old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
silver said:
Be nice if i could see all the externaly hosted photos on this thread(but I can't),.... my activity(viewing) here is a wee bit limited,... but fantastic all the same(just lamenting that little incapacity),..... keep the adventure comming, the photos(that I can see) are always both exciting and stimulating,... but I'm sure that I still have much left to enjoy(it's like a cliffhanger). :D
L I F E,...is worth living. ;)

Sure is silver,
So true :D

When we have explored shorter adits with the entrance in a direct line with the back section of the mine the gas detector has indicated clear air. However, once you start getting into deep shafts a gas detector is a must have tool.

This week we visit a conglomerate mine to the west of Ballarat. If you want a good example of an unsafe mine to keep out of then you can't go wrong with this one. The backs have fallen away and the drives have become corrupted with debris. The mine can be accessed via two shafts. The larger one has collapsed on one side allowing easy walk in access. A group of local lads took me to this location. Despite my recommendation, they can be seen exploring the mine without hard hats. I've since attempted to educate them regarding mine exploration safety , but you can only do so much with 3rd parties not under your control. Took most of my photos close to the entrance ensuring I was not exposed to any great danger.

This is a example of a unsafe mine what are you doing in it then ? And as usual not a hardhat in sight or a gas meter. The thing that gets me is you admit it's dangerous yet you still went in.

Not setting a example I would expect from a self proclaimed experienced mine explorer.

Caveman, change the channel mate. A delicate soul such as yourself is not meant for the rigors of the internet evidently. To much enrages you my friend, and makes you blind to the info written in the target of your scorn. Allow me to quote from the post and enlighten you..."A group of local lads took me to this location. Despite my recommendation, they can be seen exploring the mine without hard hats. I've since attempted to educate them regarding mine exploration safety , but you can only do so much with 3rd parties not under your control." We get it. Your unhappy about the saftey precautions or lack there of seen or rather not seen in this thread. Noted. Also noted is your aggressive approach and your statement about trying to get their page closed down. I for 1 am beginning to wonder who you are and what your beef is with these guys. I get the impression you have crossed paths and you have an axe to grind with them. If so, this is not the place for it. Peace out man. :)

Chewy said:
"A group of local lads took me to this location. Despite my recommendation, they can be seen exploring the mine without hard hats. I've since attempted to educate them regarding mine exploration safety , but you can only do so much with 3rd parties not under your control."

Some people just like to take risks, not much you can do about that.

Great photos!

Caveman said:
This is a example of a unsafe mine what are you doing in it then ? And as usual not a hardhat in sight or a gas meter. The thing that gets me is you admit it's dangerous yet you still went in.
And here we go down the road of having a dip at someone for not showing enough safety gear/products, dean has shown countless times in the past of what safety measures he (and his companions) go through to protect themselves and each other, and I'm sure in this situation dean65 "duty of care" kicked in and he went in with the lads to ensure they didn't go removing a hanging wall stope timber to take home for dad to turn up a new wooden spoon for mum to make a sponge cake!
Start with constructive advice Caveman, don't just blast into criticism and opinions of not safety gear insight!
I for one would like to see dean and his crew get some type of government grant to help record this part of our country's history, and it could go a long way in teaching other keen spirited explorers the safe way to map and record old workings, people will never stop exploring so our government should jump on the band wagon of helping them doing it the right and safe way, the government hands hundreds of thousands of dollars out for other studies and what have you, well, why not this one.
If your still not satisfied Caveman, spare a thought towards these young lads out in the bush doing some exploring instead of hanging around some street waiting to belt some unsuspecting local for their next ice hit!

Ryan27 said:
AtomRat said:
A candle still does the job if you know how to read its signals
Canaries are good also :D

Wombats are better, 3 functions in one. Everybody who goes into these old mines should take a large wombat in a cage. If the wombat starts to look pale & disoriented the air is bad. If the backs fall in blocking your exit release wombat & set to DIG. If trapped for any length of time eat wombat. ;)

Sometimes the safety gear can be your biggest killer / problem. Ropes, harnesess or helmets can tangle or simply just be in the way and its safer to not use them at times..all depends on what's going on. It is a risk.

Its why HTY and I have earplugs, safety rope attachment for emergencies :)

I personally havnt met these blokes yet but want to. I'd feel very safe with them.

What needs to be appreciated is the photos these blokes are posting to share with us by risking it, wouldn't be seen if it wasn't for them. Not many get to venture into mines and see the wonders, there's certainly no reason why these blokes can't capture that frozen history in time where everything gets dropped on the ground as the old timers abondoned it and post it online for people to appreciate.

You don't watch someone skydiving and try to stop it screaming "that's really dangerous you know mate".. duuurrrrgghh..

Cave man, As DWT stated,
Start with constructive advice Caveman, don't just blast into criticism and opinions of not safety gear insight!

Start a thread of your own about the underground buety of caves that you have protected.
We would have both sides then.

Wikipedia definition seems fitting because that's where 90% of the knowledge on this thread came from. I'm sorry for having a go at the unsafe acts on this page but sometimes people need to be told if something goes wrong you could be severely injured or worse. I personally wouldn't go under unsupported ground ever but most of you probably don't know what supported ground is.

Not much supported ground in goldfields at all no. Being underground can be safer than being above ground on the goldfields even. Prospecting / fossicking is risky full-stop. Do you know how many fossil fossickers die on cliff edge per year? A lot. Why? Because its a passion, because its money, and because they want others to see it.

"Gold fever" is a medical condition and does send people mad or crazy to do stupid things. What we doing is neither.
Name one cave system that's 100% fully supported..

Do I need to repeat again that were not 'internet' learners but taught by experienced proffessionals and some have actual underground mining experience. Your comments still have no point and like I said your going around in circles saying the same thing over, still insulting.

:rolleyes:
hmmmm
:rolleyes:

Warn an adult once that it is dangerous and after that its at there own risk . Pride will stop anyone changing a grown mans point of view.

I wasn't going to get involved but this threads barely worth viewing lately , the heading is "old mine is now mapped and recorded" nothing else its not on health and safety or poo flinging . I believe dangerous topics should have one well written explanation of the dangers etc and then get on with it. rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts