Quick check of the ATX against the GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoldCheddar2005 said:
Hi Some of you are not convincing me to part with my precious money! On price the ATX, and I have access to my brothers SD2100.

I certainly cant afford a GPX, you haven't pried $$$$ out of my hand to give to the guy the owns miners den. There is a few machines in the next price bracket that somebody could persuade me to consider. So I wish, amongst the negativity, someone would give the positives in buying the Garrett.

Does that make sense?

Sure does. I currently have a GPX 5000, ATX, TDI, Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, and GMT plus some others. If you took them all away except my ATX I would still go out and I would still find gold. Metal detector manufacturers sometimes give me detectors for free to go use. Why? Because if they do I can and will go find gold with the detector, and that helps them sell detectors.

Metal detectors do not find gold. Prospectors find gold. Metal detectors are a tool some prospectors use. If a prospector can only find gold with one brand or one model of metal detector than in my opinion they are not all that good at metal detecting for gold. The secret is in putting yourself on good locations and then working like a dog.

No matter what detector I have I am going to try and put myself someplace where I can find gold. If you have a "better detector" and I consistently put myself in better locations I am still going to find more gold than you. If we both know what we are doing but you detect a day a week and I detect seven, I am going to find more gold. In general.

The reason I do well is I put myself in better locations than a lot of people and I work hard at it. I am not some kind of detecting wizard. I am just a very hard working prospector. Too many people think this stuff is easy and expect too much from too little effort. The only difference in having a detector that may not be up to your partners detector is you are going to have to work smarter and work harder than him.

That said, get the best equipment you can afford, and if that means buying used then do so.

Maybe that means you get a Garrett ATX from a widow for $800. Then learn the detector, and research out good locations, and get to work finding gold. The Garrett ATX if the Minelab detectors did not exist would be the best nugget hunter you could buy. It can find gold. Or rather I should say I can find gold with my Garrett ATX because detectors do not find gold!

Steve Herschbach said:
GoldCheddar2005 said:
Hi Some of you are not convincing me to part with my precious money! On price the ATX, and I have access to my brothers SD2100.

I certainly cant afford a GPX, you haven't pried $$$$ out of my hand to give to the guy the owns miners den. There is a few machines in the next price bracket that somebody could persuade me to consider. So I wish, amongst the negativity, someone would give the positives in buying the Garrett.

Does that make sense?

Sure does. I currently have a GPX 5000, ATX, TDI, Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, and GMT plus some others. If you took them all away except my ATX I would still go out and I would still find gold. Metal detector manufacturers sometimes give me detectors for free to go use. Why? Because if they do I can and will go find gold with the detector, and that helps them sell detectors.

Metal detectors do not find gold. Prospectors find gold. Metal detectors are a tool some prospectors use. If a prospector can only find gold with one brand or one model of metal detector than in my opinion they are not all that good at metal detecting for gold. The secret is in putting yourself on good locations and then working like a dog.

No matter what detector I have I am going to try and put myself someplace where I can find gold. If you have a "better detector" and I consistently put myself in better locations I am still going to find more gold than you. If we both know what we are doing but you detect a day a week and I detect seven, I am going to find more gold. In general.

The reason I do well is I put myself in better locations than a lot of people and I work hard at it. I am not some kind of detecting wizard. I am just a very hard working prospector. Too many people think this stuff is easy and expect too much from too little effort. The only difference in having a detector that may not be up to your partners detector is you are going to have to work smarter and work harder than him.

That said, get the best equipment you can afford, and if that means buying used then do so.

Maybe that means you get a Garrett ATX from a widow for $800. Then learn the detector, and research out good locations, and get to work finding gold. The Garrett ATX if the Minelab detectors did not exist would be the best nugget hunter you could buy. It can find gold. Or rather I should say I can find gold with my Garrett ATX because detectors do not find gold!

I don't think I heard anyone put it any better.

To Steve Herschbach:
Hey Steve, its an honour to have you at this forum.
I came across your websites and read about you.
In the way I am glad you in US and not here in Australia,if you were, we would have nothing left to dig :)
Welcome.

Alex G said:
Steve Herschbach said:
GoldCheddar2005 said:

Does that make sense?

I don't think I heard anyone put it any better.

Thanks Steve, Alex and others - makes me feel better when I read constructive reports. Have an ATX, found gold, have no idea how much I've missed but I'm happy with it. It was an upgrade from sd2000 for me. (Purchased on special)

Alex G said:
To Steve Herschbach:
Hey Steve, its an honour to have you at this forum.
I came across your websites and read about you.
In the way I am glad you in US and not here in Australia,if you were, we would have nothing left to dig :)
Welcome.

Steve is currently away on holidays.

His last message read something like "3000 miles about four days driving, get set up, start detecting for gold June 16".

Thats dedication for you.

Many moons ago Steve used to sell prospecting equipment and has been online as far back as i can remember.

Well STEVE is certainly an inspiration for would be gold prospectors. I have often thought about his comments on gold prospecting, over 30 years since I first got some govt. maps of s.a. I haven't done anything so far about it. tesearch and hard work find gold.i have said it before,obviously one can find gold with out spending up to $6500 plus on a detector. it is the way I would have to go if I get the courage up to get out there and try.
I could be wrong in the assumption that any gold found with a detector should indicate the presence of a lode,or mbe even a reef ? perhaps that's where the real prospecting comes in. I hope to get out there have a go soon.

Latest posts