Rocker box/cradle - fixed or sliding hopper?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm going to build another rocker box, this time bigger than my last one (had an approx. 8x8" top hopper and 9-10" wide run).

So I've started to do all the obligatory searches again, Youtube, on this site, and I've noticed that most now seem to have fixed in place top hoppers, so all the action needs to happen on the classifier screen, rather than a sliding hopper to get that slapping agitation. And well... others look like they are trying to build a rocker "sluice" - i.e. designing very open screens with large bilge pumps so that that rocking action is basically just to feed water - which it probably a thing if you live in a "no highbanker", but yes to rocker box location.

What are people's thoughts on this? I know the guys I go fossicking with finding the knock, knock, knock after about an hour to get on their nerves - usually I hear the call of "can't that thing play any other tunes?!?", but I thought the sliding hopper was part of the key design, but on second thoughts, maybe not so much.

The plan at the moment is a 12x12" hopper or bigger. I run a drilled plate with 6-7mm holes on a 1" spacing - this gives good working time vs an open classifier which just has everything falling through, but everyone seems to run open mesh classifiers.

Dan.

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_221458422.jpg
    PXL_20240419_221458422.jpg
    15.5 MB · Views: 0
One time I was mucking around and did a drawing/render of a Rockin' Rocker Box - rip the wheels off and rock!

Attachments

• Assembly 1 Rendering.jpg
    Assembly 1 Rendering.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts