Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, All sounds good then.

Mitchell King single, about $199 online delivered.

Better get it ordered.

Would have been nice and chilly for you G0lddigg@ in ballarat the other morning if you were in the swag in the -5.6 degrees.

I remember it well :) lucky i was in central heating lol

1437454730_tmp_16124-20150719_1000011625709675.jpg

Another little piece of advice:

Always roll your poles and pegs up in your swag when you store it so you don't forget them next time you go camping.
Hasn't happened to me but I know someone who had a very uncomfortable night below zero last winter :|

Terry

Blisters,

You are not allowed to have two missus' when you go camping. Although, what happens on the road stays on the road!

That is unless you are one of the 37 million people who had their details hacked from the "affair" website!!!

Terry

Explorer385 said:
Blisters,

You are not allowed to have two missus' when you go camping. Although, what happens on the road stays on the road!

That is unless you are one of the 37 million people who had their details hacked from the "affair" website!!!

Terry

I shouldn't joke like that in case the missus reads it! Then I'd be laying out in the frost with no blanket.

Hey,

Thought I had best update this tread. Have been away.

Got the Oztrail Mitchell King swag. Ended up pricematching an online price with BCF. Got it for $200.

Tested it out on the weekend at Inglewood. 1 degree overnight, I had a thermal top on, shirt and pants.
I was inside a sleeping bag with another sleeping bag on top if needed.
This was all just in case....

Within 20 mins, i had my gear off down to my undies, top sleeping bag kick off, main sleeping bag unzipped and the end of the swag open for some cool air.

I was roasting. Couldnt believe how warm i was.

That was in 1 degree. So with a good sleeping bag, sub zero wouldnt be a problem.

It also rained overnight, we had a gazeebo over us. Swag got wet on the outside, perfectly dry on the inside.

Highly recommend the swag. You can get more expensive and add some bells and whistles, but I had a great nights sleep and was warm as toast.

$200 Well worth it.

Hey Neo

I have exactly the same swag and agree 100% with your comments did the same thing over winter as well.

Another tip is, get yourself a fold out stretcher and put your swag on that, use a tent pole to extend the ends so you do not need to tie it down. Also gets you off the ground and is very comfortable.

Lastly I have a 7x4(approx) tarp that in heavy weather I put over the top of the swag and have ochy straps at each end tying it to the stretcher underneath it. This give an extra bit of protection, but what it does do as well is take the heat of the swag in summer, plus it keeps it nice and dark if you want a small sleep in. Not essential but have used it a few times and works a treat. If you don't have the Gazebo with you it does a good job.

Overall the swag on its own is great anyway, but these small changes I found made a huge difference. Especially getting in and out of the swag, having a bed to put shoes on etc... plus getting off hard ground.

Neo__04 said:
Hey,

Thought I had best update this tread. Have been away.

Got the Oztrail Mitchell King swag. Ended up pricematching an online price with BCF. Got it for $200.

Tested it out on the weekend at Inglewood. 1 degree overnight, I had a thermal top on, shirt and pants.
I was inside a sleeping bag with another sleeping bag on top if needed.
This was all just in case....

Within 20 mins, i had my gear off down to my undies, top sleeping bag kick off, main sleeping bag unzipped and the end of the swag open for some cool air.

I was roasting. Couldnt believe how warm i was.

That was in 1 degree. So with a good sleeping bag, sub zero wouldnt be a problem.

It also rained overnight, we had a gazeebo over us. Swag got wet on the outside, perfectly dry on the inside.

Highly recommend the swag. You can get more expensive and add some bells and whistles, but I had a great nights sleep and was warm as toast.

$200 Well worth it.

I got mine this week.
Went for the Jungle Reef ones from Techni Ice.
When I purchased on ebay I thought I got the extra large but somehow I ordered the double.
Oh well. Got it now so I may as well keep it.
Just seasoning it in for a week to see how it fares.
Thanks for the suggestions all.

2015%2B-%2B1

Nice place for a dog or cat to crawl into...I should do the same with the Xlarge I purchased-but I know our Cocker Spaniel would love it.
A bit more room won't hurt. What if you pick up a hitch-hiker on the way to the bush?? MMmmmm???
Jaros :p

I bought a Burke & Wills Bushwacker swag King Single size new for $156 in Dandenong size 3 weeks ago. Left it out in the rain for 3 days to condition it before drying and stowing. Used it first time last weekend in the Vic High Country not far below the snowline so it was a cold night, and it rained from 3am for about 4 hours. I was toasty warm and dry and so were my boots which were under the mat cum flap on the side. The only water that got inside was runoff when i unzipped to get out. I'm on the wrong side of 60 and have always slept in tents and this is the warmest sleep outdoors I've ever experienced. And here it is pitched before nightfall on a little mound for drainage (rain was expected - and it arrived)
1439023581_screen_shot_2015-08-08_at_5.57.15_pm.png

1439023899_screen_shot_2015-08-08_at_5.56.43_pm.png

and the following morning (no I'm not inside)
1439024438_screen_shot_2015-08-08_at_6.59.10_pm.png

I was hoping for frost or snow so i could have the complete experience ...... I'm "almost" converted..

casper

Hi Neo_o4,

Happy to hear you're happy with your swag.
I love mine and would recommend the Mitchell King to anyone looking for a good all round swag.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yeah its great. I will be out again this weekend prospecting and give it another test run

A quick questions WestAus,

With your tent pole to push out the end of the swag, where did you get that from?
Something from like ray's outdoors?

Neo__04 said:
A quick questions WestAus,

With your tent pole to push out the end of the swag, where did you get that from?
Something from like ray's outdoors?

Yes just a standard tent pole, Rays, BCF have them. Just make sure it extends the length of the swag plus a bit so you can put tensions between the two ends when fully extended. I forget my camp chair on this trip, ended up using the side of the bed as a seat when needed.

1439268046_camp_cue.jpg

Hi guys,

Current in the market for a swag and I was after some information on the Darche swags. I have had a look through the archives and there isn't a lot. Any information would be great. In particular the Darche Airvolution.

I was at the Melbourne 4X4 show the other month and every second person I saw walking out with a swag (and there were a few), had a Darche.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers Keano