Online, Email Scams, Fake callers/Phone scams and other scam information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually do owe the tax department some money that I am refusing to pay. ( A very small amount on principal)

I had been receiving the calls saying that I owe the ATO money ( I assume to be scam calls )but when they ask for me to confirm my name and tax file number I have just been telling them that I dont give those details out over the phone so go away and hang up

A few weeks ago I received a letter from the ATO ( the real ATO) saying that as they are not at this stage pursuing the debt any further BUT have not forgotten about it.

So I dont know whether that calls were a scam or real. :eek: :eek: :D

The letter was genuine. It had all the information in it. That is , tfn , what the debt is , how much and why they arnt going to chase it until I actually earn an income if ever again. MYGOV site also confirms the letter.

The scammers may have just got lucky but as my mobile number is not in my name, I think have they have hacked the ATO.

So be very aware of these scams

Bob

Last month I had the calls almost every other day for a number of weeks in a row however the callers never could tell me the name of the person they're inquiring after so I'd politely hang up on them. Anyways, I prepared myself for the next inevitable call - I kept my survival whistle handy (its a beauty with a very shrill note) and eventually got an opportunity and letting the scammer finish his spiel I let him have my reply.

No more calls since :D :lol:

PS: one time i said to one caller that i knew what he was about and that was that he was out to steal my money, with that he lept into a tirade of american English expletives that would make a death row mass murderer blush - I'm pretty sure he wasn't calling from the ATO :lol:

Hey guys thought I add my crusty 2 cents worth in here as I deal with the ATO daily being a tax accountant.

The ATO don't call taxpayers as the ATO has contracted this and other services out .

This has become a major issue between tax accountants and the ATO , as the protection of client information is eroded by contracting out and even offshoring .

When someone from the "ATO" rings, always ask for the employee number , take there name down and let them know that the conversation is being recorded. Never confirm your name, tax file number and address . They will hang up at this point and not ring again as you have wasted a good 15 minutes of there time .

Never answer emails from the ATO. Guaranteed scam .

Balmain bob don't ignore letters from the ATO as they do have the power to take debt owing from your bank account . The ATO will do this by warning you of there intention to do this first by mail. This gives you time to change banks or bank accounts before your bank sends in the funds .

Kind regards

Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam while out shopping. Simply dropping into Coles supermarket for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:-
Two seriously good-looking voluptuous 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot. They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, Aldi.
You agree and they both get in the back seat. On the way, they start undressing, until both are completely naked. Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately, and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!

I had my wallet stolen on November 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th and 29th. On December 1st, 4th, 6th, 10th and 13th and twice yesterday.

So please warn all the older men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.
The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.
P.S. Aldi have cheap wallets on sale for $15.99 each but Myer wallets are $21.75 and look better

Balmain Bob said:
Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam while out shopping. Simply dropping into Coles supermarket for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:-
Two seriously good-looking voluptuous 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot. They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, Aldi.
You agree and they both get in the back seat. On the way, they start undressing, until both are completely naked. Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately, and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!

I had my wallet stolen on November 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th and 29th. On December 1st, 4th, 6th, 10th and 13th and twice yesterday.

So please warn all the older men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.
The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.
P.S. Aldi have cheap wallets on sale for $15.99 each but Myer wallets are $21.75 and look better
Dam...i wish that would happen to me...i dont cary a wallet :eek: haha..i didnt read the last bit.

Hi guys,

I put a wanted ad up on Gumtree for a metal detector last month. Had someone text message me (as phone number was on the ad).

He said had a Minelab Etrac for sale for $600, he sent me pictures and was very convincing. Said he was based in SA but could post it, he provided his bank details but lucky before I paid for it I Googled his number and someone had reported it as a scam, checked his BSB which was based in Sydney then also found the pictures he had sent me on another Gumtree ad.

Tried to ring the number a few times but never answered. Tried to report it to the police but they weren't interested and directed me to ACORN (crime reporting site). Told Gumtree and Commonwealth Bank who are/were looking into it but never heard back.

Anyway, moral of the story is if it's too good to be true do your research because it probably is!

Only buy local on Gumtree and never have them visit your house.

What I don't like about gumtree is no feedback system like Ebay uses.

Latest posts