Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys, I appreciate all the advice.

I spent the last few days really researching the various brands, models and had narrowed it down to the OZtrail Mitchell Single Dome Swag... but, I dropped into Rays Outdoors today with the intention of seeing one first hand and found they were not stocking that particular model, they do however stock a very similar model called the Glenrowan which is very much the same thing except the Glenrowan has a PVC floor to keep moisture from coming through.

I left empty handed but went back as I couldn't resist the temptation of their 40% off sale for rewards members. Normally $279, picked it up for $167.40 :D. The rewards sale ends tomorrow and you can sign up and save on the spot, registration is free so why not :)

The image below is of the Mitchell but they look exactly the same. I also believe the Glenrowan is exclusive to Rays Outdoors as I can't them on the OZtrail website or anywhere else really.

347854-zoom.JPG

That is a great purchase Nugget, the PVC floor is a good feature and you will appreciate it keeping your mattress dry.

Consider packing an old hand towel to wipe it down as you roll it up, you will be surprised how your body heat will draw moisture out of the ground.

You might cop some shit around the camp fire at Hill End, but a single electric blanket and extension cord for those subzero nights is worth copping some shit over.

I'm not planning on getting a stretcher at this point as I think the mattress should be thick enough (hopefully), if not I'll look at adding one of those thin foam roll-up mattresses underneath for extra padding.

Wally, I'll probably look at adding an electric blanket before for next winter comes around :D

I did see those duck and even toyed with the idea of getting one, but I think I'd prefer being on the ground to be honest.

Hey Nugget nice purchase, just a suggestion though go get yourself an adjustable ridge pole about $18-20 to go across the top between the two hoops.

That way it will support itself and not need to be pegged out unless you want to.

Then if you do decide to get the stretcher later it will sit on it nicely.

Oztrail Jumbo Stretcher is the one I got fits the swag perfectly and can take up to 130Kg, about $80-90.

It saves all that bending down to get in and out and saves having to dig a hip hole under the swag to get comfortable.

Hope this helps :D

the duck said:
Look at tent cots they pack up smaller than a swag
See that had me scratching my head when I was looking. Oh mate that tent cot is harder and longer to put up and takes up more space than a swag. .... I was like you're having me on buddy, I've never gotten the swag in the cab of the ute yet haha, and I'm not a fan of muddy undersides. I mean how quickly do you really need to set up something you're going to sleep in? How much of a hurry are you going to be in to pack it up... I reckon they were trying to sell me the swag so I could return and buy the tent cot haha. You'd have a hard time convincing me a swag is better than a cot but each to their own.

Hi mate , I bought a KULKYNE "king single dome swag " , easy to set up , round 5 minutes tops, no need for pegs or guy ropes , can set it up on concrete if you had to , had no dramas with it so far .
Fairly roomy inside to sleep , but can also get larger size ones , mattress is pretty comfy , and has good ventilation for summer as all sides can open up .

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Kulkyne-K...78cP03eOwxTaQNZCtoThBW8JAr9219xiqcaAsNx8P8HAQ

Have Army Bivvy bag for backpacking , and looking at getting a tent , but also with a tent , which does pack smaller , you still have to stow a mattress and bedding , with my swag everything is contained in the swag and it stows in a carry / duffel bag that comes with it.

We have two Jet Bunkers bu Oztent.
Really small footprint and quick to set up.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpnvT8uCPbM[/video]

For even more comfort we added a Roman Delex Moon Mat.
These self inflaters take a genuine 20 seconds to roll up, unlike battling the cheaper ones for 5 minutes.

1413682249_mat.jpg

Have the Oztrail version of the Jet Tent Bunker. Works real good, just throw in a roll up foam mattress and a sleeping bag. Good for short stays.

Also got it as easier to get in and out off, especially in the middle of the night. ;)

Hi All,

Getting myself better setup to be able to get out and enjoy prospecting more often.

Looking at buying a swag so i can quickly and easily setup for an overnight trip without worrying about tents etc.

Any suggestions on a good but cheaper swag.

I've read good things about the jet bunker/swag tent setup - kulkyne.com/au/Stretcher-Tent_2.html

Looking at spending 200-300 to get myself something.

Any suggestions would be great.

Burke and wills mate. They used ti be crazy expensive but for around $300 you can get yourself a bigman swag. I love mine stiching is awesome the mattress is great and it has great ventilation when i need it.

I've had a couple of cheap swags years ago but had the Burke & Wills Simpson for a few years now and it's by far the best I've had.
Like DrDuck when it's cold (0 to -4c) I put my flannel sleeping bag under me and have a Q/S doona over the top and sleep like baby.

Latest posts