Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sa_bogan said:
one question you would have to ask with the machines mentioned is the recovery time - basically the 705 for its price is pretty quick in recovery, i wouldn't know how quick your older machines would be against it. It is good to have a machine that goes deep but you don't want one that can recover from hitting either iron or a good target - for example if you swing and hit iron, there is a time delay in which it takes the detector to recover from detecting that item and then allow you to detect another item - i found the 705 was pretty good with multiple targets next to each other and also being able to identify a bottle cap as it has a weird wobble of tones/id when you go back and forth over it. How quick is the FG phase tech?

Sorry mate, just saw your question then. The Fors Gold + in FAST disc mode is very quick. I'll have to record some footage to demonstrate. If I was going to the UK to hunt hammered coins that's what I'd be taking. I've used it for hunting goldies and it works perfectly for that purpose even though it was intended as a gold/relic machine.

The 705 is pretty quick, but I think the old Musketeer Advantage was quicker.

dave 14110,
thanks for that run down on the X terra 705. I'm also in the market for my first "real" metal detector (for goldfields use) and I am leaning towards this unit. I'm also considering the Minelab Eureka Gold at $1190. We're about to get the Caravan and Camping show here in Melbourne and there will be a few Sellers there. I'd like to go armed with some knowledge of options so if anyone has any ideas of GOLD detectors in that $1000 price range, I love to hear. Cheers.

Hey guys I started out with the 705 and as mentioned above its great on beaches and parks for coins and jewellery but after taking it go hill end and Sofala a few times I went out and got me a gpx which is a massive difference in hot ground.
The 705 is a good detector

Ive been after a detector for quite awhile now but being a pensioner it can be hard to get the cash up to buy one.

I bought it at Ananaconda this morning for $759

I joined there club last month and when they sent out the card they sent along a 20% discount coupon of your first purchase offer.

The offer had a day left so I went in there this morning to have a look. When I asked about the 20 % off the price for the Dual pack the bloke said that it was already on special this week but they would honor the discount off the full price.
That was ok with me .
When the assistant tried to put it through the register at the normal price it wouldnt allow it so he gave it to me at the on sale price less the 20% discount. So I saved $240 .

And to make it even better I was able to put down a $160 payment and get interest free payments for the next few months to pay it off.

Now I just have to learn how to drive it and find those little gold coins to pay for it each month.

Im one very happy bloke today , got a great deal. Im off to the local for a beer to celebrate.

cheers
Bob :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one Bob - you will be happy with the 705, it is a great machine for the hobby Detectorist and should pay for itself.

Get that overlapping swing happening and you won't miss much.

to hunt goldies, use the oval shaped coil. It separates the trash better, and you wont need the extra depth of the round coil.

Thanks for the support and advice,

I will be getting a sand scoop, digging tool, pin pointer and head phones next week hopefully and then I will be hitting a few areas that i have been researching.

Im off on holidays at the end of next month, up the mid north coast, so will be hitting the beaches when I cant get out fishing.

Im a carer for an 83 year old mate of mine and once I get the hang of the 705 I will be able to go night detecting locally once old Bill has gone to bed for the night.

So stay tuned for what if , anything that I find.

Cheers

Bob

Dan,
I have already copied the TID chart and have downsized it to business card size and laminated. Just working out how to mount it near the display screen so that I can see it while detecting until I memorize it.

cheers

Bob

Hello everyone we just learning and have this detector and this site is my first one I joined any help or info regarding anything that would help us would be much apriciated and we are in Hervey bay qld area

Latest posts