Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Sandta said:
Good luck with Minelab ....
If its not new , their not interested
I cant even get a reply :mad:
They should have at least sent you an email reply but the Sovereign isn't serviceable anymore.
http://www.minelab.com/aus/customer-care-1/obsolete

Cheers mate i didnt know that.
But my email was simply asking for some advice.
They couldnt even be bothered to reply ,even when i followed up with a phone call( message left) and then another email
Piss poor in my opinion

Oh boy... sounds like it could be a number of things then..

I've checked the leads and made sure everything was well connected. Batteries were 100% full charge as I always hate not knowing when they'll conk out on a good hunt.
I haven't got a pair of headphones yet, these are on the way though and should arrive this week so if it happens again I'll try with them plugged in.

I had the sensitivity adjusted but I think that's what was causing it so when I just reset the detector I went back to basics to try. But I found it still struggled on the bottle caps in the area.

I'll hopefully try it once more this weekend to see if I have the same issues (armed with headphones as well I hope) but it's a little bit of a downer knowing it could be faulty... I too bought through Miners Den would I go through them or Minelab for an issue?

I had the same problem with the speaker failing to work intermittently.

Take some headphones with you next time, if the speaker goes mute plug them in and if they work your problem is a loose speaker connection inside the control box.

I rang minelab and they were happy to take it in for warrantee repair but not wanting to waste time in my search for the elusive florin I opened the box up (4screws) and unplugged and re plugged the speaker connection terminal and I havn't had a problem since.

Edit => Nugget if you read this, this was the problem you experienced when you borrowed my 705 at Hill End, I must have hit a few too may potholes. Sorry for that.

It took me about 3 months before I worked out what the problem was as it got progressively worse.

Wally69 said:

Take some headphones with you next time, if the speaker goes mute plug them in and if they work your problem is a loose speaker connection inside the control box.

I rang minelab and they were happy to take it in for warrantee repair but not wanting to waste time in my search for the elusive florin I opened the box up (4screws) and unplugged and re plugged the speaker connection terminal and I havn't had a problem since.

I'm terrible with wires... though it does sound tempting to open it and check. But as stated I'd be worried I'd void the warranty or break it further (which is quite possible for me :8 )

Avenged said:
Wally69 said:

I'm terrible with wires... though it does sound tempting to open it and check. But as stated I'd be worried I'd void the warranty or break it further (which is quite possible for me :8 )

MinersDen will help you with warrantee issues and have sent the items to minelab for me at their cost in the past. The speaker issue is a known issue and a simple fix so the turnaround should be quick but their workbench load will delay them at times.

In regard to jumping IDs, ringpulls and rusty iron are notorious for doing this but a small silver coin on its edge will also give a bouncing numbers response. Hitting the edge of these targets will usually give a different response number than going over the centre of it.

The pinpoint function is great to get a precise location and once centred, your 705 should give a more stable numbers response.

Only times I've found the 705 has muted is when I have selected pinpoint. On some occassions it has muted, I've just deselected and reselected and has been fine. Might be operator error though!

Zorgs said:
Only times I've found the 705 has muted is when I have selected pinpoint. On some occassions it has muted, I've just deselected and reselected and has been fine. Might be operator error though!
I've found the same thing happens with mine ,only in pinpoint
Apply the same fix and away you go,I was thinking operator error as well

Congratz Dan.
I found the 705 as a breeze to use as my first detector as a complete nooby.
I hope it serves you well :)
Here are some target IDs to help you out
1447744554_1388750996_705_target_ids.jpg

Sometimes the targets will read slightly higher and lower than the given IDs....however they are pretty accurate

AtomRat said:
Horse said:
Congratz Dan.
I found the 705 as a breeze to use as my first detector as a complete nooby.
I hope it serves you well :)
Here are some target IDs to help you out
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2101/1447744554_1388750996_705_target_ids.jpg

Sometimes the targets will read slightly higher and lower than the given IDs....however they are pretty accurate
I was just about to ask if someone had a 705 list ..top work Horse!

No worries AR...about time I got to help out with something instead of just benefiting from PA.

Latest posts