Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey njj did you get to Bendigo? Seems the thread went a bit quiet after a differing of opinions! I too have a 705 and are still learning to use it, I guess we all would have bought a top of the range model if we were filthy rich and could afford a $5000+ machine and give it up if we got board! I guess the point I'm slowly getting to is how to get the best out of what we have after all it is sold as a all rounder not a nugget smasher. Anyways I'd be keen to hear how Bendigo went if you made it.

Cheers Ron.

Hi guys
just wondering is a print out of how the do a basic set up when going for a hunt?
my memory isnt the best and im pretty new, just after something i can take along on the hunt with me.

thanks

watch youtube videos mate, it depends where, and what your hunting for. Couple to watch:

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/LIqPldhaju4[/video]

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/qxs7-CeZtGA[/video]

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/sljm6_JLVgs[/video]

1442136408_1428584305_x-terra_id_chart.jpeg

can any one tell me why i am getting a high pitch tone and a id number of 42 on rusty nails and wire have got iron mask preset 1 on . have got threshold tone just so i can hear a faint humming am in coin mode . need help please

can anyone tell me why im getting target id 42 and a high pitch tone on rusty nails have got iorn mask preset 1 on . using con coil have got threshold just on a faint humming im sick of digging nails please help

Might be something more in the nails(from when they made them)... even with the ACE250 you sometimes get rusty stuff ringing up higher,... could also be an effect of the soil composition as they are rusting,... probably be a different story in another spot on any other day(mostly). Usually find cast iron rings up higher,... maybe someone threw cast iron into the batch whenthey made the nails you are getting now,... woulda all been bought at the one time for the job. :)
It's all just a maybe though rory. :D

Rusty iron can give off high tone falsing on most detectors, though often non repeatable ID's and the numbers can bounce from a negative iron ID straight up to the high 40's range. It is often called the "wrap around effect", and is the culprit is supposedly the halo given off by rusty objects in the soil. I did read that you can notch out a couple of the very top ID numbers to reduce the amount of falsing, and also that the lower frequency coils tend to be less prone to the falsing. Obviously you don't want to notch out too many high range numbers, as you may start missing high conductor coins like large silvers.

Probably best course of action is to tune your ears to ignore the non repeatable spikes, as they are often brief and will not repeat on each swing of the coil vs the solid repeatable tone/ID of a coin.

Also running a too higher sensitivity setting can make the falsing more pronounced, so maybe wind the setting back a bit to see if it helps. I get the same spikes on my Etrac, and reduced sensitivity does seem to help in areas full of rusted iron. :)

thankyou mate will keep on trying all advice or settings r welcome for this machine first detector

Large iron has a high ferrous content but it it is also conductive. Look at where most iron falls on the Etrac and CTX - bottom right corner.
So yes on a straight line discrimination where iron is on the left and high conductive in the right, you often get iron junk popping their head out at the high end. But they are easy to ID as the readout wont be consistent.

If you're unsure, press AM and then you'll hear the low tone beeps and just keep walking.

Nenad

awesome man thankyou so much for that dont now anyone in the NT who has a 705 i appreciate your help

rory said:
thankyou mate will keep on trying all advice or settings r welcome for this machine first detector

I found the 705 hit better, when I switched to the concentric double d 8.5khz coil.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone who's used the 705 ever encountered an issue with the sound muting itself? Or I suppose the other issue I had was signals jumping all over the place...(which may be a result to a new area I was at.)

Took the 705 to a new area this weekend and for the second time now I was wondering why I hadn't had any beeps until I looked at the control screen and noticed it was still working but without sound? (note: I didn't have headphones plugged in) I hadn't touched the control screen but switched it off and back on and the volume came back which was a good sign. I did notice as well that the ID numbers were jumping all over the place and found it extremely hard to get a location of where something was. Half the numbers jumped between 8 - 20 and some 32 - 40 and I could never really pin point the spot to do the plug. When I swapped over to the pin pointer that didn't even find anything in the area (though I'm aware it could have been deeper than the pin pointer would go.)

Same thing happened last week with the sound where it seemed to mute itself. Again I'd walked about 100 metres thinking I was just in a pretty poor area where someone had either cleaned up before, or I was just unlucky to find something. But when I looked I noticed it was still working (scanned over my shoe buckle to be on the safe side) :8

Can't be too sure what this is or whether I should contact Minelab to assist with the warranty?

Not sure about the muting of the audio, but maybe you are experiencing some EMI interference from electrical sources. Ensure you do a noise cancel, and if still an issue, you may need to reduce sensitivity till the 705 settles down. If none of this makes any sort of difference, maybe there are other gremlins at play, and may also tie in with the audio issue. In that case, best to get it checked out by Minelab

One other thing, a simple mistake that even the most seasoned detectorist can make is to not check that the coil lead is firmly plugged in. This will also cause erratic behaviour if the connection is loose, I've been guilty of this too. ;)

Crazy numbers, maybe hot rocks, or an iron infested site. Did you try turning down the sensitivity? Sound issue, not sure, did you try headphones when the speaker was quiet? Batteries got a good charge? Cable connector to headunit properly connected/all the way in, not loose? Maybe conductive dirt in the coil cover, clean that out. Possible underground powerlines, they screwed with my 705.

Sandta said:
Good luck with Minelab ....
If its not new , their not interested
I cant even get a reply :mad:

His 705 was purchased new from Miners Den, so should be fine regarding a warranty claim. Though as you mention, they do claim to no longer support some superceded models. :)

Latest posts