old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
caveman is actually my nick name. I work for the Australian cave protection society. Are you guys going to be the bearer of bad news to there loved ones if God forbid something bad happens?

Caveman said:
caveman is actually my nick name. I work for the Australian cave protection society. Are you guys going to be the bearer of bad news to there loved ones if God forbid something bad happens?

Well if you really are concerned...how about you offer some advice to ensure their safety is maximized.
Im sure they would listen to an experienced caver if that's what you are.
Because no matter what you say or how you say it they will continue to do what they love doing.

Insulting people and being hostile will only piss people off and get you banned.

Caveman said:
Its a risk we choose. Its great to hear your part of a protection society preserving earths features which we highly respect in all ways and understand its risks and flaws. Being a preservationist you must have been in one or two yourself and the same precautions exist while we treck through the mines and holes of the earth. Though a smile is shown for camera, in reality every click, every sense and every crack is studied, we are certainly not running up and down mines like children.

With all safety and precaution at play, will still know and encounter risks. If its been analysed as too risky / dangerous, we don't enter or continue. Our loved ones know our position constantly via contact before any ventures and know what risks we take. To me, I'm more scared of driving on a road in my car with more risks and chance of death than going into caves and mines. We also have protective gear and use forms of air checks before going into them.

I have the Brittania Creek cave system not far from my house, always fun to slide through the granite boulders there if you have ever heard of it, in VIC.

Caveman said:

It's funny Caveman that you WORK for the Australian cave protection society???
Can't seem to find it anywhere on Google search.
Well I'm making a claim that I'm the El President of the "Ballarat and district community river widening club"
I feel so important now :D

Caveman said:

Maybe he means the ASF....(Australian Speleological Federation) .....I can see how easy it is to confuse the two names......

Caveman said:
I have seen this idiot on social media boosting about long drives and adits, it's very clear to me that they are taking no precautions. I'm actually in the process of trying to close there site down before somebody gets hurt.. Think safe work safe be safe.

Caveman said:

interesting very humm cave protection society now is that on Facebook or a actual website ? please supply me more details of your organization would like to wright them a letter to let them know exactly what we are doing and how we are making it safe as possible its not like we are tunneling under a bank to rob it lol

With the current discussion on safety whilst exploring old mines I thought I'd do a bit of research on personal 4 gas detectors. I have a confined space entry ticket that I sat for as part of a previous job doing maintenance on tanks. Whilst I have entered old mines in the past without a gas detector since doing the confined space entry course I have become very aware of how easily something can go wrong. A gas detector that will monitor the upper & lower levels of O2, Carbon monoxide CO Hydrogen sulphide H2s and lower explosive levels of combustible gases. Will go a long way to keeping you in a healthy atmosphere. I am going to purchase a unit with a positive flow pump and the ability to remotely monitor the atmosphere prior to entry. Im just waiting for quotes from the below links.

http://www.altechdistributors.com.au/gas_detectors.html

http://www.honeywellanalytics.com/product-search?cat=@fhaproductlines3814#f:@fhaproductlines3814=[multi-gas%20detectors]

there are others but this is a start for anyone wanting to purchase a portable gas detector.

jethro said:
With the current discussion on safety whilst exploring old mines I thought I'd do a bit of research on personal 4 gas detectors. I have a confined space entry ticket that I sat for as part of a previous job doing maintenance on tanks. Whilst I have entered old mines in the past without a gas detector since doing the confined space entry course I have become very aware of how easily something can go wrong. A gas detector that will monitor the upper & lower levels of O2, Carbon monoxide CO Hydrogen sulphide H2s and lower explosive levels of combustible gases. Will go a long way to keeping you in a healthy atmosphere. I am going to purchase a unit with a positive flow pump and the ability to remotely monitor the atmosphere prior to entry. Im just waiting for quotes from the below links.

http://www.altechdistributors.com.au/gas_detectors.html

http://www.honeywellanalytics.com/product-search?cat=@fhaproductlines3814#f:@fhaproductlines3814=[multi-gas%20detectors]

there are others but this is a start for anyone wanting to purchase a portable gas detector.
That's the sort of information we need here Jethro, thank you very much for posting this. Safety is number 1

Im also guilty of exploring the odd adit without a gas meter. Would have never even considered exploring shaft mines without one. As far as safety goes in my opinion they are the no1 tool any mine explorer should have they are expensive but can you put a price on your life? I use and recommend dreager xam range can get second hand ones relatively cheap off eBay but you do need to get them calibrated from time to time.anything in the series from the xam2000 will do.http://www.draeger.com/sites/enus_us/Pages/Mining/Draeger-X-am-2000-cs.aspx

This is what I'm talking about a candle will not do the same job do any of you even own gas detectors half of the photos on here don't even have hardhats on

As I thought Caveman, your just another troll,
Crawl back into your pretend cave along with your pretend organization and maybe, just maybe, you might come back out and at least pretend to be a nice human.

Hi All,
Not pointing the finger at any one in particular I would like to ask to keep things civil please.
I can see valid points from both sides of the fence and there is a lot of intelligence about this subject.
Calling each other names and making threats is just not the way to go peoples.
Play safe and be nice Please.
I like to be nice. :D

Doug

Ummm ryan ? We spend weeks and weeks researching a place so we can go and dig a great big bloody hole in rocky riverbeds of past so we can take home some gravel and rock and smash it to bits or spend days out in the sun swinging a detector ... tis just a little bit wierd

5ftfossicker said:
Ummm ryan ? We spend weeks and weeks researching a place so we can go and dig a great big bloody hole in rocky riverbeds of past so we can take home some gravel and rock and smash it to bits or spend days out in the sun swinging a detector ... tis just a little bit wierd
No, not really.
I call that living ! To some on the forum, making a living.
All I was saying is that 3 post have gone up and not one had anything positive in them.
Well I guess we are a little bit weird :|

Be nice if i could see all the externaly hosted photos on this thread(but I can't),.... my activity(viewing) here is a wee bit limited,... but fantastic all the same(just lamenting that little incapacity),..... keep the adventure comming, the photos(that I can see) are always both exciting and stimulating,... but I'm sure that I still have much left to enjoy(it's like a cliffhanger). :D
L I F E,...is worth living. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts