Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been looking at getting a better pick than the cut-down-shaft-Cyclone-garden-hoe I've been using.

Was looking at the Walco & CC Picks stuff but hard to get an idea of how good it is from online pictures. Prices seem to range between $50-$200 plus shipping. I want one I can use in the goldfields that is suited to a man of tall thin stature with "Montgomery Burns" arms :p

Whatya all recommend?

John

I use a Garrett Retriever and find it to be quite sturdy and lightweight, the only thing is the handle might be a little short for a tall fella like yourself. It also features a strong magnet on the end to help clear junk metal, this comes in handy at times.

1625600_garrett_retriever.jpg

Cheers,
Nugget

Depends a bit on the detector your planning to swing John. If it's for your ML Eureka Gold then one of smaller picks will certainly suffice. Your max target depth will usually be no more than 20cm. If your planning to use a ML PI then a larger pick is almost a must as the holes are mainly deeper and usually down to bedrock or hard pipe clay. If you dig 50 holes in a day with a small pick you certainly won't need to go to the "Gym" the next day.

I run a GPX and use one of the medium CC picks. I've cut 100mm off the handle for easier hip mounting and find it quite satisfactory.Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks for the great advice Wal. Yes, it's for the Eureka Gold. Nice to hear that it's range is about 20cm, that's not something I could find out when I was researching a detector.

No kidding on the good exercise on digging holes! After my first day out I could hardly walk for 3 days :eek:

Great photos of the weekend by the way. Hopefully I can come up from down south for the next one.

John

CC pick for sure John .. Light, very well balanced and very tough quality in material and construction .. Have a look at the 'Prospector' model .. Just in case you get a screamer at half a metre! .. As Wal says above, you can always cut the handle down a bit to get it right for you .. My Old Mate Kemjak uses/has a CC and having given it a go, I'll invest in one of these when the old Walco dies .. Try and get into a retail outlet and have a look and a feel first .. Good Luck!

Thanks for all you advice guys. Decided to get the CC Picks - Ezy Dig - Large (750mm handle)

1367287029_snap1.jpg

Just placed an order with Brad at Aussie Detecting. Nice bloke, great service! :D

John

You won't be disappointed John, and you'll be surprised just how quick you can open a hole with them. Brad will certainly look after you and won't give give you any crap....Cheers Wal. :)

purchased one of fleabay for 80 including delivery, very happy with it.

$(KGrHqRHJEUFBgLECLkJBQlcdM4GmQ~~60_3.JPG

lol, Mitch that is a picture of fleabay, my is indeed worn a bit. I think the guy makes them and lives in Bathurst :)

I intend to buy one and was wondering about the different lengths. Any recommendations due to experience?
I am something like 6.2 / 6.3 feet tall if that makes any difference. I was going for the 750mm pick, I just took a measurement tape and tried the different lengths like this but it is not really a good indicator :p

Cheers

Hi Salla
I know a little bit about cc picks.
I designed the Easy Dig pick with Craig .
Craig Weeks is the owner and a very good friend of mine. My opinion is contact Craig direct, go for the 900 handle, your a tall bloke. You can cut the handle down to suit your method At a later stage.
When I say I designed them, I do not take any credit away from Craig. He has been the most innovative manufacturer of prospecting picks in the southern hemisphere. He was with me every step through the R&D of the easy dig pick.
In my mind there is no better. I am not involved in the manufacturing process of them anymore. Craig is the driving force behind that.
I welded some structural steel up in his house last Sat.
I know there is not much to a pick. Until you have prospected for a few years and had something to compare pick against pick.
His picks are light weight and bullet proof.
Here is Craig's number 0416 217 189
Tell him Ryan recommended you.

It depends how tall you are, i am 5'10 i use the 750mm fine, i chose the 750mm because of weight i didn't want to carry the extra weight around all day, the 750mm drops a few 100grams of the pick and still has the length so your not breaking your back.

I am 6 foot tall do not go any less than the 750mm pick since you are taller than me ,I have a 750mm pick and find it just right unless I am digging deep holes in which the slightly longer one would help,
if you go too short in pick handle length it makes it a lot harder to dig holes and puts more strain on the body,
A mate had a 600mm handle and you do notice the difference that an extra 150mm makes

Thx guys

That helped a lot, some great advice. I will definitely go for the 900mm pick!

I'm considering a new pick but have't a clue which one as the all have rave reports and the cost varies wildly.
If you have a good one why is it good. Thanks

I use a variety of CC picks. Australian made. Never let me down. Welded, hardwood handle and very well balanced. They come in many shapes and sizes, all depends what you want to do. I generally carry the CC Ezi pick for general day to day prospecting - about 2 1/2 kg and carry it across my shoulder as I have found it evens out the weight of the detector and is further away from the bigger coils. My only piece of advice is buy one with a wooden handle as the metal handle picks tend to get very hot in summer.

If you're just starting out try a little garden pick/mattock , they've got some weight in 'em which helps do the job with little effort when you're hacking into hard ground. I'm still using mine 5 years on and here is a pic when it was shiny new :D

1384641545_picture_9.png

casper

Latest posts