Quick check of the ATX against the GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tassie Daz said:
Hey Wolf, do I detect some cynicism?

No. But I am disappointed for those that own and have used Infiniums for the past 10 years who were crying out for
more 3rd party coil options but had no options to them that were available. Its like why now after all of these years..

I'd like to see a sd2100 or any other minelab pull gold out from under powered lines .. 20oz in April at menzies under power lines ... that's how good the atx is with emi . . Garrett Australia has the Info on It's Facebook page . Pic and story were supplied to prospectors patch here In Perth " midland store "

Ok, if price is the concern, ATX VS SD2100 (second hand). I KNOW the 2100 would beat it on ALL fronts. I watched with interest at first, but the ATX is as bad as the new whites goldmaster was in 2010. Its all marketing "puff".. If you want a good range of depth and sensitivity with a suitable discrimination system that is acceptable on the "hottest" ground...buy a second hand minelab 2000 upward, sold my 2100 for $1500 with 5 coils!

It's a shame Garrett don't pull their finger out regard to coil options . at least pmcoils are aussie made

I got to say that the whole ML vs ATX vs Whites questions and answers are all now becoming just a little tirersome. We'll all think our own machines are the best because that's what we chose. I reckon its about time we all just moved on, don't you? And where are pmcoils located?

Tassie Daz said:
I got to say that the whole ML vs ATX vs Whites questions and answers are all now becoming just a little tirersome. We'll all think our own machines are the best because that's what we chose. I reckon its about time we all just moved on, don't you? And where are pmcoils located?
No Tassie, its about finding gold with the machine you are using, and perhaps getting a return on ur investment. I could not survive as a full time gold prospector using the ATX.

Coil selection for the atx is the let down .. and agree if I was full time prospecting I'd get the 5000. The atx is a all round multi purpose detector . but has its place when hunting gold where you struggle with other machines ...
but the real problem is coils for the atx . and I'm sure once there Is a wider selection of coils for the atx that's when It's going to shine . and the atx needs mono coils

If it were closer to the US list price, I might be more excited, but pricing of everything "Garrett" in Australia hasn't exactly set my world on fire as of late. Infinium should also be a hell of a lot more cheaper, and closer to $1000, considering its age and is pretty much a superceded model. For $4000, I would expect the package to also include the 8" mono. Over $700 for a coil is laughable, what were they thinking??? I use garrett gear, so I am not bashing the atx, just the pricing. :/ .

I wonder how the warranty will be affected by "doctoring" the atx to suit some other coil. Just a thought!

Yeah well the only reason I bought an ATX was I got a sweet deal from the US!
I only paid $2600 including shipping.

Much more affordable for me compared to a PI minelab! and I reckon minelab should be pursuing weather sealing design features for those dollars.

Tassie Daz said:
I wonder how the warranty will be affected by "doctoring" the atx to suit some other coil. Just a thought!

At least you can use the Infinium DD coils with the ATX, but wont fit the standard shaft setup. They are considerable cheaper than the ATX options and apparently work well.

Goldpick said:
Tassie Daz said:

At least you can use the Infinium DD coils with the ATX, but wont fit the standard shaft setup. They are considerable cheaper than the ATX options and apparently work well.

Shame the infinium coil is not tuned to the atx . even though it works well on the atx . it's not tuned to the atx ..and hopefully pm coils are tuning the the coils to suit the atx .

This is my train of thought....

This pic is 10 pieces of gold that I have detected myself using a GPX5000 and the 8" commander coil. As you can see the average weight is just 0.057g. I never detected a single piece of gold until I bought the 5000. A gold bug pro, a GMT, a Gold Bug II, a Fisher F5 a chinese GC1038, a chinese fake Gold Bug Pro will all detect these pieces. The ATX I tested did not (and didn't detect the 0.17g piece I also put under it).

I bought a 5000 because it would pick up these sub grain pieces, AND be quiet whilst doing it, most of these bits would be found by a Dave Johnson VLF but you'll also be finding a lot of rocks!

This represents (to me) at least half a gram of gold that would remain in the ground if I hadn't gone for the big gun. Price of entry is high yes, but so is the price of entry to most other mansports - have a look at motorcycles, 4wdriving, photography, surfing, spearfishing, fishing etc etc etc.

I have no problem with folks persevering with the older tech or cheaper options, it leaves gold in the ground for me to find!

1399194162_tinygold.jpg

A 5000 is a turn on and go machine. The only thing I ever change is the RX Gain and the Stabiliser. Hardly a difficult proposition - and my first piece of gold ever with it was found on the FP setting, ie as it is when you get it out of the box (Special on front cap for Fine Gold)

Tassie Daz said:
Garrett ATX manual said:
Your atx detector is warranted for 24 months, limited parts and labor, but does not cover damage caused by alteration, modification, neglect, accident or misuse
You should still be covered unless the alteration directly causes/contributes to the damage. If your control box blows up don't know how you'd go if ya machine is altered for aftermarket coils especially if a coil circuitry component goes?
Much the same warranty conditions for anything.

you didn't say what coil on the atx .. Ben .. The atx 8" coil will pick up sub 1g " 0.1g" with sensitivity @ 6 at a inch. .

Latest posts