The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just registered here, new to metal detecting, have a Nokta fors gold, been to bendigo Whipstick forest but did not find any gold, put it down to being new at this and not knowing how to spot good areas. Found lots of metal but no gold, will keep persevering and learn up on geology, love my new hobby.

Thanks. I had a brilliant weekend. I found heaps of junk but no gold. We went to Dunolly but I feel like the area we were in had been searched already (lots of previously dug holes). But I'll be back at it soon!

Hi all I'm not sure where this is ment to be so plz move if need be. But what towns/areas are in the so cauled golden triangle ? As I'm from Tas I have no idea, but I have a aunty that lives over there in Vic close to nsw border. I'm wanting to know where the triangle is ment to be and what places it encumpis as if her area is in it iv just found my new holiday place to go lol. Thanks

1438603105_gold-tri.jpg
Hope this helps explain. :)

tassietaurusbull said:
So would kerang be on the outer edge of the gt in Vic ? My aunty thinks her property may be ? Thanks

No, mate - that's way too far to the North. The gold sources in the ancient slate are buried under later layers of thick volcanic basalt, starting just North of Wedderburn. In theory there could be gold somewhere down there, but it's nowhere near the surface.

Ya know I always thought that the Triangle was defined by Wedderburn, Dunolly and St,Arnaud. Guess I was badly informed.
Still love looking at the map and remembering the days that was.
Good Luck
Mackka

Chewy said:
I just googled it, it came up in the images, but Bendigo and Ballarat are on the map, they represent 2 of the points of the golden triangle.

I know they do, but on the map the highlighted triangular area is only Wedderburn-Castlemaine-Avoca!

tassietaurusbull said:
So would kerang be on the outer edge of the gt in Vic ? My aunty thinks her property may be ? Thanks
Its only about 1hr from Wedderburn & theres a few known gold areas within a couple of hours. I reckon you could launch some type of search from there?

Yea right that sounds good I could use her place as a base of stack for Vic and NSW. I'm assuming I could hire a decent detector will I'm over there from some place.

Hi all
I'm new to this so excuse me if I come across a bit thick
I would like to come and prospect the golden triangle and have been reading up on the camping rules.Is it correct that I can camp anywhere in the state forest and are dogs allowed.All my detecting is done in NQ [Flat Creek Station] and the other thing that worrys me are dog baits.Are they used in State Forest?
Thanks Edgey

Latest posts