Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I actually got the detector from a chap in Port Macquarie Havinago. Great part of the east coast, I love it there. I doubt there is a park in Maitland that RJ hasn't been through Rocket. Hopefully the 705 can clean up what he's missed!! Thanks Horse, those numbers will come in very handy!

DAN77 said:
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I actually got the detector from a chap in Port Macquarie Havinago. Great part of the east coast, I love it there. I doubt there is a park in Maitland that RJ hasn't been through Rocket. Hopefully the 705 can clean up what he's missed!! Thanks Horse, those numbers will come in very handy!

I don't miss much. I can say that I have gone over ground that Rocket had detected with his 705 and I pulled silvers out. ;)
Detector or detectorist.... you decide :p

A great way of showing the TIDs. Clearly shows that the numbers can represent more than one type of target. Unfortunately pull tabs and bottle caps ring up the same as many quality targets.

1447746677_705ids.jpg

Ramjet said:
DAN77 said:

I don't miss much. I can say that I have gone over ground that Rocket had detected with his 705 and I pulled silvers out. ;)

I have found stuff in ground, that RJ had previously detected, I still do. He misses silvers, and coppers! He really does miss stuff, but he is right....so do I :) Its definately the detectorist lol

rocketaroo said:
Ramjet said:
DAN77 said:

I have found stuff in ground, that RJ had previously detected, I still do. He misses silvers, and coppers! He really does miss stuff, but he is right....so do I :) Its definately the detectorist lol

Did I mention Rocket is a terrible liar.

why is it that some spots i go to anywhere i put my detector is is going off its head with high pitch rapid tones no matter where i go i cant find a quite spot . yet i bring out the pinpointer and it shows nothing . have had 3 places in the nt where i driven out there and cant detect . am ground balancing noise canceling and changing the senitivity levels and it makes no difference please help guru's

Your 705 is a lot more sensitive than a pin pointer. Could be highly mineralized soil or EMI. Electro Magnetic Interference. I have been to spots where both my At Pro and Rocket's 705 were going crazy. Have a look around and no overhead power lines but there are lights around sporting fields. Our best guess... buried electrical cables.
Rocket's, 705 seemed more sensitive to it than my Pro. Overhead wires can upset them too. Have a look around for electric switch boxes, transformers etc.

A park close to me has a few spots like that....it has light towers and and underground cables.

The wet black sands of the beach are not your best friend either from my experience.

thanks guys but there is no power lights etc its a abandoned military base from the war there is only concrete slabs and old roads left any ideas

Rio in concrete maybe, buried steel? something is going on have you tried it a totally different location? Uranium deposits 8)

Try a few things together
Firstly you need to make sure that the threshold is only just audible to a quite hum. After that try auto ground balance so you don't have to worry about changing it all the time. finally drop the sensitivity to like 10 and slowly bring it up. Keeping all this in mind the higher the sensitivity the deeper you will go for your targets. What cool are you using?

Ramjet said:
rocketaroo said:
Ramjet said:
DAN77 said:

Did I mention Rocket is a terrible liar.

A domestic coming up soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, DD

Should be working well in the grass, give what I said a try. Check out my YouTube video to get the settings

Roy , the std coil will work just about everywhere unless you are hitting the beach as said before me the wet sand containing black sand will send it up the wall , the other place it will play up in the same manner is on red hot ground the likes found on gold fields
Other than that the 705 works well just about everywhere , my kids use it now and they have no problems finding goldies and the odd jewelry that they have to hand over to me of-cause :D \
When I 1st got my 705 , it was paid off in 7 hrs and $900 later from just one park alone

Marty

Might be deeper large iron giving off erratic high tone falsing at the high end of the conductivity scale (high tones/ID no.s). Discriminating out the last couple of ID numbers may help quieten things down, though will result in a fair bit of nulling if there is a hell of a lot of iron around.

I could imagine there would be a hell of a lot of buried junk in those old ww2 areas, with a possibility of everything being dozed and buried upon decommissioning vs being taken off site. Some areas may prove unworkable, with the iron completely masking anything of worth. :)

705 worked best for me at 7.5khz, all metal mode, slow swings, and wearing headphones. Sensitivity was usually best at 23, but dropped it down when it got batty.

Latest posts