old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As off topic as its gone, I still support the argumentative side of the whole thing as I'm sure many have similar oppinions and its still important to share what safety and risks are involved thought yes, it shouldn't be as agressive as it is.. the topic has stayed on track thanks to deans posting. Its just when one of these rants go on its takes it off subject.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDHiX2NbPU[/video]

Every one is more than entitled to their opinion but slinging like that is a bit too far off topic.
I have been working on this thread to try and keep it clean.
Yes, There some good comments about safety and I have taken that on board as well.
Your apology is more than welcome.

Gold trooper said:
Gold trooper said:
Post deleted for the 3rd time.
(Admin comment above, not Gold Tropper comment)

Oh, I wondered why my Wikipedia reference was disappearing all the time.

My bad. Sorry admin :eek:

I apologise for being so blunt in regards to safety issues at the end of the day it's your own life your endangering not mine. That video of a dodgy alluvial mine is just that notice the amount of fall out around the toms and how there are columns of rock still on them? That's a indicator of pressure still on the Tom obviously not to be touched.

Caveman said:
I apologise for being so blunt in regards to safety issues at the end of the day it's your own life your endangering not mine. That video of a dodgy alluvial mine is just that notice the amount of fall out around the toms and how there are columns of rock still on them? That's a indicator of pressure still on the Tom obviously not to be touched.

Now that's great Caveman to pass on positive and constructive observation and an apology to boot.
Thank you and please continue down that path.
Cheers Steve :)

What would you do if you saw a large nugget above the Tom?
1445431447_ice_age.png

One pic will suffice thanks Parkes - Mods

Caveman said:
Walking above ground on the surface is just as dangerous like previously mentioned, in this instance. Theres no more than half a metre - 20cm of conglomerate where the collapse has happened. A depresseion is visible from above which looks just like a dip in the earth or a loaming hole, the whole area here is an unstable ridge like my video shows that spans for kilometers. The roads have tunnels everywhere under them that we all drive over everyday and these thin cielings are everywhere. To be honest, that tom is long gone and a sneeze would make it fall. I doubt its holding the roof column at all.

Consider the goldfields and similar mineralised grounds like the ocean and its forces. Dont trust it, never.

AtomRat said:
Walking above ground on the surface is just as dangerous like previously mentioned, in this instance.

Very true, the surface is just as deadly.

Look at Coober Pedy for example, large holes everywhere and tunnels that have collapsed and formed an even bigger hole. A tunnel could collapse at any time under your feet if it's weak enough.

Like in the below picture I took at Coober Pedy, there's thousands of holes like that. The whole place is a tunnel system! ;)

1445434843_1439139299_004.jpg

Yesterday I was south east of Ballarat in an area that's not commonly prospected researching a spot I suspected was an old gold field and came across a covered in shaft .
What made it more dangerous was the very heavy fuel load in this patch of forest which hasn't had a fire for many decades.
The hole was only the size of a soft ball and could only be seen from one direction and the crust or lid was only about 3 inches thick.
Always keep your eye's to the ground people unless you don't mind some new long term accommodation.
Cheers Steve

Maybe some one could start a thread on Mine Field dangers and education.
Not the explosive type but the ones we all like to hang around.
:D :D
If it is good enough I will approach the team about making it a sticky. ;)

Gday Doug,
That sounds like a plan, it good be a sticky on safety in the gold fields and parks and people can then post about the dangers of all aspects of our passtime.
ie: our wild life, fire dangers, weather dangers, stranger danger (I've had quite a few creepy encounters in the GT in the last few years)
Safety equipment and awareness for underground outings ,
And all the safety equipment and awareness for above ground activities in regard to high banking etc,
For instance be very careful when wearing waders whilst digging in water, as you bend over they can fill up and drag you under.
I'm just scratching the surface so to speak :)
Cheers Steve

Good point on the waders stoyve I forget where but I saw some one wearing them in a flooded mine. Come across a flooded shaft and that's it you're going to a watery grave.

Yep, a siily mate of mine insisted on wearing waders whilst surf fishing with me in the winter,
I warned him but he did it anyway and not half an hour into the fishing I was dragging him out of the water like a half drowned rat,.
He was only up to his knee's when a wave hit him and washed into his waders and filled him up.
He was alright but he learned a cold hard lesson.

cave man where is this cave organisation you claim to belong to I would like to write to them and ask for a meeting with you or the boss of your cave group

as for what we do we are now investing in masks for dust a lot more helmets for our whole group 2 gas detectors 3 more ropes and pulleys as well clear safety glasses walkie talkies and 2 mega phone so that when we are down the bottom of a deep shaft we can hear the other guys up top and they can hear us. as well as 4 back up head torchers and batteries

as for going under toms they are called skulls not toms and most of the time if there is waste rock hang up in a stope with bent or broken skulls/props we don't go under them but may put a ladder up next to them a distance back from the dangerous area to see further up the stope

as for other red necks copying us its there own responsively and problem/risk not ours. I've seen people use 4 wheel drive rope and they lowering them self's down deep shafts just hanging/holding onto the rope without any harness or helmets or any safety at all those are the guys you should be having a go at because they really don't know what the f..k they are doing

if you like pm me caveman- Shane and we will meet up and I can show you exactly how we do things when exploring old mines

Hi hunting the yellow the 20yo with 17 years experience exploring mines. Sounds like you have a big list of stuff to get before you can explore safely megaphone? That's hilarious anyone with any actual experience would know a two way radio will do the trick. Guessing you have never seen a gas detector either. It's people like yourself that think they know what they're doing that are the problem posting picks of unsafe actions on the Internet and defending them as safe when you don't have a clue.

Caveman said:
Hi hunting the yellow the 20yo with 17 years experience exploring mines. Sounds like you have a big list of stuff to get before you can explore safely megaphone? That's hilarious anyone with any actual experience would know a two way radio will do the trick. Guessing you have never seen a gas detector either. It's people like yourself that think they know what they're doing that are the problem posting picks of unsafe actions on the Internet and defending them as safe when you don't have a clue.
Its unknowledgable, unguided and impractical people like you who childlishly need to be told over and over again who get banned for disrupting forums. I think you've been well warned enough and never explained any of your text but throwing ridiculous posts that make no sense. Your better off telling a brick wall your worries and waiting for a reply.

I as a Moderator can see both sides of the fence here.
Both on safety and knowledge.
It is not in our favor to challenge a persons qualifications, Knowledge or actions but,
Please note,
Personal Attacks will not be tolerated.
I hate to quote the riot act but these are the rules.
If you wish to favorably comment on a particular person's activity's regardless of what they are doing, Please do.
If you resort to down right criticizing,
Do so at your peril.
This is a hard one as all party's are right.
Please do not force us to do what we have to.

You are right I would probably have more success with a brick wall at least a brick wall doesn't think it's a underground miner. unknowegable only because I have a different opinion to yours therefore must know nothing lol. Safety is often impractical doesn't mean you shouldn't be safe though does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts