Pelican pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

I've been keen to get a pick for my detecting and fossicking. I mainly go for relics and gems but may also go looking for gold one day.

When relic hunting I usually make do with a hori garden knife that cuts nice plugs, but when I go further out away from civilisation, I'm considering a pick for speedier recovery and easier breaking of hard packed earth.

For the gem fossicking I usually make do with a shovel, and I have a small hand pick, but again, a decent sized pick would open up more options and be less strenuous.

I have some Bunnings vouchers, and I understand cyclone to be a good reliable brand. I was looking at their Pelican pick, due to its interesting shape and having heard some people recommend them.

So my question is, are there any big advantages/disadvantages to the cyclone Pelican pick? Should I be looking at one of their more traditionally shaped picks instead?

Same here as Tathradj, I love my Bluejeansronnie pick, and it makes easy work of some pretty impressive craters :Y:

Tathradj said:
May I recommend you get in touch with
Bluejeansronald on here.

He hand makes a range of picks that are
the bee's knee's.

And provids a quality service.
I have one myself and it is fantastic.
cuts hard ground like buttter if you want it to.

I was aware that there are hand made options out there. And one day I would be inclined towards one. However the reason I was looking at Bunnings offering is because of money. Usually the hand made options are a bit pricier (for good reason I will add) and seeing as I wouldn't be using it super frequently I didn't want to invest too much at this stage.

Also, and probably more importantly, I have the Bunnings vouchers that I don't want to go to waste. And there's not a lot of other stuff I'm interested in buying from them. The only reason I'm even considering buying a pick from them even with vouchers is that cyclone has a good reputation and are at least to some extent Aus owned and made.

Having said all that, if I get some feedback to suggest the cyclone offerings will be significantly limited in use compared to a hand made option, I'll look for something else to buy at Bunnings and consider other options for picks at a later date.

Tried the pelican pick on a few occasions and found them very awkward to use,especially trying to scrape a flat area with a curved surface.
With your standard pick you can even use the side to flatten/scrape clean an area.
My pick has a lengthy handle which makes it easier on the back,I grimace when i see a pick with a little stem.

Actually nevermind, I found what I assume is Ron's eBay with the picks he offers. They're far more affordable than I expected and free shipping too. Usually anything with a longer handle in these kind of tools costs an arm and a leg, but even the little ripper has a 600mm handle which, when I measured it is probably long enough without getting awkward.

I think I'll have to go figure out something else to buy from Bunnings.

greyhound said:
Tried the pelican pick on a few occasions and found them very awkward to use,especially trying to scrape a flat area with a curved surface.
With your standard pick you can even use the side to flatten/scrape clean an area.
My pick has a lengthy handle which makes it easier on the back,I grimace when i see a pick with a little stem.

Thanks for the heads up, you've further reinforced my new decision to eventually buy a handmade and more traditionally shaped pick.

How long roughly do you feel is good for a handle considering I'd likely be walking around with it a fair bit when detecting?

For relics .... and budget, try a $10 Bunnings shovel and cut it down and add a belt clip. I have a small hart branded pick but the shovel and knife are my go-to tools for relics. Spend the rest on a decent belt and nail pouch for your finds.

For gold, I would invest in a triangular custom made pick as they are tougher than the pelican pick. Pelican pick for gem fossicking in gravels = yes.

1592443694_bdc34cd3-af65-460e-b270-733beb9ff444.jpg

I love my Pelican Pick. I have had it for over 30 years. It is a unique shape i.e. the name, so it looks like the bottom part of the peak i.e. the food collecting part. You can't beat it for scraping the bottom of a creak bed or behind a rock. However, I use mine in water not dry beds.
I thought Baz might be interested in making them so I sent him some photos. I think mine is made from a plough blade, strong as.
Cheers
Mackka

Wally69 said:
For relics .... and budget, try a $10 Bunnings shovel and cut it down and add a belt clip. I have a small hart branded pick but the shovel and knife are my go-to tools for relics. Spend the rest on a decent belt and nail pouch for your finds.

For gold, I would invest in a triangular custom made pick as they are tougher than the pelican pick. Pelican pick for gem fossicking in gravels = yes.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3694_bdc34cd3-af65-460e-b270-733beb9ff444.jpg

Those small spades work far better than they ever should considering thier cost! I never bother with a belt clip with any of my shovels, just carry them over my shoulder, but that may not be practical for you guys...

Funnily enough I bought a small Hart pick also "just in case" but then "rediscovered" my old 58 pattern entrenching pick which is actually a far better item albeit bigger than the Hart....

Latest posts