Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood, which i wanted. I will measure tomorrow for you. Anyway it is prolly perfect for many ppl, i maybe just fussy so dont take too much notice of me lol

Wooden handle, better for hot & cold weather & less vibration.
I have 2 triangle shaped picks, both have a 2 or 3 mill tip. large blade is 400*180mm with 850 handle, weight no idea. small is 200*90mm with 600 handle, it feels a bit heavier than a lump hammer. Both are good in different situations. normally use the larger due to its inertia but sometimes it won't fit in the space. Both have a steel spigot which secures the handle.
also have a gem pick but find it gets comparatively little use, mostly tent pegs etc
hope you do well

small pick 1.4 kg, can't put the other on scales. note flare on large pick.
Magnets have a look at bangood.
1462400397_20160505_0811391.jpg

1462400447_20160505_0811491.jpg

Each to their own, however have said it many times before. Why lug around a great lump of wood and steel on your shoulder all day when the majority of the gold is within the first 100mm or so? If you get a deep one grab the big artillery out of your vehicle. Apart from that you can't brush the ever present flies away that persist from daylight to dark.
Have been carrying my old pick on my chest since the release of SD's. **And no I don't take the chair with me. :) **
Both picks now have super magnets araldited into the ends of the handles.
(You will regret if you fit steel handles.)

When my little lady got the gold fever I made this pick for her, which she also carries on her harness.

High Nightjar,
Great looking pick you made; I make my own picks and other prospecting tools also, I was just interested in how you managed to fold the edges of the pick so neatly given the thickness of the plough disc being some 6 or 7 mm of hardened steel?
Cheers, SinHof.

Awesome! Some great tips there!! I'll knock a couple up and put some pics on. Thanks heaps guys I really appreciate it :D

Ok the head of mine is 340 long (from pointy bit to blunt bit) and 100mm wide at tge blunt end, maybe better to cut to 300-320 long i guess.

My handle is 400 which is not long enough for the heavy head, maybe ok with a lighter head but i think 500 would be a better balance. Needs a hole and leather wrist strap in the end but i will do that.

Look forward to seeing yours, reserve one for me and i might buy one and sell this one.

That one nightjar is hanging off his harness on the chair looks ideal. Better than mine. His looks like its seen more gold than mine too so its trained.

potbelly where are you from if you dont mind me asking, just i have a heap of leaf springs sitting around that may be wide enough for your side project if you were keen, but i will double check for you first if you like

jamie said:
potbelly where are you from if you dont mind me asking, just i have a heap of leaf springs sitting around that may be wide enough for your side project if you were keen, but i will double check for you first if you like

I'm at woodend mate, if leaf springs are the go in most people's opinion I will definately grab the :)

Is the curve shape really a must or could it be a flat end?

I've just never used one enough to make the call...

Thanks

If anyone wants one made just sing out! I'll make a couple of variations and post in the for sale section... If you have a specific size/shape in mind let me know i should be able to make to order...

Thanks for the kind words!

Might add that im qualified boilermaker with 10+ years experience. you will get quality!! :D

Latest posts