys. Then throw in current Covid climate and chances are they may not get back across the border, so could take them months to get back home Good luck to them i say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1640470978_safe1.jpg

Good choice ss :Y: definitely a win win in more than 1 sense :perfect: :clap: unbelievably cheap :power:

Yep cheap it is ,chinese knock off ,same one on amazon was from $113 to $160 plus about $130 + for freight ,a few problems with them, but there is plenty of you tube on how to fix them ,as the destruction manual is very vague on how to fix the little hick ups ,it is mainly bobbin and needle alignment problems with it , a easy fix from watching a few you tubes on it
the tripod stand that it comes with is a bit light on from what they say, so i will build a solid metal base that can be bolted to the work bench when it is needed

Nightjar said:
My $14.00 minature radio/usb music player finally arrived today.
Not easy to get radio reception while we are out in the scrub.
Its a little ripper, will be ideal for listening to the 3000+ songs while sitting around campfire.

Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stereo-...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

I'm a bit late on the scene for you NJ. If the one you've purchased fails or not up to expectations, have a look at the Tecsun PL-380, a bit more expensive but great performance out bush

bicter said:
Nightjar said:
Its a little ripper, will be ideal for listening to the 3000+ songs while sitting around campfire.

Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stereo-...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

I'm a bit late on the scene for you NJ. If the one you've purchased fails or not up to expectations, have a look at the Tecsun PL-380, a bit more expensive but great performance out bush

That Tecsun PL-380 would work nice with a PK loop Antenna
http://www.amradioantennas.com/am_antennas.htm

woomera said:
bicter said:
Nightjar said:

Look at this on eBay

That Tecsun PL-380 would work nice with a PK loop Antenna
http://www.amradioantennas.com/am_antennas.htm
Looks like that website is down at the moment.
Found a nice clear article on the use of the antenna here https://radiojayallen.com/pks-loops-a-loop-tam-am-loop-antenna/

Nightjar, apologies, I failed to read yur posting properly and assumed that you were after a radio to use in remote areas and missed the bit about playing music from a Micro SD/TF card

bicter said:
Nightjar, apologies, I failed to read yur posting properly and assumed that you were after a radio to use in remote areas and missed the bit about playing music from a Micro SD/TF card

No problems Bicter,
Yes the tiny unit has micro Sd, FM, Bluetooth & USB applications.
Rechargeable lithium.
No need to have the ute close by now, with ignition on to listen to music.
As mentioned have 3000+ songs on a USB. (Actually probably closer to 4000+ considering many of them are complete albums.)
Had fun years back converting music to MP3 & burning to discs before copyright hit hard. Later all this music transferred to a USB stick and the CD's gathering dust.
Going to have a play today to see if the Bluetooth speaker I have will connect.
We'll have a circus of pink & grays and other bush fauna circling the camp listening to Slim Dusty, Waylon Jennings etc etc.
Already have a portable radio similar to the Tecsun PL380 but we tend to try and get away from the doom and gloom the radio stations have become.
Also the ute still has the Barrett 550 fitted for listening and sending.
Had an unusual experience with the said 550 years ago. Picked up a passenger aircraft flying from Perth to Melbourne and an interesting conversation with the pilot.
He was that interested he was going to look for a landing for the 747 and have a coldie at the camp. :lol:

Top idea Dave and far cheaper than using a van unit. I had a pic up from one I fitted to a toy hauler I built but apparently it wasn't a toy hauler so deleted it :cool:

RM Outback said:
Toy Hauler :rolleyes: really

Your a pretty critical sort of bloke hey Joe ? First my photography is not up to par and now i don't even know what I built ? Ya bored lad ?

Diginit said:
RM Outback said:
Toy Hauler :rolleyes: really

Your a pretty critical sort of bloke hey Joe ? First my photography is not up to par and now i don't even know what I built ? Ya bored lad ?

No not directed at anyone, more so the term. Definitely not bored old boy.

Obviously the term is American, not that I have a problem with Americans but I do when it comes to Australians using their descriptions.

We've always called a Trailer a Trailer so why change it. Have you been watching too much Telly or YouTube.

PS: Your photography has improved out of sight :p

Latest posts