Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keano said:
Hi guys,

Current in the market for a swag and I was after some information on the Darche swags. I have had a look through the archives and there isn't a lot. Any information would be great. In particular the Darche Airvolution.

I was at the Melbourne 4X4 show the other month and every second person I saw walking out with a swag (and there were a few), had a Darche.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers Keano

Gidday Keano

My mate is the Sales Manager for Darche. If you like I can PM you his number and he would help you out Im sure.
GT

Yeah, you wont go wrong with a Darche......good swag!

I like the idea of the ventilation dome on the Air-Volution! Just means you gotta carry the small hand pump around also but it only weighs 390grams.
Better than tent poles i reckon.

400gsm Ripstop canvas is nice and sturdy.

WildEarth Australia has em on eBay for $449.00.
Good Seller with fast-free delivery (bought my Blackwolf from them).

Going by his Pic's, they have a good storm cover also!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Darche-A...canvas-Swag-/360910073598?hash=item5407eaaefe

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I've narrowed it down to 2. Either the 1100 Airvolution or the Dawn to Dusk.

GT, that would be absolutely awesome if you could give me his number. Would love to have a chat with him.

Thanks again guys.

Yesterday I received my new swag from eBay.
It's a "23 Zero" double and has a very comfortable 50mm high density foam mattress.
Its 1 meter high and 2150 long by 1550 wide.
The canvas is 14oz rip stop poly cotton and has a ridge poll to keep everything nice and tight.
The ventilation is brilliant but it will also be a very warm unit in the Ballarat winter.
I can't wait to use in the next few weeks and it only cost $229.00 + $10.00 delivery. (Introductory price)
I am definitely a very happy camper.
Cheers Steve :D

I was in ray outdoors today and they have a wild country swag on special for $129 bloody good deal i reckon. $90 off

Jettent bunker for me. Easy to put up and pull down and comfortable to sleep in. I use a self inflating mattress and quality sleeping bag. I am very happy with it.

i have to say i love my Burke and wills, took me years to buy one now i think i'll have to get a double so i can take the kids camping up on fraser

things to look at when comparing swags.
Poly cotton mix canvas is cheaper than pure cotton canvas but not as breathable or long lasting.
When checking mattress support, do not pinch but put hand under and hand above mattress and then push flat of hands together to get better indication of support.
Store should always let you climb inside (shoes off), lie on your side and see if hip and shoulder is supported off the floor.
The density of the foam gives the support, some swags have two layers of foam, higher density foam under the trunk, less,dense foam under the legs. Helps to minimise size of swag roll.
Some people like eggshell foam but it increases size of swag role.
Fibreglass poles stronger and more durable than aluminium poles
Check zip quality, YKK zips good reputation and self repairing.
Check stitching, better swags have really close stitching and double stitching.
Most good swags do not need wetting and drying to make waterproof, that's something from years ago.
Occassionally a swag may weep through needle hole in stitching, once it dries it should seal up and remain waterproof.
If camping frequently on very wet ground, some brands have a poly base. Good on wet ground but watch condensation and mould under mattress.
Hope this helps.
By the way I retailed multiple swag models and brands for 20plus years.

These are the best in my opinion, water proof, insect proof, off the ground so no probs with creepy crawlies, 150kgs rated, I love mine. :D
$_12.JPG

Looked at the Oztrail steacher swag at Wodonga caravan and camp show, I was keen to get one; saw it first thing in morning and had moisture inside; with no - one sleeping in it, not a good sign. Put me right off them, too much plastic maybe. Good concept though; folds up smaller than most.
Cheers LL

Latest posts