Victorian Golden Triangle Winter 2023

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone doing the ( VIC ) Triangle this winter , June 3… to July 30 , 2023 , Stawell to dunnolly, and other areas east towards Bendigo, got any tips , or good local detector shops in the vicinities ? …. Would be very appreciative ; covered the area Daylesford , smeaton , creswick to Beaufort march this year , no luck …. Any help in this area appreciated

covered the area Daylesford , smeaton , creswick to Beaufort march this year , no luck ….
No, you didn't cover the area, mate - not in a month. :D Once over lightly from the sound of it.

You're moving way too fast to be doing any sort of thorough job, so you won't learn enough about the area while you're there and you won't improve your detecting skills either. Pick an area and stick with it until you start finding gold, then keep at it until there's no more targets. Then look for similar areas nearby, rinse and repeat. Detecting low and slow is what finds the gold.

Stawell to dunnolly, and other areas east towards Bendigo, got any tips , or good local detector shops in the vicinities ?
Hi Les.

Miners Den in Bendigo and Coiltek in Maryborough.

What machine are you using?
What sort of areas were you targeting last year - old mines? Virgin ground? Old shallow workings?
Were you finding lead shot and .22 bullets?
A bit of background will help to give some better advice 👍🏻

No, you didn't cover the area, mate - not in a month. :D Once over lightly from the sound of it.

You're moving way too fast to be doing any sort of thorough job, so you won't learn enough about the area while you're there and you won't improve your detecting skills either. Pick an area and stick with it until you start finding gold, then keep at it until there's no more targets. Then look for similar areas nearby, rinse and repeat. Detecting low and slow is what finds the gold.
Cheers mate, I’ll take that on board … I can tell that I’m hurrying & selective

Re NE's comment (What machine are you using?)

To me, a Newbie will more easily find gold with the Minelab 6000, than the 2300, 4500, 5000 and 7000. The latter detectors are good gold finders but the operator needs to be more thorough with Low and Slow. Also the choice of coils for the detecting location can improve the finds.

Cheers mate, I’ll take that on board … I can tell that I’m hurrying & selective
Have had a bit of luck up in Amherst recently, Les. Blacksmith Gully and Kangaroo Gully have given a few bits.

A planned burn happened not too long ago in Creswick, to the West of Petticoat Road. Was a very overgrown area, and now a lot more accessible. Have heard of more bits coming out of there through the gully. Creswick can be tricky ground to read, though.

Some of the workings off of Sailor's Creek in Daylesford have had a large area of gorse cleared out.

grubstake's comment was a very hard lesson for me to learn too. Slow down and become a master of one location first.

Have had a bit of luck up in Amherst recently, Les. Blacksmith Gully and Kangaroo Gully have given a few bits.

A planned burn happened not too long ago in Creswick, to the West of Petticoat Road. Was a very overgrown area, and now a lot more accessible. Have heard of more bits coming out of there through the gully. Creswick can be tricky ground to read, though.

Some of the workings off of Sailor's Creek in Daylesford have had a large area of gorse cleared out.

grubstake's comment was a very hard lesson for me to learn too. Slow down and become a master of one location first.
Thankyou, I have pretty limited movement these days , so, now , my family drive me & my caravan to different places , and leave me there , ( private propTy is good ) as I’m completely self sufficient…
you guys are going to laugh, ( if you havnt already )
I still operate an original Whites 6000 , 1981 model, ( with several different coils ) ,
this machine was my fathers & mine , we bought it together , it has found over 500 coins from the Tanimi desert, to wynchelse in Vic , the Collection is Around half pre 1900, and 10% of them older than 1875…..
I find many more coins than gold , but, one day , I’m going to hit it , cos I can read quartz , having leant it from the legendary , Tom Kruse , ( The original Birdsville mail man), with whom I had travelled with before his untimely demise.
I have no credit card , or money… so I bid you all farewell & adieu

Hi Les.
The Whites 6000D was my first machine and got my first “speck” with it, a two ouncer.
It had a lot of trouble with the smaller stuff though, but was wonderful on the beach for its day and I reckon still would be.
Sold mine after I won a Minelab Sovereign in a GG&T magazine competition, but I felt that was never as good as the Whites.
My best was about $50 in coin value plus one gold ring in one day on the beach. Haven‘t done much treasure hunting for a long while, such is the lure of gold, but seriously considering getting back into it.
Cruise around where you like and good luck.

The Whites 6000 was a good gold and coin detector right up to the release of MineLab PI.
Way back before the Wheel Chair and Old Peoples Home...Just kidding but they tell me it getting close..
View attachment 9526
Yeah had the hip mount conversion as well. But not as nice as what is alongside your hip.

Haha. Lol… yeah, that whites 6000 has been a very good unit considering the technology age ,,,
the battery box just disintegrated over recent times, but went to Beachy’s Miners Den in Adelaide , & they sent me on to Chargeforce elect. They replaced it for $60… fair I thought

beachy showed me, and agreed with your logic, a 6000 would suit me, I’d say,,,
i see the pair of old wh 6000 ‘s … crikey Lucky the pics not in B & Whit’s …. Lol….
where is home for you guys

Thanks Bug …. I just spent some time in Creswick & im just so glad I had the John Tully maps ,,, with me for starters …
now I’m beginning to get the hang of it, and even the low/ slow grubsteak was talking about.
I spent 4 days on just one field in the whip stick a month back , then Creswick a week ago
I found over 6x 22 caliber slugs in west laenecoorie , and a couple in Eaglehawk north …
im getting close I think …. Don’t forget I use a very old whites Vlf unit …. But I’m ok with it , as I’m getting slugs & avoiding too much digging / trusting a discriminating function that’s so old
…. I’m starting to,understand how to read terrain , I think

also , being from Adelaide , I found another book called
‘ shallow gold occcurences in western Victoria , by Luke Steinhous , as helpful , cos even tho I’m retired I live in Adelaide , & travel down there now and again for grand kids , footy , etc …
Now,
iv probably put in some considerable time , ( no luck unfortunately), I’m going to take a look in SA , probably in virgin country side … which there is heaps …. Having flogged the main gold areas here , echunga/Jupiter / Barossa , blumberg & some other minor fields for more than 20 years ….
I have some real burning desires about Teetulpa,( it’s surroundings are Tibooburra like in many ways ), but it’s still a f nightmare for access & even miners den guys will tell ya about customers getting shot at up there …… haha ..not conducive to listening for a good signal
so,
When I’m down in Vic iv got some real location maps in hand …
then , I’v got some quartz’y locals here , fringing original gold areas , ( but still virgin ) to look at in between times …
many thanks for the guidance
Les

What I really did try & find near tarnagulla was the area of the Poseidon rush ,, originally 1906, ( Victoria’s last major rush ) as the ‘ richest ground ‘ title it has …
but I just loved the potatoe patch … then south towards nuggety gully proper …this ground was just so good,,, I didn’t get to this ‘ richest patch of ground ever for nuggets ‘ quote from Luke’s book , re the Kerang new times of 25/12/1906 ;
doing web based inquiries of this since iv returned home , it looks like the mineral society has obtained the land , as some sort of museum piece ? I’m unsure … I could not even find Poseidon road , nor could the lady who runs the tarnagulla info centre , Lol….
but, yeah, iv leant a lot in these districts , what real auriferous , original areas look like , ground & mineralisation , Al. That , is what the new by’s have to do ….

Interesting ,Amherst ,,, I did stop at Talbot ,/ however, could I ask you,if the Daisy Hill area is,
both accessible and worth a shot ? …. Some shallow nugget finds there are nearly as much touted as the Poseidon , but I get the feeling it is private property ?

thanks for listening … Les

G'day Chris, 2 of us were out there on Wednesday. I had a private property to detect on Back Kyneton Road but that was a fizzer.

We moved to 2 different spots on Spring Flat Road. The first spot was pretty barren other than the rubbish and dumped asbestos. The second spot looked more promising but again was plagued by so much dumped rubbish. It looks like a tip out there. There was a creek at the location with a little bit of water pooled in it and someone had been crevicing it.

Apart from the rubbish the area looks promising but it wouldn't be my first choice. Like all areas it will have been done over but there is always the possibility of finding something. It was only 100 minutes from home so that was a bonus for me. We didn't find anything but a little bit of driving around and research on Geovic should help. For a first trip I would suggest research the area on Geovic and choose several spots to check out, then drive out and investigate. You will probably need at least 2 or 3 days to get a good idea of the area.

Regards Axtyr.

Latest posts