Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm after a single person swag, I know nothing about these as I'm more of a tent guy ;)

What should I look for and are there any brands / types to steer clear of?

Sorry can't help with swag. I use caravan or minute man tent which is a square tent peg it down step in put pole in centre done.

I use a swag mine is a BCF brand I love it there are swags that have poles that can keep the top of the swag off you these are good for a bit more room and I found that they don't get as hot and not as closed is on you my swag is a old school one and the first time I slept in it I Couldn't get out and got a little stressed lol all good now . Why do you want a swag

littleazza said:
Why do you want a swag

I'm hoping it would be a more compact than packing a tent and matress, and maybe a little easier to setup and put away?

Pete_The_Prospector said:
When you coming into town next Nugget, I will show you the one I told you about before I list it :D

Tomorrow night mate.

Tent will be smaller the swag will take up a lot of room I've also got a bivi it's sort of a tent and swag very small and lite but you till need a mattress

We got Burke & Wills "Ironbark" swags - 3 of them...(green, brown & a pink one)
Good bag & generous size.

One has the rubber base, the other 2 are canvas base. Just a plain sort of traditional bag.
No poles or anything. Tie up the top to a branch or something if you need but I don't bother.
They got good zippers & fly screen. $220 off eBay delivered for the canvas base ones in any colour.

My thoughts on hooped/swags with poles - friends have used them & sook about bent or broken poles, they take a bit more to set up. May as well buy a tent.

i got mine from muswellbrook, an old work of mine makes them. he makes a king size and a kids size, the king size easily sleeps my self and my 11 year old daughter , good mattress and rolls up good, if you wanna take a look let me know as i'm prob heading to newcastle this week and can call in and show it to you

Nugget said:
littleazza said:
Why do you want a swag

I'm hoping it would be a more compact than packing a tent and matress, and maybe a little easier to setup and put away?

Look at Annaconda or Ray's Outdoors both those companies have plenty of swags to choose from.
Have looked at them but still prefer a small tent and an air bed. Easy to put up and pull down. OK would take longer than a swag. But the benefits are they keep you dry as well as away from the mozzies and are lighter and less bulky than swags and you can pop them away in there bags and keep the car nice and dry. Also easier to grab your boots and what ever and go for a midnight p**. Besides find swags too hot and too confining.

Looking to get something myself, looked at swags and have decided against them. Instead I am looking at the Coleman instant up tents. They only take a couple of minutes to erect and much cheaper than the oztent and black wolf offerings.

BBQ's Galore have some of the best specials you will find on camping gear. They keep good brands too.

They often have swags on special. Not all BBQ's galore stores have the camping section but the ones that do are worth a look.

Creekbed :)

Thanks guys, my brother in law bought a camper so I've been lucky enough to stay in that most camp outs. I still wouldn't mind buying a swag eventually so I'll keep some of those brands in mind for when I do.

Hi Nugget. I bought our double swag from Bob Burrage-Australia Outback Bush Gear Ph.02 4272 3705. His swags are bloody great and he stands by what he makes. When I ordered it off him he told me flat, "If you or your wife don't like it send it back to me and I will give you your money back." We did a month long trip doing the Simpson desert and the distant surrounds and there was not a chance I was sending it back to him. Not one complaint from the wife who is more accustomed to 5 star hotels than billion star nights. I think I slept better in the swag than in my own bed. Nice thick egg shell foam, blanket lined inner, double zips, larger taper at entry end so you can lay on your side without the swag getting tight. We could have fit the 2 kids in with us as well. The daughter ended up in with us a couple of times and we were not squashed. Pretty sure his singles come in different sizes and he also does ones for carrying on bikes.

I am pretty sure you will find him and his wife at most 4WD and camping shows to see the quality and design differences compared to the mass produced ones. Made by a man and wife who have traveled Australia extensively and I imagine spent many nights in a swag. He also does a lot of other canvas work such as car awnings for the rear or sides of your car.

Swags do still take up a bit of room but they are quick and easy to set up and pack up.

Latest posts