Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent advice from everyone, specially sa bogan, id start with that :) Are you using the coin & relic mode or prospecting? I assume its the coin mode, try the auto tracking ground balance feature and switch it off when you find a target to save canceling/balancing out the good signal.

Hi guys,
Now I've read previous posts and know that I haven't bought a gold detector, but I have a couple of questions regarding my machine and its usefulness. It will be my first time looking for gold and I have a friend that will be using a SD2100, so we have a capable gold detecting machine that will be on the site as well. He has a few coils, an 8 inch and an 18 inch mono, and an 11 inch DD.
Using the 18.75khz 10x5 DD coil on my 705, would I actually cancel out any of these coils?
Should I be going through an area first, to clean out any junk items? Then come through with the SD, Or would I come through second?
Am hoping that the two of us can work as a team and cover as many bases as possible with one sweep.2 machines must be better than 1.Any advice will be appreciated.
I'm sort of assuming that NSW soil isn't as mineralised as Vic's or WA's, but I might just be grasping at straws, in hope that my 705 will be of use.
Cheers DAN

Minelab X-terra 705 gold pack and Coiltek 15" 18.75khz coil.

With original box. What are they worth used?

Cheers :)

I would go over the area with the 705 in coin and treasure mode first and try and remove the surface screamers and iron. This will free up you mate with the sd2100 by taking out the larger trash etc. Give it a try Dan, two people working together is a good way to go. Good luck. :)

So Dan, I'll start by saying I havn't actually found a nugget with my 705 but I have tested nuggets I have found.

Don't worry about helping your mate finding gold, all you have to do is walk over a 0.5gm nugget to get a clear signal. The smalller stuff will give a signal but you probably won't be able to identify it without hours of experience and griding an area really slowly.

Now for a dose of reality. I can count the number of greater than 0.5gm nuggets I have walked over with a 2300 on one hand so Gold is rare, that being said, the 705 can quickly remove trash in a high trash area, and high trash areas are that way because there was either lots of gold or grog or both. If my 2300 ever broke down I would target high trash areas with my 705 and be hopeful of finding a stray nugget and be certain of interesting relics and be quietly hopeful for some misplaced coins. I would be looking for a NSW holey dollar or sovereign as their value would blast any thought of gold into oblivion.

And an old pistol would be just as welcome.

rocketaroo said:
rory said:
thankyou mate will keep on trying all advice or settings r welcome for this machine first detector

I found the 705 hit better, when I switched to the concentric double d 8.5khz coil.

18.5khz you mean?

I used to use 705 and found the concentric a pain in mineralised ground. Unstable readouts and false id,s. Found the little elliptical dd was the coil to use where I am, central vic goldfields. But yeah, even using that coil the odd bit of iron fooled it, especially large bits and flat tin. Great little vlf though, found some nice species with it. Great on reef heaps with the coil I just mentioned.

Not sure off the top of my head, but a good way to work out what something sells for used is to look at finished auctions on ebay.
Search for the X-Terra 705 Gold pack on ebay and tick the checkboxes for used and completed listings and see what comes up.
Same for the coil.

Bit hard to put a price on used items as it all depends on age and condition etc.

Hope this helps.

Hey all after some assistance with coil issues on the 705.

Planned a day of detecting yesterday but the stock concentric coil on the 705 kept giving me the "CE" error. Basically the coil and control box weren't talking. Swapped to the stock DD coil and it worked!

Didn't mind too much but planned a beach day so I couldn't take my coil to water as I'd wanted.

I've only used the coil maybe 4-5 times? Each time it's been connected correctly and stored away after use to avoid bends/wear and tear on the line. Would this be under warranty?

What would be another option for an everyday coil? I've been reviewing the coiltek range but not sure on frequency I should be looking at. Ideally I'd like something for high trash areas, but also something I could take up the goldfields (on 4 weeks annual leave so I'm very keen!!)

Bad start to the holidays but I guess it confirms I really did want a new coil :rolleyes:

Have you made sure the correct coil is selected?
1453614752_xterra.jpg

Could be an issue with the wiring. I had three different coils that I unplugged/plugged in and worked with no issues.

If you are looking for another coil I would look at the DD 10" from miners den. It's round like the centric but is DD.

On another thought tho is the coil is goin to cost $250 give or take which is a fair bit. I reckon try and gain some going with the current set up as the DD coil you have it's pretty decent

Do a full reset on your detector and see if that fixes it, also make sure your coil plug is clean. If there's a bit of grit in there it might not be making a good connection. Still no joy, it should be covered under warranty.

Latest posts