Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose I should have seen this coming. The last time I used this coil the sound dropped out completely while using it (without my knowledge for 10-15 minutes!)

So I'd already encountered issues with it on my last try too. Looks like it finally gave in though

I'd take the coil back to place of purchase and get them to sort it out for you, rather than sending it direct to Minelab. :)

Not sure if this will solve your coil issue or not but may be worth a try if you havnt solved the problem yet, its not in the user manual & if nothing else its definitely an interesting hidden feature of the xterra range.. came across it on another forum a while back..

"Hello All,
Early this year I was out detecting with my "Xterra 705". I was loosing alot of depth even with the sensitivity up as high as it goes.I waved my 9ct gold ring flush against the coil "Coiltek 6inch Digger" with no tone at all. So I sat there and started to press buttons just to see what happens. To my surprise I found if you press the + & - buttons together "hold" then power on the machine it constantly makes a tone and scrolls through all the settings and Icons until the coin and the pick icon show up and in bettween them is a chequered flag to say its complete. Turn the machine OFF then ON and its back to normal and synced my coil to the maching so it was running at optimal performance. What this did for me was a Diagnostics check to see if the machine was running correctly. It did fix my depth issue for the time being but once I swapped coils it happend again thus having to re do it again. I rang the Minelab service center in S.A and I was told the same thing that's how they do a Diagnostics Check to see how its performance through the machine was before they pulled them apart."Mine was missing a one portion/icon on the discrimination bar on the bottom of the screen thus showing an issue. Long story of chit chat short I had a part loose connection on the circut board and an issue with a connection on at the back of one of the battery terminals or something along the lines of that I was told by the technician. I was also told it sync's your coil to your machine and you should only do it once per coil so it runs as optimal as possible. I hope this help any of you out there, It sure helped me"

Husky

Wondering if anyone has noticed the cheap 705's that pop up on fleabay every now and then? New buy it now for around $400...

I have a couple of old garrets and a whites I was thinking of putting up and buying a 705.

Or would the old deepseeker or whites spectrum hold its own against the 705? Need gold and treasure capable.

Any advice would be great :/

Thanks

Second hand 705s seem to fetch around $500. Good buy if it has been looked after and still has warranty.

I agree on the Fors Gold +, but if the budget can't go that high, the Fors CoRe is just under a grand and is the more versatile machine for coins with COG (Salt) mode and a 3 tone disc mode that the Gold + doesn't have. Later down the track you could add the 10x5 or 5" round to enhance it's small gold ability. My CoRe with small coil is every bit as sensitive as my old 18000, even though the CoRe is only 15kHz.

one question you would have to ask with the machines mentioned is the recovery time - basically the 705 for its price is pretty quick in recovery, i wouldn't know how quick your older machines would be against it. It is good to have a machine that goes deep but you don't want one that can recover from hitting either iron or a good target - for example if you swing and hit iron, there is a time delay in which it takes the detector to recover from detecting that item and then allow you to detect another item - i found the 705 was pretty good with multiple targets next to each other and also being able to identify a bottle cap as it has a weird wobble of tones/id when you go back and forth over it. How quick is the FG phase tech?

A few 705's going for $550-600 on Facebook groups at the moment. Gold packs at that!

I'm on the hunt for one now too. Should have one in the next few weeks. Never pay retail. They go on special at Anaconda every couple of months.

After casually reading this site for a week or two i decided to keep a look out for a 705 as my first metal detector.
A couple weeks of searching Gumtree (W.A), and i have just found and secured (I'm away so sent the wife to collect) what i think is a BARGAIN!

It was a a lightly used 705 gold pack that included a garret pro pointer and unused headphones (not sure if these come in pack by default). for 550$ (advertised price was 600).

I'm pretty excited to get home and play with the new toys , we will be heading up to Jurien bay way next weekend so i'll be watching videos on how to do some setup and beach detecting. :D

not a bad price Justjoshin it will serve you well you can download the instruction manual from the minelab web site if you haven't got one.

Happy hunting.

Cheers :D

Latest posts