My At Pro Coin finds for 2016

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
Like others I thought I'd document my coin finds for the year, so here goes.

My first journey out yesterday was to the smaller of our 2 beaches at Wallaroo "Second Beach" I think its always been called. Its been a place where people have camped back in the good old days, men have net fished, families have visited and all sorts of men and women have drunk copious amounts of booze. So I thought, maybe someone has dropped a coin or two. I spent about 1 1/2hrs there and found $7.55 in one hole, some of the time was out in the water too but nothing from that. No piccies, because the coins were only decimals. Maybe a predec next time.

Gday Tassie,... lettn the cat outa the bag there mate,.... battery money is always good,.... sounding like someone may do the beach a bit already,... but there's $7.55 their neva gunna see,.. well done,.. hope you find the same only older nect time out. :D

Im going to be up around Wallaroo in a couple of weeks and only new to detecting, Interested in meeting up and Tassie Daz and having a crack at some of the areas around the place?

Hey EV, sorry I didn't see your post until today 30/3, so I missed catching up with you. Hope you found some of the Copper Coast hidden "treasure" while you were here. Maybe catch ya next time.

I did ok, picked up a few coins from the swimming pool area near the jetty, a few coins on office beach, north beach and second beach and a couple from the parks around town. Also managed a few $2 coins from in front of the beach house which was a nice touch.

Found 1 9ct gold ring on north beach (my first) and 1 stainless steel cheapie....oh and what felt like a million ring pulls.

I also got to have a run and a kick with the local football team and now that the amateur football season has started i probably wont make it up there again until August.

I DID IT ! I finally did it! I am stoked, cant believe it.
Because our area has been settled since about the 1850's, one could make a reasonable assumption that someone, somewhere had dropped a coin way back in the beginning of settlement and since getting my Garrett AT Pro, I have been trying hard to find that coin. Well today I broke the 1800's duck, and by a fairly good way.
I decided to go out this morning before my wife needed the car, so I went to probably my favourite place that place where coins had surfaced many times, but never anywhere near the 1800's. I just knew they had to be there, but where?
So this morning, armed with the trusty AT Pro, I started swinging. The usual $2 coins showed up, a grotty 5c coin, some other odds and sods, and then I pulled out a very, very worn Threepence, that is really just a .925 silver disc no markings, or writing of any description. [I knew it had to be a Threepence because of the size and the fact that as I tried to bend it, it wouldn't bend] Believe me, at that point it gave me renewed drive. So back into the hunt I went. A little while later my Pro produced another tell-tale coin sound and WOW! There was another silver coin very worn again but this time just barely recognisable after a while. I just made out a head on one side, and on the other, what appeared to be a laurel.
When I got home, after checking on the net and finding the coin that matched what I had, and under lights and magnified, there it was the laurel and the year, 1874.

That's almost as good as it gets! Well, a sov would be better but hey, its right up there.
And unlike the reference to Second Beach a few weeks ago, this spot will stay very confidential.

1460004505_dsc08255.jpg

1460004505_dsc08256.jpg

1460004505_dsc08257.jpg

Oh, by the way, the settings for these finds where as follows: In Pro Coins mode, flat out sensitivity, Iron 30, and the tiny 4" Garrett coil.

Thanks RJ, Its been a lonnngggggg time coming, but I just knew they had to out there, it was just a matter of where.

Well done Tassie, great to get amongst the old stuff at last, especially in your local area. How deep were they? :)

Good onya Daz, we can all feel your stoke levels mate.
Top work.
Cheers Steve

Hi Goldpick, I am amazed to tell you that both the coins, from the 1870's, and perhaps been in the ground for 140 yrs, were only a few inches down. In this same area, I found a Britannia penny as well and it was only about 2" down. How can a coin, where the is foot traffic around not be kicked out of the soil? I don't get it. But only a couple of inches down means its easier to find with the detector. On to the next one.

Tassie, great work on your find. I figured there would be a fair bit of fairly old items in the ground around that area. Ironically I found a very similar coin last night except 1878. Mine is a strange find as it was found next to a basketball court in Paralowie in an area developed in the 80's and only perhaps 5cm down.

Latest posts