Quick check of the ATX against the GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day will come where other options as good if not
Better will be available especially if the gold price
Increases in the future.

You can only improve a platform for so long.

These debates have been around since the intro of
The sd series back in the 90's.

Its just a matter of time.

Don't be surprised if a good gold pi detector is developed
By a european based manufacturer.

Whats great is as more detectors become available it
Increases competition and prices drop.

I hope Garrett keeps improving the ATX and i do hope a
Lighter non waterproof version also becomes available.

And one last thing to find a nugget you also need to
Walk over it.

Retirement Stone said:
Joe I beleive my scales weigh gold much better than you scales?

Cheers

They probably do RS, :D and I'm happy for ya. I paid $3 inc. delivery from Honk Kong

Mr Boring said:
and its nothing like Holden VS Ford, Its like Holden VS Dunlop bicycles!
ah personal taste comes into play here :) Bumodors are ok if Dunlop bicycle gets a flat :D

joe said:
Hi guys, I'm not arguing here just adding food for thought. The ratio of minelab users is a lot higher than newly introduced ATX. I can say that the ATX does find gold , just because people aren't posting their findings does not mean that they aren't finding anything.
Here is some of my recent ATX gold finds. I would personally not be comparing the two machines in public forums.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/175/1399025744_image.jpg
Nice gold there Joe.
Wasn't saying the ATX won't find gold mate - have seen other examples where it has too, just not a lot of them compared to people on forums etc. saying they aren't finding any gold with it "yet" or are a bit disappointed similar to the infinium release really. I agree that the ATX does have a place & some good features but to say it's a better dedicated gold detector than the GPX5000 or 4500 for that matter, like Jindy was saying, is a bit hard to swallow. If your going to look for gold underwater then the ATX is the way to go but in normal Australian Goldfield detecting then I reckon the GPX is still No.1. As I said before the ATX is a good allrounder & gives some other options but it all depends on what you're preferences will be.
If you want a machine that will find gold speccis the GPX misses & the ATX can see some of it in testing then get a Whites GMT at less than half the price of an ATX again. Just throwing a Hyundai into the argument :lol:

mbasko said:
joe said:
Hi guys, I'm not arguing here just adding food for thought. The ratio of minelab users is a lot higher than newly introduced ATX. I can say that the ATX does find gold , just because people aren't posting their findings does not mean that they aren't finding anything.
Here is some of my recent ATX gold finds. I would personally not be comparing the two machines in public forums.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/175/1399025744_image.jpg
Nice gold there Joe.
Wasn't saying the ATX won't find gold mate - have seen other examples where it has too, just not a lot of them compared to people on forums etc. saying they aren't finding any gold with it "yet" or are a bit disappointed similar to the infinium release really. I agree that the ATX does have a place & some good features but to say it's a better dedicated gold detector than the GPX5000 or 4500 for that matter, like Jindy was saying, is a bit hard to swallow. If your going to look for gold underwater then the ATX is the way to go but in normal Australian Goldfield detecting then I reckon the GPX is still No.1. As I said before the ATX is a good allrounder & gives some other options but it all depends on what you're preferences will be.
If you want a machine that will find gold speccis the GPX misses & the ATX can see some of it in testing then get a Whites GMT at less than half the price of an ATX again. Just throwing a Hyundai into the argument :lol:

Agree mbasko, as an atx user and owner I know I leave bits and pieces behind for the GPX users. (I'm ok with that - sharing is caring :) ) It's a financial compromise I have made 2.7k vs 6k - knowing I'm only a recreational prospector not a full timer I could sneak 2.7k without the missus noticing. :D

The thing is today there are also a variety of detectors
you can Purchase 2nd hand including sd2100 and
sd2200, gp extreme, Gp 3000 and GP 3500 all under
the price of a new atx.

I own a modified gp 3500 and it cost me $2100 with
3 coils.

Each to their own.

joe said:
Mr Boring said:
ah personal taste comes into play here :) Bumodors are ok if Dunlop bicycle gets a flat :D

Given that you've started using the car analogy.
Can I remind you Joe that it was the Minelab Pinpointer that got the nugett over the finish line. :p :p :p
Holden wins again.

ChrisM said:
joe said:
Mr Boring said:

Given that you've started using the car analogy.
Can I remind you Joe that it was the Minelab Pinpointer that got the nugett over the finish line. :p :p :p
Holden wins again.

Crikey Chris - now you let the cat out of the bag :D ,,,, true mate I'll give partial success to Holden :) we have already packed up as the thunder and storm was closing in when I thought try here for a fun within 2 min turning the atx on got a promising signal that got a smile and surprise to our face - In fact another PA member was present. :)

Wolfau said:

But like all the others, they will not handle our mineralization.

Redfin said:
Wolfau said:

But like all the others, they will not handle our mineralization.

Not sure what your on about here.

Going by Reports the ATX is not doing so badly then you have the Whites TDI Pro
which I used and tested in Maryborough which was fairly quiet.
No these are US made machines not European but you did state "like the others".

You can not compare a unit that has been in development for about 15 years to something that has just been
released.

Gold prospecting is a very small niche market and when one of the first Aussie PI detectors were developed
the Gold Price was about $285 an ounce. These could be some reasons why others did not manufacture such a unit.

If a company developed 99% of the actual detector I would agree with your statement but they don't.

Next time your at the Dunolly pub take a good look around you. There could be an engineer from a detector manufacturer
who has built a few prototypes and is in central Victoria for testing and further product developments mingling in among the
crowd disguised as a tourist.

Nothing is impossible.

Hi all. .. I own a atx .. I chose it for . It's all round performance . It's emi capabilities over other machines that struggle Inc the minelabs . and in my budget as to what I could afford at the time . It's simple turn on and go after a few tweeks . And it's smooth running in hot ground . I live in Perth . My other choice was the tdi pro oz ..but It's not water proof like the atx.
I'm not Into which one is better gpx or atx . they both miss gold .. and that is due to coils and timings on the gpx and limited coil choice for the atx . . But that's changing soon when pmcoils release coils mid year for the atx ..
If I could afford the gpx I would of got one. But I like beach hunting as well as gold prospecting and needed a good pi for the flogged beaches in Perth .

Hey stalker, what was that about pmcoils releasing coils mid year? I too have an ATX and are thinking of getting the 20" coil........tell me more. TD

Forget the 20" coil . Here is what I got from pmcoils in a email

Hi Darren,

the direction we are taking is to make an adapter stem to fit onto the ATX and then allow standard lower stems with traditional

clevis' to fit onto the coils. Just have to buy the adapter once and then any stem with a 20mm wide clevis will suit. So initially

the Nuggeteer range for the ATX/Infinium will have the 9x6, 12x4, 15x5 and 18x6. Weexpectthat the most expensive of these

will be around the $350 mark. Others in our Scarab and Tarantula range willfollow later. Thanks, Andy

stalker said:
Forget the 20" coil . Here is what I got from pmcoils in a email

Hi Darren,

the direction we are taking is to make an adapter stem to fit onto the ATX and then allow standard lower stems with traditional

clevis' to fit onto the coils. Just have to buy the adapter once and then any stem with a 20mm wide clevis will suit. So initially

the Nuggeteer range for the ATX/Infinium will have the 9x6, 12x4, 15x5 and 18x6. Weexpectthat the most expensive of these

will be around the $350 mark. Others in our Scarab and Tarantula range willfollow later. Thanks, Andy

WOW - Coils now being made for the Infinium.

Why now?

The infinium has only been out in the market place for about 10 or so years.

I think the 18"x6" will be a better choice as a large coil option but my pic would be the 12"x4" mono .. .but I'd love to see what the Tarantula range will be. ..

stalker said:
I think the 18"x6" will be a better choice as a large coil option but my pic would be the 12"x4" mono .. .but I'd love to see what the Tarantula range will be. ..

What size would the 18x6 be in round configuration? Equivalent to about an 8" round? And the 12"x4" about a 6" round?

Ok, if price is the concern, ATX VS SD2100 (second hand). I KNOW the 2100 would beat it on ALL fronts. I watched with interest at first, but the ATX is as bad as the new whites goldmaster was in 2010. Its all marketing "puff"

Latest posts