The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bacchus
Thanks for that.Hopefully with a bit of luck we should be down there at the end of Oct.Looks like theres no shortage of places to check out.

We are playing with the idea of coming down in march for a week or so.
It will be about a 7 hour drive, so will be looking at the top end of the triangle down to about half way.

We will have our two year old with us, so we will be looking for some resort style accomidation to keep him and the missus entertained while i detect etc.

My plan would be 5 to 7 days with one full on detecting day , maybe a paid tour style to get results and some part days panning etc and the rest would be family time exploring etc ,we love history and museums etc .

Any tips on where to stay or what to see or ideas on detecting tours or offers would be greatly appreciated either here or by private message.
Thanks in advance and if we commit to going i will post some dates up if anybody wants to meet up and / or show us about
:)

I didn't get to the gold museum at Sovereign Hill but it may be worth your while?

There is a guided tour type hire arrangement with one of the shops in Bendigo from memory.

Redfin said:
Graham Ashton who owns the only motel in Dunolly will take you out for a fee. He is on the ball and
knows the country side very well.
Whilst his place is clean, hardly resort style = http://dunollygoldentrianglemotel.com.au/
You may have to leave her indoors in Bendigo for that.

Redfin does Graham do guided prospecting sessions ( for a fee) or will just come out if you stay at his motel ? Just curious as I have never heard that he did this or the service was available.
GT :)

Shoot me a pm before you leave mate I'll give you a spot in one of my old haunts near a constant water source if you want to round the trip out with some gold in the pan. Popular place so I won't be betraying any trade secrets I'll just adjust the detail of exactly where to make sure the dig is as good as certain a winner so the kid can pan a bit of gold, I reckon 2 is old enough to swish a pan under guidance.

I stayed at the Dunolly Motel in early December and Graham was very helpful with advice. I didn't ask whether he took people out as I had a full calendar. The motel is clean and cheap, basic but everything worked as it should. I would stay there again.

Goldtarget said:
Shoot me a pm before you leave mate I'll give you a spot in one of my old haunts near a constant water source if you want to round the trip out with some gold in the pan. Popular place so I won't be betraying any trade secrets I'll just adjust the detail of exactly where to make sure the dig is as good as certain a winner so the kid can pan a bit of gold, I reckon 2 is old enough to swish a pan under guidance.
Nice call GT, Same here aussiefarmer, as the dates get closer feel free to pm me for some private property panning ;)

Redfin said:
Graham Ashton who owns the only motel in Dunolly will take you out for a fee. He is on the ball and
knows the country side very well.
Whilst his place is clean, hardly resort style = http://dunollygoldentrianglemotel.com.au/
You may have to leave her indoors in Bendigo for that.

Excellent :) that's the sort of tips I was hoping for , I am usually I loner that ruffs it when I go gold hunting but considering the distance for this trip, I am trying to get my ducks in a row so I can make the best of the time I have , I am happy to shed a few bucks just to hear the detector sing .
I will diffidently look into the Dunolly motel :) any tips on what to see while we are at dunolly ?

I don't really need a resort I am just trying to keep it a family vacation ;) but I know that it will blow out to a full on gold getting mission :lol:

Goldtarget said:

sure will mate and it is very appreciated :) :)
2 is plenty old enough , this is the boy 8 months ago .

1452068009_img_20150729_164553_430-optimized.jpg

dwt said:
Goldtarget said:
Nice call GT, Same here aussiefarmer, as the dates get closer feel free to pm me for some private property panning ;)

will do mate , we might have to form a group if we get a few that want to meet up for a pan off :lol:

mfdes said:
I stayed at the Dunolly Motel in early December and Graham was very helpful with advice. I didn't ask whether he took people out as I had a full calendar. The motel is clean and cheap, basic but everything worked as it should. I would stay there again.

Was there any must see attractions on your trip mate ?

This is an open question to all , if anyone went to the GT what is the one thing that you wouldnt want to miss seeing ?

a good place to stay is the GOLD COUNTRY CARAVAN PARK opposite the golf club ph o354617700 kanga1934

Does anyone know if the golden triangle is Dunolly / Maldon, etc or over towards Raywood / Kamarooka - or maybe it encompasses all these towns?

I am in SA, where our publicly-accessible prospects are very limited. One of my sons is keen for me to take him away somewhere more exciting (which is cool because it gives me an excuse to indulge my gold fever!) so I would like to plan a trip to western Victoria or the golden triangle area. So Victorians, especially those who know the golden triangle well, where would you suggest?

Ideally I want to visit an alluvial area with a replenishing supply of alluvial gold, and rivers/creeks that flow all year round for sluicing (I dont have a high-banker and dont like pump noise much). Fine gold is fine. But we would like the trip to be worthwhile, that is, if you can read a creek and are willing to process gravel, you will be rewarded :)

Camping-wise we are happy to swag it, and bush camping away from people would be ideal.

Suggestions? Cheers!

Hey Thumper, Creswick seems to be a popular choice for camping and panning. There's been plenty of discussion on this area on PA.
Great to see kids keen on getting into it.

Latest posts