Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, don't feel overwhelmed by the 5000.
There is nothing wrong with Factory presets and the supplied 11" commander coil.
It is a very good and overlooked coil.

Hey all,

Looking to get myself a nice coil to replace the standard minelab 11" mono on the gpx5000.

Looking at either the nuggetfinder 12" or the coiltek 14"

Have there been any reviews done to compare the two?

Or does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks heaps

Neo__04 said:
Hey all,

Looking to get myself a nice coil to replace the standard minelab 11" mono on the gpx5000.

Looking at either the nuggetfinder 12" or the coiltek 14"

Have there been any reviews done to compare the two?

Or does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks heaps
I think the 12" is the perfect size as you can swing it in those real shrubby spots were you cant swing the bigger coils.. its very sensitive and good depths
cheers
stoppsy

I agree the NF 12x7 is a great coil, I have been finding pieces down to 0.04g which is amazing. I also love the ability to poke around under and in between bushes, its also really easy to push under leaf litter due to it being so narrow.

you are asking the 52 $ question how long is a piece of string
there are more 14 coltek coils out there as they were on the market first they are heaver than the NF coils but are getting good results
The 12 NF coil has good reports on its finds
I have been using a proto type 12 nf and just for the weight factor I would go that way
but both coils do a good job regards john :)

1000 Coiltek 14 Elite sold in a few months..soon get use to a little extra weight..bigger coils not so easy to pinpoint with, but cover more ground..and you spend more time looking and covering ground than you do digging..This coil seems to find gold,,big and small.just got to walk over it..
Cheers..

Hey all,

Run a GPX5000 and am looking for a nice new coil to supplement my collection.

I have the standard minelab coils that come with the propack and Also the Nuggetfinder 17x13.

Im looking for a good medium size coil as my go to coil.

Cant really decide between the nuggetfinder 12" and the coiltek elite mono 11 & 14.

Anyone able to recommend a coil?

Neo I have use the 11 and 14 elite coiltek coils they are both good coils at the moment I am using a 12 NF evo and at this stage its my go to coil i do really like it , I have found that with all these coils I am digging more mineral ,more charcoal and more gold at a depth regards john :)

Thanks silver, I'll grab a copy at lunch time and have a read.

Also thanks old hand, Mind if i ask why the nugget finder over the coiltek coils?

Neo__04 said:
Thanks silver, I'll grab a copy at lunch time and have a read.

Also thanks old hand, Mind if i ask why the nugget finder over the coiltek coils?
There is an article in it about a ML5000 and a new type of nugget finder 12" trial coil he was testing.(page 10) :)

Neo I dont think there is alot between the NF and Coiltek with the new tech. They are great coils and very sensitive but they grab more ground noise but this can be ironed out with the 5000. I have both the 11 and 14 coiltek and just love the 11. I am yet to use the 14 as it only just arrived but feel I will only use when tiding up a patch. To be honest I only purchased one of the new coils as my commander 11 was noisy as and needed replacing but I was surprised at how good the little 11 punched deeper than I expected even on the really small stuff.

Yes no worries Neo the 11 elite I must say I was very happy with the way it preformed but the 12 NF is lighter has 3 years warranty and the results I have been getting from it on old ground has been eye opener regards john :)

Hi everyone I have owned my 5000 since November has ran perfectly up until last week with the problem being when I lean over to use my pick or just bump the head phone cable I get a sudden increase in volume its enough to blow your eardrums is there anyone else that has experienced this? Many Thanks
Pete

I had a friend in Dunolly that was getting some static on his GPX5000. He took it to Coiltek in Maryborough. The audio amp in the battery was faulty, but there was nothing wrong with the battery side of things. What they did was open up the battery and disconnect the amp. This cost a minimal amount and was much cheaper than sending it back to Minelab for repair and a helluva lot cheaper than a new battery.

The result was that it worked as normal with headphones, but not with an external speaker. If you want to use a speaker you would need something like the Roster Booster.

He was happy to go this way because he only ever used headphones.

It sounds like you have damaged the audio amp part of your battery.

Pete, sounds like you have bad wiring in the headphones which may be triggering the internal amp. I would guess that getting a new 1/4 plug put on would most likely solve the problem.

Nenad

Hey everyone
When it's time for me to buy new coil I'm going to buy the coiltek 11 elite I think it's got a Slight advantage on the small targets yes it's more heavy but then it is more cheaper then there Nf

For the big coil I am going to buy the NF15"

Cheers Mitch

Latest posts