Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Pegleg a bit different, when I bought it it didn't have a handle and they only charged me $5 for the pick head, been making handles and trying to find some good hard wood. Had to grind the end down a bit, the flat end not the pick end.

Ok thanks dam it.

thedigger said:
I have just made 2 picks from plough dics and truck springs,and a fibre glass handle from maddock.I like fibre glass handles takes the jar out of digging,and is much lighter than wood,and has a rubber grip.
I lost my last pick some where,which had a yellow fibre glass handle.

http://i.imgur.com/aXRX3vzl.jpg

Regards Frank

Niceeee want one!

Hi all up for a new pick was up at ophir during the week took the kids panning and long story short between the screaming cause of the leaches and crying over the thunder and them wanting nothing to do with it and to get home and packing up in a hurry left my pick and spade there so in the market for a newie what are good ones on the market and where to buy them tia. cheers ivo :8

Hey Jaros, thanks! That's my 2 year old son, and we're expecting another in June, doesn't leave much time for starting this new hobby of mine lol.

Ivo said:
screaming cause of the leaches and crying over the thunder and them wanting nothing to do with it
Funny hey mass panic. At Tuena last month kids were playing up and boom! the lighting struck within 500m guesstimate and shortly pissing down raining. Kids shut up and the river sluice washed out by the fast river rise. :D Welcome to nature, a great experience for all.
Jon

Wally69 said:
You need an IVO-Mk3, the previous models were a work of art. :D
1458300029_2016-03-18_22.18.25.png
there ya go wally mk3 lol

Tathradj said:
You missed the "Mitre-10 self assemble yellow handled pick of the year" for the best price of $25.95.
I got one and does me well. LOL
Got a picture Tath?

So I'm looking at making a new detecting pick and figured while I'm at it I may as well make up a few extra to sell...

I like the look of the ones on eBay made from Spring steel (leaf Spring or plough disc) I don't have either but I have access to 4mm hardox plate. This is what is used as wear plate on dozers etc...

Just looking for some feedback on what size heads work best for people and what shape. I would personally like a timber handle but is a steel handle ok?

Thanks for any advice/help...
:D
PB

Wish i knew that before i just bought one. The one i got is a good head size but weighty to carry, and the handle a tad short. You need to try to find a nice balance in the tool that is light enough to carry for a day then you will have a winner.

So it has a steel handle?
Do you know the weight??

I would sell them cheap anyway, hopefully make a few extra bucks the minister for war and finance doesn't need to know about that way I can buy more prospecting toys :p

Latest posts