Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info guys, its hard to make a decision!

I've heard you can demo coils at coiltek in maryborough, anyone know if you can borrow the two coils in question for a day to see what you think and purchase the model you like? Or do you get like an hour or two with them?

Thanks again!

Thanks very much everyone I will drop it in to central west prospecting and hopefully they can sort it out

My vote goes to the 12" NF.

Goes slightly deeper on larger targets
Built like a tank, but still a thin profile
Smaller shaft mount so there's more room for sweeping dirt across the coil
Don't like how my 14" camo is badly scratched after only light use - not that that affects finding targets in any way
Pressure valve on the Evo coils - very good idea!

I had the identical problem ... what it turned out to be was the headphones I was using.

The male headphone pin was a few millimeters longer in its shaft length and the points of contact inside the female socket (in the battery pack) were being bridged incorrectly when the plug had stress applied to it, resulting in the internal amp being switching on into the headphones.
The remedy, I got new headphones. ... problem solved regardless of how much stress tension was applied.

Like with all electrical things, the problem needs to be isolated. There are 3 basic areas to look at.

• The detector[/*]
  • The Battery[/*]
  • The Headphones[/*]

The guy I mentioned had a GPX5000, so do I. So we started by swapping headphones mine to his. The problem was still there, so not the phones as they were ok on my machine.

We then put his battery on my machine and the problem was still there with either headphone set. So we start to lean toward battery. We confirmed this by putting my battery on his machine and with either set of phones, there was no problem. So in a few minutes we isolated the battery as the cause.

condor22 said:
Like with all electrical things, the problem needs to be isolated. There are 3 basic areas to look at.

• The detector[/*]
  • The Battery[/*]
  • The Headphones[/*]

The guy I mentioned had a GPX5000, so do I. So we started by swapping headphones mine to his. The problem was still there, so not the phones as they were ok on my machine.

We then put his battery on my machine and the problem was still there with either headphone set. So we start to lean toward battery. We confirmed this by putting my battery on his machine and with either set of phones, there was no problem. So in a few minutes we isolated the battery as the cause.

Perfect , good diagnostic skills are the first step good mechanics :D :D

Has anyone on here used the new nugget finder 12" to back up the article in gg&t mag, the fella reviewing it made it sound like the best thing since sliced bread, just sounded like a massive sales pitch to me, is it realy that good?
Any field use advice on the new NF 12" would be awesome :cool:

Thanks

M3

Thanks again for more advice.

It certainly is a tough decision.

The GG&T article did sound great, bit of a shame he didnt test it along side the coiltek elite 11 for comparison.

Organising to purchase from Coiltek in maryborough and they are going to let me use both for a day (test coils), and i'll buy the new coil i prefer.
Can't beat that for service.

Hey all,

Have been to a spot recently where ive found 6 or so small nuggers within a 10m x 10m square area. (Does that count as a patch?)
The ground is absolutely whisper quiet, running fine gold, gain 14, stab 8, audio quiet.
I can detect around that area all day with no ground noise, its great, then i walk 10m the colour of the ground changes to a darker red and i start getting heaps of ground noise on each swing.

Im still definitely a noob with the 5000. Which settings and what order am i suppose to change things in to try and get rid of some of the ground noise?

Some areas i have no problems in, some areas are terrible. Just trying to work out the best way to get it stable for detecting when the ground is noisy.

Thanks heaps

Your already getting rid of a lot of ground noise by combining both the FG timing and the use of Quiet in the audio. You could dumb the machine down more by way of settings.....however there is one more combo that will certainly knock a lot more off the ground info and that is S/Smooth and Quiet in the audio.
Id simply slow down the swing speed more so than dumb the detector down anymore than it is. Quiet in the Audio knocks off a lot of information, and the Smooth timings (S/S..FG..Enhance already take care of a lot of ground noise by design.

Assuming your using a mono-loop coil with the above settings you mentioned.?

Target volume i cant't remember off the top of my head, i think something like 12-14 sounds right from memory. I'll check tonight.

Yep, last time out was with a 17x13" Nugget finder.

I'll give the slow swing a go and also try sensitive smooth, see what sort of difference that makes.

Mate are you running in tracking or fixed ground balance? sounds like a ground balance issue. In a lot of the ground around gold sometimes you need to ground balance every couple of metres. One handy tip is when you get a bit of ground noise in fixed and you know it is ground noise ground balance over the top of that ground noise and this can help the 5000 iron out a little bit. When in really hot ground I run in tracking and then use the quick track button when a target is located so it can't balance yellow out. End of the day in some ground you are never going to get a stable machine without killing the 5000 capabilities and read your manual back to front so you know what each setting does and you will learn what settings are required for what ground types.

Always run in fixed, ground balancing when required.

I actually have never tried running in tracking over noisy ground. I should do that to see how it goes.

Thanks for the heads up

thanks goldwright. I really need to spend a day in the field testing all the settings, but who has time when theres gold to find!

Hi everyone it ended up being my headphones just got them replaced uder warranty thanks very much for all your replies
Happy detecting all
Pete

Latest posts