Odd rain Pattern (since confrmed as smoke plume from south-west Victorian wildfires)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm watching BOM, I'm in Victoria, and there is a rain event just east of Ararat. It is growing out from some point and I don't know that I've seen anything like it before. Maybe I have but it does look strange.

Must be a day for odd weather, these photos are all taken within an hour of each other over a distance of 60 km north of Adelaide this afternoon by various people.

Attachments

• IMG_1817.jpeg
    IMG_1817.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1816.jpeg
    IMG_1816.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm watching BOM, I'm in Victoria, and there is a rain event just east of Ararat. It is growing out from some point and I don't know that I've seen anything like it before. Maybe I have but it does look strange.
I watch the weather radar as part of my job & see this pretty often over Central NSW.
Sometimes on the radar storms seem to appear out of nowhere from the west then build usually moving east towards the coast. We've had a few lately from the south that move NE which is unusual but not unheard of. Old farmers reckon the more severe weather comes from that direction but I don't really know - had some pearlers come in from the more usual West direction too.

I watch the weather radar as part of my job & see this pretty often over Central NSW.
Sometimes on the radar storms seem to appear out of nowhere from the west then build usually moving east towards the coast. We've had a few lately from the south that move NE which is unusual but not unheard of. Old farmers reckon the more severe weather comes from that direction but I don't really know - had some pearlers come in from the more usual West direction too.
Do you think that perhaps it is "seeded" from ploughing, which creates big amounts of dust?

Do you think that perhaps it is "seeded" from ploughing, which creates big amounts of dust?
It's possible.

National Geographic said:
Raindrops condense around microscopic pieces of material called cloud condensation nuclei (CCN). CCN can be particles of dust, salt, smoke, or pollution.

It's the smoke plume caused by the out of control fire which started at Warrak earlier today, sadly no rain within it. The Western Hwy is closed between Ballarat and Ararat due to this fire. Hopefully everyone impacted is safe and out of harms way, it's going to be a while before they pull this one up unfortunately.

I'm sitting at home waiting for the wind to drop, from the north at present and not letting up any time soon by the looks of things. We're fortunate in the fact there aren't any fires around here at present, let's hope it stays that way.

Must be a day for odd weather, these photos are all taken within an hour of each other over a distance of 60 km north of Adelaide this afternoon by various people.

They'll land after dark or just abduct a few and give them the Martian treatment before releasing them upon us.

It's the smoke plume caused by the out of control fire which started at Warrak earlier today, sadly no rain within it. The Western Hwy is closed between Ballarat and Ararat due to this fire. Hopefully everyone impacted is safe and out of harms way, it's going to be a while before they pull this one up unfortunately.

I'm sitting at home waiting for the wind to drop, from the north at present and not letting up any time soon by the looks of things. We're fortunate in the fact there aren't any fires around here at present, let's hope it stays that way.
Smoke! Yeah that will do it. I should have checked the CFA site.

From the interweb:
The Fallstreak Hole, or hole punch cloud, occurs when part of a cloud's water droplets freeze into ice crystals and fall below the cloud layer, according to the Cloud Appreciation Society.

This fire is still burning and with catastrophic fire conditions predicted in the next few days, could further threaten people and properties. Please take care if you are anywhere near the area:

Fire danger risk could reach catastrophic levels in parts of Victoria, as huge bushfire continues to burn:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02...ossible-victoria-bushfire-continues/103507884
Wednesday 28th is shaping up to be a pretty ordinary day as far as fire danger ratings go. Interestingly this coming Wednesday was being spoken about on the radio and online along with print media as early as Friday 23rd with respect to the danger posed due to the predicted forecast, not even 24 hours after the Warrak fire took hold on Thursday 22nd.

As for the public being able to gain a sense by virtue of the CFA four day fire danger ratings that wasn't possible until Sunday 25th. Here's a bit of a timeline of what's forecast.

Sunday between 10am and 11amIMG_20240226_184938.jpgSunday 5.02pm
IMG_20240226_185014.jpgMonday Afternoon IMG_20240226_185141.jpg
IMG_20240226_185256.jpg
Given the early classification (which I've never seen before) it's a smart idea to put your plans in place now. Even though nothing might not happen (let's hope so 🙏) if something does it could go pear shaped in a big way. I'll be staying put at home until I need to do otherwise.

Latest posts