Online, Email Scams, Fake callers/Phone scams and other scam information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
yesterday a bloke showed up at my house he had broken leg offering to do our drive way with tar said he was doing job around the corner and could do our drive way cheap I told him to piss off he started to tell me it is not scam I asked him who broke his leg he got angry I told him if he comes back hassling my wife again I will break his other leg seems this scam has not gone away :)

Mental not, don't try to scam richo966.... lol
Good work richo966, beware of those bloody scammers, they will try anything!

SF

A current affair has had a few programs with this sort of thing going on.
They seem to try and target elderly pensioners and before the jobs complete they go as far as to drive to them to the bank and demand thousands of dollars then bugger off.
I would call the cops next time. Who knows who they have ripped off.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards Greg

I agree Greglz86, they prey on old people and single women and just rip them off. Mongrels should be flogged with a bit of 4 X 2 and left to rot. Life's hard enough for most people with these bxxxxxds. You might gather I don't like scumbags that rip others off!

It happened to a dear friend and neighbour about 6 years ago

I came home and saw some guys talking to my 90 year old mate in his driveway , intuition got the hairs rising on my neck so I walked over as the two guys were getting back in their car and driving off.

I asked who they were . You guessed it . "Cheap asphalt" , I told him it was a scam and don't give them any money . Too late . He already paid them 7 grand . Upfront .

8.(

I had their car rego but police didn't follow it up back then :(

Theres scumbags everywhere,the problem is, if they do get caught and actually do get locked up, what happens? They get free board and lodging, tv's, air con, gym etc.
A guy I know got locked up for a different type of matter, regardless he's a crim, does 3 years, comes out with white card,traffic control tickets,first aid cert,bobcat license and had done various building courses, all done at the expense of the tax payer and all things that a normal citizen has to pay for and all because he got busted. Where's the deterrent ? I do understand the idea of the courses, in that there designed to stop re-offense, but do they work?
Build a "real prison" where they have no electricty, sleep on the floor and the only items they posses are,a cup,toothbrush,toothpast, soap,the clothes they wear and 2 buckets,1 bucket to bath from and 1 for a toilet wich they can empty into a bio digester. The gas from the digester they can use to cook with and the compost used to fertilize the gardens that they grow the majority if not all of there food they consume.The only water available would come from a couple of pieces of 2 inch long pipe sticking out of a wall. how many would reoffend?
Couple of these prisons placed around the country and they can supply each other with different foods at different times of the year. Have zero tolerance for the crap they may go on with and the standard punishment for that crap would be floggings. Well that's enough no doubt you get the idea. I realise not every crime commited deserves something along these lines but some definetly do,reoffenders go in there too and that's my rant for today. :|
Will be interesting to see others thoughts on the subject.

Yeah some scumbag roofing repair guy tried that on my Nan, came back 4 times, lucky I was living with her and on the 4th occasion told him if he valued his health he would not come back. He was almost staking out the house, as soon as I'd go to the shops he'd be there hassling her.

If he came back it would not have ended well for him.

Good on ya Richo, I think you handled the situation correctly. :)

This happens a LOT back in the UK. Tarmac guy always has a strong Irish accent and drives a Ford Transit tipper covered in hi-viz orange chevrons and has more amber flashing lights than a fleet of highway maintenance trucks. The difference is that customer ends up with broken leg if you don't pay him cash as soon as his boys have finished the dodgy job!!

If any of you start getting dodgy text messages out of the blue and then mysterious charges appear on your phone bill , just notify your carrier or the TIO to get it stopped

some lowlife mongrels have been sending me texts " Browser Games " , i never requested or permitted any such rubbish , and they were billing my phone account $ 5 a day for them

a complaint to telstra and the TIO and i have been refunded . but what cheeky maggots they are .

Mate i have experienced the same thing. I got a ring tone of one of those tv adds 3 am in morning, then started getting bombarded with messages, I sent stop to all and kept recieving them, checked in with optus to see if they could stop it but once you give your number out to these adds, they hammer you with all these different numbers, i ended up being $2,300 down after one month thus changing to telstra.

charlie123 said:
Mate i have experienced the same thing. I got a ring tone of one of those tv adds 3 am in morning, then started getting bombarded with messages, I sent stop to all and kept recieving them, checked in with optus to see if they could stop it but once you give your number out to these adds, they hammer you with all these different numbers, i ended up being $2,300 down after one month thus changing to telstra.

you didnt have to pay the $ 2300 though right ?

complain and it gets taken off your bill

they cant bill you for it , as they would be accessories to crime ( fraud )

Yes I had to, they said that I accepted the message, which is what the senders say you dont get billed unless you read it and accept, but Sorry to say you are billed as soon as it hit your phone

charlie123 said:
Yes I had to, they said that I accepted the message, which is what the senders say you dont get billed unless you read it and accept, but Sorry to say you are billed as soon as it hit your phone

nope

send a complaint to the ombudsman ( TIO ) , its a scam and you do not have to pay it

i have had two attempts at rubbish like that and both of them were refunded

charlie123 said:

Oh Charlie, mate, as HeadsUp said- fight it all the way! Even when they try to con you & say bad luck, dig the heals in deeper mate.
$2300 is half a brand new GPX5000, or the worlds greatest Highbanker, OR nearly 2oz of GOLD!
Complaint to the Ombudsman mate.
I remember this happening 5-8 yrs ago when I was in Melbourne, so its nothing new. If you have not accepted anything in the beginning, its theft & fraud. If you accepted something once & they keep billing you for extra stuff, its a breach of Fair Trading aswell as possible theft & fraud. Imagine if everytime we purchased something at a shop on our credit card, the shop kept randomly billing us for for other stuff we never ordered or received- no one would put up with that........ that's is exactly what they are doing with this phone scam.
Get some wind in the sails & just fight mate!

I tried, this happened 5 year ago, never will do it again, for other people on the forum, just upload a file from reliable source

How's this for a scam - person A. downloads free ebooks , goldfield maps and other assorted data and flogs it off on CDs on ebay. Copyright law is death plus 50, so these sponges are legally covered. All that happens is some poor sucker buys what is actually free data by searching the internet. Person A. also trolls through forums like ours - gets detector settings and also flogs off the same info as 'best ever settings'. I have seen these CD ROMs (some poor fool showed me his 'great collection of data from ebay' - I pointed him to Trove - jaw dropped) and read the 'but wait - there's more crxp' - what a load of bollox.

Latest posts