My At Pro Coin finds for 2016

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are the results of hunts over the last few days.

I went to my fave place thinking that i'd probably got as much I was going to get, and while I've taken heaps from there, I came away with $5.01, a 1914 KGV Shilling and a 1910 KGV Threepence. [I was stoked with the Shilling as its the first KGV Bob I've found.]

I visited a new place a couple of days ago for the first time and while swinging was hard work, a 1942 sheaf of wheat Threepence came to light and I was pleased with that. There'll probably be more to find but it'll be hard work as its a huge area and lots of digging ahead.

The last of the finds was a couple of lumps of native copper found at an old community oval. They are still a bit grotty but have quartz imbedded in one and the other is a whole lot cleaner. That hunt also produced $5 in goldies and another grotty 1c coin.[Just rubbish really as I really go looking for the predecimals all the time.]
1467019823_20160627_173337.jpg

Hey BTW, I got an update on the 81 badge I found a few weeks ago.

While I was extremely happy to think it was a Regimental badge, [and I guess it is after all] I got a response from the Aus War Memorial that suggested that the 81st was a militia unit formed prior to the First World War operating in the 4th Military District. The 4th Military District covered South Australia and a small area of New South Wales.
1467020308_20160608_145125.jpg

Hi AR, yep given up on the electrostatic cleaner for now so I just resorted to good old Silvo.

The confirmed stats on the 81st just makes finding the badge a bit more enjoyable. Its one thing to find the badge then chuck it in the "relic" tin, never to consider it again, but to actually understand why when where who and how something existed is very rewarding. I mean its nice to think that it belonged to some guy who went off to war and maybe or perhaps didn't return, but its even nicer to think that the guy stepped up BEFORE the hostilities started, and wanted to take on "the enemy" before they even knew who that was.

I guess for all of us who "coin-shoot" "relic hunt" or just plain scratch around in a given area to see what might turn up, those special things that are unearthed, make it all worthwhile. Not all of us will find a 177oz nugget, or a 1930 penny in XF condition [reality is if its been under the ground for 100 yrs it will be less than that too] or a 1923 Half penny in similar condition, but to find relics of the past that are special makes our beloved past-time worthwhile for us.

Anyway, enough contemplation, keep swingin' and as Wal says, may your gold shine brightly in your pan.

Stoked again!
Into the 1800's again. Its interesting how, when you think you never will find a particular coin and you finally break the duck, they then seem to follow when you find your first. I ventured out today to a very public spot in Moonta and came away with a 1929 Half penny and an 1879 Britannia Penny. I am stoked. I've only broken 1900 twice, and in this spot that was only a few metres wide and long I didnt expect to find anything that old.........but you never know. Anyway when they are clean I'll post a piccie. I've dropped them into some diesel to try to clean them [Dont know how the penny will go as our soil here toasts any of the really old coins]

Its interesting how different coins fair over time. The 1929 halfpenny looks pretty good considering the length of time in the ground but the 1879 Britannia is largely toasted and I am assuming that they were dropped at the same time considering they were found together at the base of a tree in the grounds of a railway yard. Probably some guy waiting for the train to get to somewhere else all those years ago. Or maybe a guy who only got that far after leaving the pub across the road. Ofcourse we'll never know.

The coin condition will depend on the soils and drainage in your area. I am fortunate that the relatively benign and well drained sandy soils down here often leave both british and Australia pre-decimal copper/bronze coins in excellent condition. Many of the pre-decimal copper/bronze coins that I have found further north in the state often haven't fared so well, with commonwealth coinage being the worse of the lot.

I'd be happy with the condition of your 1879 penny, if anything it's just a bit worn. What was the other side like with the Victoria bust, worst than the front? :)

Hi GP, the bust on the 1879 was unrecognisable. And yes TT, its interesting to try to speculate as to the probable reason for a coin being dropped in a particular place. Ofcourse we'll never know but it jerks the thinking.

A very unproductive day today. I took MRsTD for a drive to Melrose in the southern Flinders thinking I'd get a spot of detecting in at Melrose and Murray Town. While I've done really well at MT in the past today was a complete flop. After 350K's and 6Hrs of driving I came home with 25c - yep, 1x20c 2x2c and 1x1c. Just goes to show you cant hit the jackpot everyday out, sadly.

Bit of a bummer after driving so far. If I go away detecting a decent distance from home, I generally make it an overnighter. Then it gives you more of a chance to suss out some sites, and exclude others that you haven't fared so well on. Might also be a residnent detectorist/s regualrly cleaning out the area as well, at least you had a go and had some fun in the process. :)

Another trip this morning down to Moonta for a quick swing and the unproductivity continues. Only a 1922 KGV Penny. Looks like I need to find a new spot.

Thanks GP. I actually suggested that to MrsTD [that I needed to find a new place] so the hunts one for a new spot. The good thing is that now I can go and revisit some of my childhood memories of places around the CT that used to exist that have been eroded with time. Sadly as time goes by, with extensive development, more and more of the old is overtaken by the new. Still, as I drive around many spots jog the memory so here's hopin' for more of the really good stuff.

Hi all. Went out again today to the spot that I've visited over the last few weeks at Moonta. The site is only really small but managed to pull out a very wanged up 1953 half penny. With still a bit of time up my sleeve before I needed to head for home I went back again to the spot that to date has given and given and given and found a 1944 Sheaf of Wheat Threepence. After I had moved the car to the other side of the spot I managed to break the 1800's again TWICE with a 1879 THreepence and then a 1891 Threepence. Both have different heads on them which is interesting.

So the days been a good one with a trifecta of pre-decimal Threepence and two breaking that 1800's barrier. Hope you like the piccie.
1470026907_20160801_135925.jpg

Latest posts