Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SinHof said:
High Nightjar,
Great looking pick you made; I make my own picks and other prospecting tools also, I was just interested in how you managed to fold the edges of the pick so neatly given the thickness of the plough disc being some 6 or 7 mm of hardened steel?
Cheers, SinHof.

Plough disc are made from high grade steel, not hardened steel and in this instance the use of oxy/acetylene torch to heat then bend the edges in a vice.
**Do NOT cool under running water.**
The extra tip layer is only welded along the length, do not weld across or it will probably snap off.

Cheers

Wolfy said:
That one nightjar is hanging off his harness on the chair looks ideal. Better than mine. His looks like its seen more gold than mine too so its trained.

hhahahahah Wolfy have scratched a couple out with it.
Maybe it is where we go in WA, 99.9% of the gold does not require you to lug a huge pick around with you all day?

Cheers

BigWave said:
Hi PB, just never seen one with the inside edge ground. Would hurt scraping Rock, gravel and the fines from your did. Otherwise, great work.

Sorry im not following :8

What would it hurt?

I did it as I thought it would be handy to cut through roots...

cecc said:
What handle you gonna use potbelly?

I had a new hardwood handle from a hoe in the shed so I'll cut a piece off that... Probably 500 long and diameter is about 40mm

Ill put it together tomorrow and put a pic up.

I can't believe I hadn't made one sooner!! Lol :p

Nightjar wrote;
Plough disc are made from high grade steel, not hardened steel and in this instance the use of oxy/acetylene torch to heat then bend the edges in a vice.
**Do NOT cool under running water.**
The extra tip layer is only welded along the length, do not weld across or it will probably snap off.
Cheers
Thanks for the information Nightjar; you learn something new from time to time, I was always of the beleife that plough disks were hardened and tempered.
Cheers, SinHof.

Potbelly11 said:
BigWave said:
Hi PB, just never seen one with the inside edge ground. Would hurt scraping Rock, gravel and the fines from your did. Otherwise, great work.

What would it hurt?

I just meant that on scraping dirt towards you out of a hole that it may tend to ride up over gravels rather than bite in. I could be totally off planet here. Once again - nice workmanship.

BigWave said:
Potbelly11 said:
BigWave said:

What would it hurt?

I just meant that on scraping dirt towards you out of a hole that it may tend to ride up over gravels rather than bite in. I could be totally off planet here. Once again - nice workmanship.

Ahhhh roger! I get what you mean.. I'll make another and grind the top side :)

Would be interesting to try though, as when digging and it hits dirt it could tend to pull away from you, pushing dirt forward (towards you). Maybe make 2 and see what works best? Or make 3 (one for me :cool:)

BigWave said:
Would be interesting to try though, as when digging and it hits dirt it could tend to pull away from you, pushing dirt forward (towards you). Maybe make 2 and see what works best? Or make 3 (one for me :cool:)

I'll make it whatever way you want if you pay :p

I do like home craftsman made gear, and think it may be a dying art form with our youth. I'll trade you one for my time machine. Never quite perfected it and it blows a little blue smoke, but I'm sure someone with your skills could get the puppy working. Then go back in time and grind the other side of your pick head saving some dollars. Oh oh, then I wouldn't have posted you, we wouldn't have traded and you'd be stuck back in time without time machine and me without a 4th pick. Damn tricky this quantum mechanics. Will need to add a quantum dialator. Deal'soff :(

Wolfy said:
You worked out a price potbelly?

With the work I put in and being a one off I would like to see $70 for one with a handle fitted... But I guess they are only worth what someone is willing to pay! :/

To be honest though before I go taking anyone's money I'd like to give one a good work out, to make sure that the materials I have used are going to last...

If I can get good results from it I will look at making a bulk lot and the price would be better.

1462605510_image.jpg

1462605586_image.jpg

1462605674_image.jpg

1462605713_image.jpg

Took a mate with me last week, he used my tdi, and I let use my walco pick, as I carry a small hand mattock from bunnings.
Heard some serious banging and found him cracking huge pieces of quartz with it ....just because, no signal from it!
He wont be using it again.....

Latest posts