Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bhogg said:
Hi RR
Looks good though! I'm also a shocker at making up my mind on things I'm looking at buying as i end up looking at so many reviews and the cons n pro then the price lol oh well can't say were not well informed on what were looking at just over think things sometimes. I'm also looking for a nice pick but might just wait a little longer to see what you get n what your thoughts are on it lol.
Let us know what you end up going for.

Cheers

Well I am going to try and get that one because it is the Aussie Standard but the flat sides helps when you are Raking out the dirt, I have smaller hand picks but the cutting blade is only 2 inches wide where this one is about 4 inches wide, Don't bother with anything else because for prospecting these are the best, It is the Blade shape that is important, A Spade won't work in that Hard packed Ground and A Mattock is just too big and heavy, With the Walco Picks you can Scrape Dirt out with the Whole Length of the Blade which speeds up recovery,

Tools for in the Parks etc are a different matter, I got quite A few of them including a few gardening hand tools,

TheSilentBugler said:
The design is good for scraping for nuggets but has nothing on an old fashioned mattock for real digging. Too light.

Yeah, I got Small Picks and Trenching tools, I just need A Good Aussie Pick, although I am AWOL I still like to buy my things from Home, It drives me Nuts with the Junk they try to Sell Me.

I made a light version of one of those from a $12 trenching shovel from Bunnings

1437693030_shovel.jpg

TheSilentBugler said:
Maybe talk to the manufacturer about shipping without handle, might be a better deal.

I am happy to Pay for it, I spent a small fortune on every things else so its all good

nucopia said:
SteelPat said:
I made a light version of one of those from a $12 trenching shovel from Bunnings

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4467/1437693030_shovel.jpg

Looks great I might try that. Whats the original look like so whenI go to bunnings I know what to look for ?

It looks like this:

1437726049_gtv5218.jpg

All the steel was cut from the shovel section. The pick end is actually 2 layers of the steel (for strength) welded along the edges. I should possibly have welded a gusset on the pick side as its a little bit springy when you are trying to lever out some really hard ground.

What I like about it is that its not too heavy - especially when you are up and down gullys all day around Ballarat.

This is sort of the idea of how I cut the sections out of shovel end:
1437726709_gtv5218_temp.jpg

Wife is complaining pick( large walco ) is too heavy...any recomendations..she carries the pick..cheers

Hi Baldy I carry CC pick it is for female bit of a odd looking shape good to swing I don't struggle doing hills gully's or climbing around and great when digging I keep it pretty sharpened.

Google CC Picks you will know the one Im talking about as soon as you see it.

Cheers Margaret

The small CC Pick is easy to carry & cheap, has a steel handle not wood. Great for smaller holes, or there is the version with a wider winged type end on it for dragging dirt out of hole easier but it costs a bit more.

Thanks guys and girls..Yes I like the look of that cc pick...Faith model .. 600 mil handle and only weighs 500 Gm...looks ideal..don't think I can get one in Adelaide..and I think we may head up to Tibooburra next week if the weather looks Ok..If I can't buy one I might have a go at making one can't be too hard..might be a place in the Hill to get one..?

Hi baldy I bought mine directly from the fellow who makes them. I rang his mobile number from his site I live in QLD and had it in a few days. Im sure his area code is 03 closer to you I also bought the Faith.
Cheers

Latest posts