The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more regular good/big stuff is on private land. Hundreds of people visit the gold fields every year, and as the saying goes, they didn't get it all. Walk over the same ground as everyone else, but tilt your detector 5 degrees to the left, or be fortunate to have an EMI free day so targets are clear, and you are in business.

I've heard of people getting ounce plus nuggets in areas known for rice sized gold. I know of people prospecting for 2-3 years without a single nugget. I also know of one person who went on a training day, got off the mini bus, turned on the detector and found his first nugget. My wife found her first nugget in her first 15 seconds (or less).

The point is, the easy stuff has all but gone, but it still remains random that you will come across any gold. Some very experienced prospectors still seem to find gold with many hours of coil to the ground. Their skill is being able to read the ground and have a very close relationship with their equipment, to the point their detector is like an extension of their arm, connected to their brain - and they do the work.

casper said:
PS:The search button is your friend ;)

Indeed, it is useful. I mean of course I am interested in people's thoughts too - as a former gold exploration geo I sit back in awe at what's happened at Fosterville. But I am still getting my head around the prospecting mentality - it is nothing like exploration, chalk and cheese. In exploration you don't really have to be cagey if you "own" the ground!

But yes, family/friends are like "so where is the gold? please mark up my google with an X right there where the nuggets are" LOL

Where is the best part of the GT?

All of it, you have as much chance of finding gold in one area as any other. I come over from Interstate and have found bits of gold in just about every area I've been and I've been to most.

Private property, good luck with that, unless you know someone that might let you on their land.

A-team said:
The more regular good/big stuff is on private land. Hundreds of people visit the gold fields every year, and as the saying goes, they didn't get it all. Walk over the same ground as everyone else, but tilt your detector 5 degrees to the left, or be fortunate to have an EMI free day so targets are clear, and you are in business.

I've heard of people getting ounce plus nuggets in areas known for rice sized gold. I know of people prospecting for 2-3 years without a single nugget. I also know of one person who went on a training day, got off the mini bus, turned on the detector and found his first nugget. My wife found her first nugget in her first 15 seconds (or less).

The point is, the easy stuff has all but gone, but it still remains random that you will come across any gold. Some very experienced prospectors still seem to find gold with many hours of coil to the ground. Their skill is being able to read the ground and have a very close relationship with their equipment, to the point their detector is like an extension of their arm, connected to their brain - and they do the work.

The hopeful idea is that people have been saying the same thing about minerals and gold exploration ground for decades too - yet we get Fostervilles and such... never give up. Always follow that hunch. Test it before you leave it.

UnderEmployedGeo said:
casper said:
PS:The search button is your friend ;)

Indeed, it is useful. I mean of course I am interested in people's thoughts too - as a former gold exploration geo I sit back in awe at what's happened at Fosterville. But I am still getting my head around the prospecting mentality - it is nothing like exploration, chalk and cheese. In exploration you don't really have to be cagey if you "own" the ground!

But yes, family/friends are like "so where is the gold? please mark up my google with an X right there where the nuggets are" LOL

Ok here ya go ..... PM sent

Ok UEG, I don't usually do this, but I'll share the results of my reasearch with you. It's outside of the GT, but undoubtedly the best spot for big gold and also coin shooting. It's on Crown land, I've even offered a 60/40 split on finds in their favor, but try as I have to explain that I'm the holder of a miners right which allows me access, the bastards wont budge! :mad:

1610832753_funnymap.jpg

Deepseeker said:
Ok UEG, I don't usually do this, but I'll share the results of my reasearch with you. It's outside of the GT, but undoubtedly the best spot for big gold and also coin shooting. It's on Crown land, I've even offered a 60/40 split on finds in their favor, but try as I have to explain that I'm the holder of a miners right which allows me access, the bastards wont budge! :mad:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13321/1610832753_funnymap.jpg

Geez that's really mean spirited of them hey! :lol:

Latest posts