Online, Email Scams, Fake callers/Phone scams and other scam information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sa_bogan said:
not to mention i dont think scammers will care calling from overseas - very common call is "are you the owner of the computer in the house?"

I agree, the do not call register doesn't apply to international callers / scammers. These guys have no morals and really don't give a sh!te about anyone but themselves.

Does the register extend to overseas callers?
Yes. The legislation applies irrespective of where the call or fax originates. For example, telemarketers operating out of South Africa must comply with Australia's Do Not Call Register in the same way as telemarketers operating out of Melbourne. In practice, however, if an overseas telemarketer is found in breach of the legislation, the ACMA will pursue the Australian company linked to that telemarketer or fax marketer.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/dncrtelem/tapfaq.cfm

these guys sell your information files to each other... it spreads like a virus.. the do not call register is a toothless tiger and will not stop them. :)

I got an email from a dude who was going to send a courier around to pick up my lease that's for sale the other day :rolleyes:
Buying it for his daughter. :rolleyes:

DD

Wolfau said:
Does the register extend to overseas callers?
Yes. The legislation applies irrespective of where the call or fax originates. For example, telemarketers operating out of South Africa must comply with Australia's Do Not Call Register in the same way as telemarketers operating out of Melbourne. In practice, however, if an overseas telemarketer is found in breach of the legislation, the ACMA will pursue the Australian company linked to that telemarketer or fax marketer.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/dncrtelem/tapfaq.cfm

What I mean is, Nigerian phone scammers have no regard for Australian legislation, and I highly doubt it has any real meaning outside of our shores.

The complete Aust Phone directory is available on DVD as a data disc.
It contains all mobile and landlines including silent numbers.
It is updated annually and is available to select Govt agencies.
It is also not uncommon for these to be copied and onsold. [ I imagine they would be worth a quid to a marketing company.]
You can also get commercially made products like = http://www.australiaondisc.com/

Mailing lists, customer lists etc are also onsold.
Everytime someone fills in a competition coupon at a servo, shopping centre etc, that info is onsold.

Diggerdude said:
I got an email from a dude who was going to send a courier around to pick up my lease that's for sale the other day :rolleyes:
Buying it for his daughter. :rolleyes:

DD

Must be sending a bloody big truck ;)

If I see an international call on the caller ID, it simply doesn't get answered. It is also amazing to see how much spam email and marketing crap you get from simply visiting or registering with websites these days.

One time I applied for a job with a certain business on reputable employment agency website, didn't get the job, but within 24hrs of being notified, I recieved marketing emails from the same business trying to sell me stuff. Whether they were genuinely trying to employ people, or whether it was a devious method of acquiring email addresses purely for marketing purpose remains to be seen. :rolleyes:

Simple way to sort the calls is to get an answering machine. Let the call come through over the speaker and if it is someone you wish to talk too - pick up the phone. If you do not get a response to "please leave a message" the you can assume it was not important. Tell your friends that you will pick up if you are at home - so that they hang on for a few seconds for this to happen. Otherwise the person calling you must not have been of importance and is wasting your time.
Ned

I got a USPS courier scam email this morning, want you to click on a link to recover the details. Never seen this one before today.

there is another one they say you have one holiday push 9 button that opens your billing to them

the Telstra scam I dealt with last week was Indians with weird accents calling my dads homeline and telling him that his internet service had been compromised and they were going to disconnect. they were then asking him that the only way to fix it was to press ctrl/windows buttons on his keyboard...thank god he has been sorta listening to me over the years and didn't do it, this went on for days everyday until I was actually there when it happened again...I only had to ask a few questions that I knew they wouldn't have the anwers for and it actually pissed them off and I got called a phuc head and told to phuc off....no calls since :lol:

GoldCheddar2005 said:
the point to make too is if someone genuinely needs telstra assistance they would seek it. not have someone tell them theyre pc is compromised

that's exactly the last thing I said...drilled em big time :lol:

Saw this on FB. I have no idea if it is true or not. Just be careful when buying online.

SCAM WARNING
There is an ad on gumtree at the moment for a Minelab excalibur II.
It is listed at $750
The seller takes the money but never sends the item, and continues to "sell" it.
It is a scam. Do not bid.
If you have bid, immediately contact your bank to attempt to reverse the transaction and contact the police.
Never pay for anything online via direct deposit.

They'll stoop to anything and they'll stop at nothing to get their hands on your money.

Latest posts