Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detecta said:
It would be a waste of time trying to compare anything, I've got 750-16 split rims and went from standard to 31"tyres.

Yep a 750X16 is a 31" tyre, Only the width would be differant

Not bought , this axe head and one like it where some of the tools and odds and ends left over from the estate garage sale ..
I need to clean them up , sharpen them and get 2 new handles .

1625734300_image.jpg

nucopia said:
Not bought , this axe head and one like it where some of the tools and odds and ends left over from the estate garage sale ..
I need to clean them up , sharpen them and get 2 new handles .

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5588/1625734300_image.jpg

If you want good hardwood handles there's a great little independent company based in NSW who make quality products. Problem is I don't have their details at hand to post, I will later. Kate bought a few of their axe handles at the Seymour Alternative Farming Expo last year just before covid put us in the shite. Haven't put them to use yet and most likely won't :lol: I've got a few Fiskas axe's and hardly ever use a timber handled axe or splitter these days. When I find a few good old axe heads I'll definitely fix them to these handles and of course won't be able to resist the urge to put them to good use :) not permanently more so they'll hang on a wall somewhere in the house or shed :beer:

Got a new (well not brand new but new to me) backhoe dropped off at the block today. Finally get to put the ticket to good use.

Conditions were variable as far as digging went, not bad on top but pretty dry underneath. Kind of amusing trying not to get bogged while digging concrete tough ground under 3 foot depth in places.

Should have got one years ago, any how, my new favourite toy.

Thanks guys .. Ive looked up axe handles on bunnings and most the reviews on their handles are pretty dismal ..
Illl do a bit more research and hopefully find something decent ..
Its ironic 100years ago there was a handle factory here in near by Morisset called Mullards handle factory ..

1625753420_16911ee5-a762-4d55-be99-e782bf69569c.jpg

https://history.lakemac.com.au/reso...es/assets/common/page-substrates/page0044.jpg
Im in no hurry to put crap handles on them to be honest.

When I was doing a lot of axe and knife restoration work during our CovID19, 3 month-long lock-down last year, all Bunnings and Mitre10 had was rubbish. So I got a couple of handles from Blackwoods, thinking that they would only have good stuff, and guess what, rubbish as well, but I still used them as I couldn't get anything else.

Rob P.

Wishfull said:
For measuring hardness of tyres ?

Yeah and I also bought another Tyre Gauge and deflator set,

The Gauge is spot on and the deflator have a set pressure range from 6 to 30psi,

1626838363_new_gauge_set.jpg

Soaked for a week in white vinegar ,then treated with bondall rust buster .. used a buffing wheel on the drill and gave them a clean.. not 100% but look ok for there age ..
Thinking to heat them up to about 450 and drop them into an oil bath to blue them and or paint them with a hammer coating ?
Still havent located axe handles yet , as everyone Ive contacted is out of stock :/
1627016365_image.jpg

nucopia said:
Soaked for a week in white vinegar ,then treated with bondall rust buster .. used a buffing wheel on the drill and gave them a clean.. not 100% but look ok for there age ..
Thinking to heat them up to about 450 and drop them into an oil bath to blue them and or paint them with a hammer coating ?
Still havent located axe handles yet , as everyone Ive contacted is out of stock :/
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5588/1627016365_image.jpg

The one on the right looks like the same pattern as the two that I restored during last year's lock-down. The profile was more suitable for chopping rather than splitting. I didn't try bluing, just used a wire brush, and then after sharpening and putting a handle in, I used some Penetrol to seal in any small rust pockets that may still be there. Then made a leather axe mask for each as I had for the other axes that I had restored.

Bluing may soften the steel some as that needs 590F / 310C, but I guess you have looked up or know all that stuff.

Good axe handles are hard to get. I will be interested to see the progress of the project.

Rob P.

Mike678 said:
I heard soaking rusty items in molasses was good , but have not tried it . Takes some time a week or two ?

Yep that how we use to clean Vintage Car springs and parts, Mix up 30% molasses and 70% water and habg them in it with a bit of pain wire and give it a stir every few days and in about 3 or 4 weeks they will come out like new, reason for doing it this way instead of sand blasting them is because sand blasting reduces the tension of the springs and can warp frail panels, :Y:

Latest posts