Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrDuck said:
I've got one of the Jungle Reef swags sold by techni ice. I have been very happy with it, and reckon its good value too.

http://www.techniice.com/

Timely topic as I was just looking at some yesterday in a couple of the camping stores.
I did like the look of the Boab ones. But at this price for a jungle reef lucky I did not purchase one.

How long have you had yours for DrDuck?

Hey dr duck roughly how big is it all rolled up? Is it quite long being a double as that's the size I'm looking at.

Yep, the double size is big when rolled up. If I got another one, I'd get the XL size, as the Mrs won't come camping in the double swag any way. Still, I get all my camping gear for three or 4 days away, pump sluice etc in the back of the dual cab ute and in the rear seat area.

I liked the idea of the camp stretcher, too. But it is no good in cold weather.

I really froze about a month ago when I slept in it at Oallen Ford. I had to get up in the middle of the night, in a thick and freezing fog, and get a second sleeping bag out of my litrle van. No fun. And to add insult to injury one of the two pull-out poles holding up the net and the flysheet slipped down during the night. That briught the soaking wet roof down almost to my face. It's nice for summer nights, however.

Use a swag and hve extra bedding/insulation between you and that cold, cold ground. That's what sucks the heat out of your body. And on a stretcher you get the icy cold wind blowing underneath you. Not good.

agree the benefit of off the ground sleeping is lost in a cold climate :) i'm not a fan at all, ive bought three different satyles of stretcher over the years and they all were more stress than they were worth. Mind you the missus did used to come camping because we had a double stretcher setup.

now we live in Victoria theres no way shell come anyway :) swag with the roof top awning pulled out and if staying for a few days i take the pop up market style awning to store my gear in case i want to go for a wander.

A big vote for the Oztent jet Bunker.
A little more expensive then the rest, but superb quality, all Aust canvas.
Can be had, if patient, for sub $400.

We have used ours in sub zero temps and was as warm as toast.
In summer ditch the cover and you are under the midge proof screens.

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Jet-Tent-...G4oDMoZtXmwA_1FSaVOUFbbZKAx1lXFulNBoCu9fw_wcB

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRg8uVcExJM[/video]

1437366039_a031.jpg

1437366050_a034.jpg

1437366067_a032.jpg

Just picked up a heavy duty 15oz Waterproof Ripstop Canvas Swag - Extra Large $204.00 delivered.
Twill give me a bed if my wife and i have an argument out there. I'll take the swag and she can have the Camper Trailer inner spring bed.
I might think about that though???
Jaros :p

Had a jolly swag for over 10 years then bought a double Darche swag and we used that for at least 6 years' both were open end so we generally set up a fly tarp, no complaints from either and we used to camp in the snow.

These days if I'm going to rough it I use a hike lite tent' roll out inflatable mat and expensive sleeping bag, each has its benefits but I like to take my gear inside the tent and everything fits into my pack.

If I was going to buy another swag it would be a tent cot.

Thanks for the info guys. So many varied opinions.

The Jungle reef swags by techniice do seem to get some good reviews when you google around a few forums.
And they do have an ebay site with swags on auction. Some bargains there.

Might see what i can get one for. Made by the same mob who supplies the Australian defence force etc. Cant be too bad

DrDuck said:
Hey Hard Luck

I've had mine for two or three years.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris and everyone else for the discussion.
Considering the price and the amount of times I intend to use it I may just go for one of these.
And as Neo_04 mentions they seem to get pretty good reviews.

They do sound like a great deal.

You can get them on ebay, one just sold for $72.

The only problem is, theres no stock, it was a preorder ebay sale.

Techniice dont have stock for a while either, they said the end of the month.

Problem i have now is that I wanted to get one this week, because im away next week, then want to go prospecting... And i need somewhere to sleep!

Now i need to look for other cheap/good swags!

Haha always the way isnt it... i think you will find most swags are pretty good. Its more a matter of how they woll hold up after multiple uses. Hope you find something mate

Hi Neo_04,

I have an Oz Trail Mitchell King Single Swag that I use regularly in the alpine areas, I am a mad fisherman and camp in the mountains lots, including winter. My brother in law also has one.

I love it. I have had it for about 3 years now and I think it will meet all of your criteria.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I thinks thats the way i will go.

You can get them online for $199 delivered.

Another questions while im going.

Canvas or PVC floor? Any preferences?

Thanks all, you've been a great help

Hi Neo_04,

I have the canvas floor, and have had no problems at all. Personally prefer canvas floor, am a little concerned about condensation under the mattress with a PVC floor. As with all swags, leave one of the ends partially open to allow condensation from your breath to escape else you will wake up to a wet swag.

I always open my swag up when I wake and let the air and sun dry everything out but leave all the screens closed to prevent bugs from getting in.

I always air it out when I get home and let it dry before storage if it gets wet.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Both my swags had canvas base, leave a $2 emergency blanket in the swag under the pillow that you can fold out underneath if it's snowing or pi$$ing rain, really only needed in extreme weather.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Both my swags had canvas base, leave a $2 emergency blanket in the swag under the pillow that you can fold out underneath if it's snowing or pi$$ing rain, really only needed in extreme weather.

this is top advice, i use a $5 tarp same reason but ive got two of those emergency blankets in my car had for 10 + years never found a use for them now i do

Latest posts