Quick check of the ATX against the GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol,

Common sense will prevail.

If u abuse your product then warranty would be very hard to obtain.
Like all products.

As I said and others have said, common sense.

If a coil stuffs up in normal use then it would be covered under warranty of course,
like all products sold by shops in Australia.
The coil covers will be out late december for those that are worried they might
be a bit harsh on their coil. In the mean time take a little care.

I use my infinium without a coil cover, I used my Goldbug DP without a coil cover,
actually all but my Cscope 4pi I used without coil covers n never damaged my coil
much other then scrapes n scratches.

So I think the question is mute.

Cheers.
Lee.
ps. As to pricing, the ATX was being sold in Aus for $2890 and the deepseeker for $3399.
Delivered free, or pickup or even hand delivered in some cases. There was even options
to layby them. There was no need to buy from overseas.
Our shop and many others had posted these prices across the Australian forums.
And seeing the first shipments were all sold out in advance then a lot of people took up the offers.
We wait to see their impressions after they have got to use their new detector for a week or 2.

thesmithy said:
Hey Diggerdude,
My ATX has been purchased through my US forwarding agent from the dealer.
Also was not aware of that Garrett agent could not ship to private Australia residents.

I will be using mine to detect iron stone deposits in the creek river systems that I HB from.
narrows down the search area some what.

My purchase price US is approx 1450 dollars cheaper than the 4000 dollars Au that Australian dealers are retailing them for.
Buy Australian by all means.......$450 mark up yeah by all means... but not $1450 ???
Cheers
TheSmithy
Keep us posted on the process mate, I am sure we will all jump on if it is smooth and no hassle from the US.

Toysandthings said:
ps. As to pricing, the ATX was being sold in Aus for $2890 and the deepseeker for $3399.
Delivered free, or pickup or even hand delivered in some cases. There was even options
to layby them. There was no need to buy from overseas.
Our shop and many others had posted these prices across the Australian forums.
And seeing the first shipments were all sold out in advance then a lot of people took up the offers.
We wait to see their impressions after they have got to use their new detector for a week or 2.

thesmithy said he just ordered the deepseeker package from the US for $2499.99 + $54 postage. Aussie dealers aren't to blame obviously, but that's quite the price difference for the exact same product sold here. I really feel for Australian business owners, the US market is a tough gig to compete with.

Check out the tassieDetecting link on the top of the page. They are selling the ATX deepseeker package for$3999 with a second detector chucked in. They are also giving away a garrett euro ace with the package.
One for coins. One for gold :)

Toysandthings said:
lol,

Like all products.

If a coil stuffs up in normal use then it would be covered under warranty of course,

I use my infinium without a coil cover, I used my Goldbug DP without a coil cover,
actually all but my Cscope 4pi I used without coil covers n never damaged my coil

just a straight out yes or no would have done,
so i'm going to take that answer as no there not covered if used with no skid plate as you will say they must have been abused because you have never damaged one.

having common sense is not a guarantee of warranty.

edit....and common sense would say they will not be covered by warranty as no other coil brands are covered if used without a skid plate
regards trashy

Toysandthings said:
lol,

Like all products.

The question is mute! Anyone who detects more than the occasional weekend would know skid plates are an essential bit of gear that get worn regularly. Most prospectors I know go through 3-5 per year including myself. Telling people they don't need skid plates is just plain irresponsible. I would recommend getting out and doing some detecting before you start handing out advice like this. This looks distinctly like salesman talk by someone who knows very little about detectors.

DD

Yes trashy and DD, it is mute, we all know the answer.

If your expecting to do lots of detecting then get a coil cover.
Tho they will be provided with the ATX shortly.

It couldnt be guaranteed to get warranty on something
that you brake or damage beyond being able to work.

No shop could say yes to that.

Its not up to us, the warrantable item gets taken in
for evaluating. Just saying not fighting.
In all fairness if your detector(or anything really) developed a fault and
it was seen to not be because of customer damage
then you would be covered whilst under warranty.

But we do see it all the time in retail over the last 12 years
and we advise of the expected result and most knew the answer
but want to give it a try anyways. We dont stop them.

As future ATX deliveries will come with coil covers.
And when the coil covers become available in late december
we do look after our customers, they get sent to them.

The issue does become mute. Maybe Garrett was expecting
this sort of discussion?

This is really quite difficult to do on the forums keeping up with the QnA
and pricing discussions. We do the best we can.
We only found out about the coil cover supply on Monday night.

As to pricing, yes, Australian shops are figuring out ways to make the
prices more reasonable, give them time.
Many of the shops had the detector at a competitive price to US prices.
Remember GST plays a big part in it. Or do we drop GST for retail shops
that would be nice, give us a more even playing field. I am sure GST
acts more like a 15% increase then the official 10% but we'll never
know. Well actually I am sure of it but try getting the gov or ato
to admit to that nor will they ever get rid of it.
Then get rid of negative gearing perhaps to stop inflated commercial
realestate and rents. Stop foreign ownership of commercial n residential property too.

Had my 2cents on that political side of things..:)

Cheers.
Lee.
ps. Most shops will happily match any official Australian competitors offers.
And yes I am only a odd Sunday detectorist.
Havent figured out how to run our physical shop and be out detecting at the same time.

Well said Lee, I think that's a more than reasonable explanation of the matter.

I thought that if the total value of the imported goods was over the value of $1000.00 AUD including freight that it would have a GST surcharge applied to the goods,when it arrives through customs?

Nugget said:
Well said Lee, I think that's a more than reasonable explanation of the matter.

g'day mate
any chance of explaining it to me as it seems everyone one else knows the answer but me?
the best I could get from that answer is,
lee will not commit to the warranty of the coils used in a normal manner without the skid plate, he will leave it to garret to decide.

it's funny how you can ask any dealer that's been in this game for years a question and get a straight answer, but ask one that been in it for five minutes and they will either get defencive or give you an answer like "the question is mute cause every one knows the answer"

it is a very simple question, are the coils covered by warranty if used in a normal manner without the skid plate? yes or no

the reason I would like to know is the cost of replacing a garret dd coil is more than the entire profit dealers make on the sale of a complete atx, so if garret say no warranty are the dealers here that are bound to Australian warranty laws willing to give up there entire profit on that machine and then put there hand in there own pocket to make up the difference, I don't think so.

you have to remember that garret are in the us therefore they are bound to us warranty laws, not aussie laws like the dealers here are.

anyway that's my rant over, the answer I came up with is toysandthings won't get any of my money because they can't even answer a simple yes/no question.
regards trashy

Lee is quite clearly trying to answer your questions, If you don't understand the answer then by all means ask for clarification.

What I took from Lee's reply is that warranty WILL be provided, providing miss use isn't a factor. It's no difference to buying a pair of (none waterproof) joggers, if they figure out you've been wearing them down in the creek submersing them under water, then they're not going to provide warranty when the soles fall off. As Lee said, it's ultimately up to Garrett as to whether or not warranty will be provided.

Personally I think you're being a little harsh towards one Dealer who is quite willing to answer your questions.

Nugget said:
Lee is quite clearly trying to answer your questions, If you don't understand the answer then by all means ask for clarification.

What I took from Lee's reply is that warranty WILL be provided, providing miss use isn't a factor. It's no difference to buying a pair of (none waterproof) joggers, if they figure out you've been wearing them down in the creek submersing them under water, then they're not going to provide warranty when the soles fall off. As Lee said, it's ultimately up to Garrett as to whether or not warranty will be provided.

Personally I think you're being a little harsh towards one Dealer who is quite willing to answer your questions.

cheers for your reply mat,
It may seem harsh, but I felt like I was getting the politicion answer. at no time did he say they WILL be covered if used without a skid plate.

but if that's what he was trying to say then that's great as no other coil makers will warranty a coil used without a skid plate even when used normally and not abused.

good on you lee, if that's what you are willing to do. it gives you one up on nuggetfinder, coiltek, and commander.
regards trashy

I think you have to remember Lee is just the dealer and not the manufacturer ;)

True but as Lee already said, coils may be sent away to Garrett for inspection. This was the exact case when I ran my own IT business. I didn't call the shots on warranty, the manufacturer did. I'm sure Lee will do his best to help you in this case.

Garrett are a very reputable company, and i would expect them to warrant their coils for short term use without a coil cover if they are prepared to supply the machine and take your money early.

I doubt they would have supplied the detector early if this wasn't the case....We're only talking a few weeks here guys. Imagine the bad publicity they would receive in this country if they expected to supply detectors to the public, and then expect them to wait a month before using them.

That sort of publicity would have world wide ramification, and Garrett are not in the game to shoot themselves in the foot.

Cheers Wal :)

Hi Everyone,
Just received my ATX.
6 weeks of waiting,bought from WA.
The good:
Simple and fast set up,
No wires,batteries,cables,etc
Compact and easy to use.

The Bad:
No Australian power adapter in the kit,
Coil adjusting screw does nothing,coil won't stay parallel with the ground,very cheap set up
For a 3000$ machine,
Have no clue how to attach the harness-not a word in a pamphlet,
And it is Heavy.If you left that harness at home,go back and get it.You won't last 30 minutes without it.
Regards,
Alex from Melbourne

Isn't is illegal to sell imported electrical items in Australia without proper Australian plugs with suitable voltages/htz???? :rolleyes:

Goldpick said:
Isn't is illegal to sell imported electrical items in Australia without proper Australian plugs with suitable voltages/htz???? :rolleyes:
So far apart from performance I got very little positive feed back about ATX and Garrett Australia all together.

Machine has a lot of minor headaches on its mechanical side.
Coil adjusting screw snaps if over tightened-made of plastic,
Battery caps o-rings swell up and can no longer be inserted,
Small particals get wedged where main shaft mounts and hard to get them out,
And strap is in contact with that locking thingy that locks shaft and stops it from twisting which results in spring damage.

Coil was shipped in original box and detector was stuffed in AT Gold box.At first I thought they sent me wrong machine.
And 10$ adapter fixed US adapter problem.
I am interested in purchasing 20 inch Deep Seeker coil and boy is that another headache.Starting with US Garret who would not bother replying and Garrett Australia 3 months were saying same thing "we don't know when they coming".

One good thing.It does find things and deep.

Conclusion.With this type of Customer no service there will be no Garrett for me after this one.
I hope Warren from Queensland- Garrett You Tube guy, reads this review.

Regards,

Latest posts